Next optic purchase (binos, range finder, or …)

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All. Long time lurker and new member. I am considering upgrading a pair of Steiner Military Marine 10x50 binos from 1970. They work alright, but I feel like modern glass is a big improvement in clarity. I’m on a budget and have been reading various reviews here and else where.

Does it make more sense to upgrade binos (to say Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42) or snag a range finder (e.g. Sig Kilo or Vortex Impact)? I’m going to try to scrape together funds for both. I’m hunting for blacktail deer and black bear in the coastal range primarily with the occasional trip to cascades. I keep considering a spotting scope, but I have no experience using one in the field. Any input is appreciated!

sndmn11

WKR
Do you rifle hunt or bowhunt?
It sounds like you current do not have a rangefinder?
In those two areas, what is a typical day of hunting like? In what terrain and vegetation?

OP
B

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Do you rifle hunt or bowhunt?
It sounds like you current do not have a rangefinder?
In those two areas, what is a typical day of hunting like? In what terrain and vegetation?
Rifle hunt for now. I used to bow hunt, but in a fit of stupidity, sold my bow.
I do not yet have a rangefinder at all. So far, I’m either trying to find knobs looking out/at clear cuts or in super thick coastal underbrush (Oregon on west side of Willamette valley). I’m still trying to find my “spots” since I think I’m hunting areas too frequented by people. I’m hunting with my 4 year old too so I can only go 1-2 miles away from the truck for now.

Dominic06

FNG
I have a pair of Vortex Dimondback 10x42s, they are a great set of binos, but the vortex glass has a blue tint to it. I really like them though. I would probably spend a little extra money and go with the Leupold BX-2 10x42s instead. My next pair I am probably going to get Leupolds though. Also I would highly recommend a nice bino harness, I have the vortex glasspak and don’t like it. Super noisy, straps frey and suck. I am definitely going to be upgrading to the KUIU Pro Bino Harness, so many accessories you can add on to that one. So definitely don’t cheap out on a bino harness. Kuiu makes great ones, badlands make great ones and a bunch of other companies. For a good bino harness you should at least spend 80 +.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Vortex Dimondback 10x42s, they are a great set of binos, but the vortex glass has a blue tint to it. I really like them though. I would probably spend a little extra money and go with the Leupold BX-2 10x42s instead. My next pair I am probably going to get Leupolds though. Also I would highly recommend a nice bino harness, I have the vortex glasspak and don’t like it. Super noisy, straps frey and suck. I am definitely going to be upgrading to the KUIU Pro Bino Harness, so many accessories you can add on to that one. So definitely don’t cheap out on a bino harness. Kuiu makes great ones, badlands make great ones and a bunch of other companies. For a good bino harness you should at least spend 80 +.

Thanks for that info! I’ll check out the Leupolds as well.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Welcome to RS. As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

BWB

FNG
You can't range an animal you never found in the first place. Unless you are "Long Range Hunting" - I'd upgrade glass to the best you can possibly afford and then a little more :) then find yourself a nice used rangefinder in the Classifieds later down the road. Obviously personal preference.

Dominic06

FNG
What is your budget for a set of binos? Rangefinder budget?

OP
B

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
What is your budget for a set of binos? Rangefinder budget?

I got a Sig Kilo rangefinder on sale for $120. Binos are $200 or less for now. I know I will upgrade in a few years when I get a better sense of what I need here