Next rifle?

03mossy

WKR
I went on my first western hunt this past fall and am absolutely hooked! I took my Savage 116 “classic” 30-06 w/ Leupold VX-6. Love that rifle but the beautiful wood stock took an absolute beating and will need to be refinished. I thought about just replacing the stock with a McMillian but can’t bring myself to do it cause I like that rifle the way it is. And at the price of a McMillian I am close to the price of a new rifle so that is the route I am leaning. I am open to suggestions for my new Elk/mule deer/ moose/ bear etc. Basically might be used for anything on the harsher hunts I don’t want to carry my wood stocked Savage. I am not a long range guy and don’t see ever shooting game past 4-500 yaIn my mind the front runners are-

Browning Hells canyon Speed .270 or .300wsm

Kimber Montana .280ai or .300wsm

Tikka T3x Superlite .270 or .300 win mag

I know there are tons of threads on this subject already and debated even posting this but thought I would seek advice from more experienced western hunters.
Thank you
5632CBBC-834B-4DF9-9A0C-7C578095E5B2.jpeg
B99EBEFC-F39E-4ABE-81CE-0BAD501286D3.jpeg

Any of the three you mention will make you happy. I would like the Brownings better but for the stock design and the strange hand grip they have (to me, anyway). Tikka's are as solid as everyone says they are. I've owned four now. Of the three, I'd probably go Kimber just because of all I've heard about them, because I want a .280 AI someday, and because I've never owned one. But that's just me.

Keep it simple and save yourself some money. I would just replace the wood stock with a synthetic one and have your local gunsmith fit and glass bed it. Replacement stock doesn't have to be a high end MacMillan. I replaced the wood stock on my Savage 111 7 mm Rem. Mag. and the rifle is still a tack driver elk killer.

Apollo117

WKR
Stay with what you know. As @ElkArcher918 suggested, you don't have to get a McMillan. B&C makes stocks inletted for Savage and so does Stockade for about $300 to $350.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have or have had all of those rifles at some point. The browning is a good gun, I didn’t like the trigger, sold it.

I love my kimbers, I’ve never experienced any of the horror stories I’ve read about online. I have a Montana 308 and a mountain ascent 300wsm. I’m looking to buy a mountain ascent 6.5creed.

tikkas are....tikkas. No frills just accurate rifles out of the box, I have a 6.5creed and a 270 but wouldn’t mind having one in 300wsm.

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
I shot a couple Tikkas and like them. Handled the Browning HC speed and loved everything about it but the detachable mag. The stock fit amazing to me. I have not been able to handle a Kimber. A negative to the Browning or Kimber is I like to tinker and both those there isn’t much to do. I’ve put together about a dozen Savages and always enjoyed the process. The Tikka seems to have pretty good aftermarket support now.

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
This line of thinking keeps coming into my mind whenever I get close to adding another rifle. I do love my ‘06

I love honest wear and tear on a hunting rifle!

Personally, I would keep hunting with the rifle you love and relish ever dent, scratch, chip and the worn bluing and pitting and rust spot.

JMDavies

WKR
All three are solid rifles. I owned a Hells Canyon in the past and really liked it. You'd also get the McMillan stock you're interested in with the purchase. Two cents!

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Decided to go the cheap route for now on this. Bought a used accustock and had my daughter help me with a paint job with colors I had on hand. Did a stone texture paint as the base to give the stock a nice grip. Should work till I figure out what I want to do.
E689AA03-306C-4E53-A3DE-ECEF601CA10E.jpeg

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Well plans changed again. I kept my WTB ad open after I bought the accustock and ended up getting an offer for a like new bell and Carlson stock for a good price. Should be here Friday. Hopefully this solves the issue in my head and gets rid of the itch for a new rifle. If not I guess I keep saving.

Well plans changed again. I kept my WTB ad open after I bought the accustock and ended up getting an offer for a like new bell and Carlson stock for a good price. Should be here Friday. Hopefully this solves the issue in my head and gets rid of the itch for a new rifle. If not I guess I keep saving.

If you end up getting another rifle I see nothing wrong with any of your choices. The browning is a good gun if you get the timney for it. The Kimbers I have are all accurate(308 and 280ai) and the tikkas are just no frills good shooters(have a 6.5, have a 300wsm that will be here tomorrow. Have had a 30-06, 7mag, and a 260).

RS3579

WKR
I like the Browning. I have a couple of them. .243,30.06, 300wsm is my choice. they all shoot great.

rayporter

WKR
scratch that itch,
buy a really nice new rifle and oil it down good then put it in the back of the safe and ferget it.

keep the old reliable and let the dings tell a story, cause even the new stock will get them.