Next Level As a Hunter

CAB

FNG
Was curious what people had to say when it came to what they believe got them to that next level as a hunter. The next level could mean, higher success rate, better hunts, being able to accomplish various elements that you might have struggled with in the past when it comes to hunting(ex.spot and stalking animals).

For myself I still have a low success rate when it comes to big game hunting....except for turkey hunting. Idk why but for some reason turkey hunting really clicks for me. What helped me was understanding why Toms are gobbling or why they aren't gobbling, when to make Toms gobble and when to just put the call down. I feel like I understand turkeys and how to hunt them far greater than any other species.

Just thought this could be a fun topic to see what helped other hunters or what they have learned over the years.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Year long dedication to the one species, including dreaming 🥰 reliving training practice, scouting, planning, refining, anything that would help give me an edge and then dedicating enough time in the woods to give myself the opportunity to capitalize when presented......anyone can get lucky every few years and luck is welcomed but for success every year for a sustained period of time like any sport or activity the prepared one will start to stack them up🤙

Without claiming I'm a "Next Level Hunter" I'll say that my success rate skyrocketed from two factors, going solo and a commitment to scouting. Show up in a new place or start hunting a new species - or both - with hunting partners or without scouting and you might get lucky, but you won't be consistent. I have maybe two hunting partners that I don't consider hindrances to my chance of success.

I have done much of what others have said. But I have also and continue to scout during the off season. Putting pressure on the bucks during the off season to see what they do and where they go; the latter can be difficult to figure out. I want to know their escape routes, different bedding areas, especially the bedding areas during times of pressure. I also scout during the season. I mean I have allocated a given number of days to hunting, so why stop once you have your animal. There is so much you can learn during the season, as it directly relates to what the animals are doing during the time you hunt them. So many people get an animal and just head home and are done; I for one just do not get that, as it is a waste of some of the most valuable time.

Or to state it another way. You can scout till hell freezes over during the off season, not putting any pressure on the animals, and see their normal routines. And, your expectations during the season are going to match what you have seen during your off season non-pressure scouting. So it makes sense to purposely put pressures on animals when scouting.

Knowing that you do not chase after animals, you will never catch-up to them. You need to move and get ahead of them, so you need to project where they are going. Getting up and moving to a good location, and getting there in the dark with enough dark left for the place to settle, before first light. Then just glass and look... letting the animals present themselves. But stay still and quiet.

But overall, it has been time in the field, reading research, and slowly putting pieces together.

There is so much more, but I am sure others will cover things.

Maverick1

WKR
Was curious what people had to say when it came to what they believe got them to that next level as a hunter.

Manscaping. Definitely manscaping.

(With 20 posts on this site, the search function will have to be your friend on that one, OP!)

Lots of things have helped along the way. Pinpointing it to two:

Taking two weeks of vacation instead of one. (Cuts the learning curve in half!). This results in more time in the field, more encounters, and more experience that can be applied in the future.

Being driven to succeed. Not casually interested, or "kinda/sorta" into it, or even momentarily "motivated". Driven....as in borderline obsessed. I suppose that approach bleeds over into other aspects of the process (scouting, physical fitness, watching videos/reading books, researching equipment, etc.)

Last edited:

Marble

WKR

Being driven to succeed. Not casually interested, or "kinda/sorta" into it, or even momentarily "motivated". Driven....as in borderline obsessed. I suppose that approach bleeds over into other aspects of the process (scouting, physical fitness, watching videos/reading books, researching equipment, etc.)

This above..

In the last 18 years, there were two years I was not successful killing a bull and/or a cow. This was due to second guessing and trying to kill a bigger bull. I didn't trust my instincts and really wasn't focused on the hunt.

I adopted the mantra of "no regrets". So I do not stop, or choose to not go down or up that nasty hike. If I do push the easy button, I always regret it. Then for the next year I just lament over not being successful.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It starts with a passion.......or more like an obsession like Ross and Robby laid out. I've always been an elk hunter.......probably since I could crawl.....and my dad wasn't even much of a hunter. Here I am at 4 years old with my two sisters, and I already knew what my lifetime of hunting would be about.100_4039.JPG
I always wanted to bow hunt, but being LH with a very long draw........back then there just wasn't much help or information to help........or bows to fit me. So I rifle hunted for years. But the biggest thing that launched me to the "next level" was finally making that switch to a bow. It's been pretty insane ever since. And my wife thought I was obsessed before that. Chasing big screaming bulls with a bow is life-changing. I've shot a few other things along the way with a bow (this year shot a moose and a sheep), but I'm an elk hunter. When you eat, sleep, and dream bugling bulls 365 days a year, you can't help but be on that next level. Anything less is unacceptable.

Superdoo

WKR
For me it was a combination of keeping myself physically fit (which keeps my mind on the task instead of on the pain), becoming more familiar with my gear (rifle time, test runs, etc.) so I know what I want to use and when I should use it, and time in the field learning what the animals in my spot are doing.

Tdmouse29

FNG
More time scouting and in the field.

Let the glass do the walking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quit messing around with all the species I wasn't really passionate about but was burning precious vacation days, money, and energy on. I miss elk hunting sometimes. But I'll survive.
I am halfway through reading your book. I am enjoying it. I especially like your hunting stories and sharing your thought process.