Next ultra light rifle options?

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get another rifle and since I can't find any Barret Fieldcrafts trying for the next best thing.

Looking for 6.5cm, ~5.2lbs, threaded barrel will have a dedicated suppressor either TBAC ulta 5 or a dominus cb, 18" or 16.5" barrel willing to hear either side, still waffling on detachable mag or not.

So my options seem to be:
1. pay $3.5k+ for a used Fieldcraft if I can find it.
2. buy a savage ultralight 110 for $1300 and a proof barrel of correct size for $800 and be 1/2 lb heavy
3. build a custom gun for $3k, never done it don't really know where to start.

I'm leaning to number 2. Thoughts?

280ack

FNG
NULA, Melvin Forbes he started and set the standards for light weight rifles, you will not be disappointed.

CONTACT MELVIN FORBES​

Contact.jpg

madcalfe

WKR
savage 110 ultralite, already has a proof barrel but 22"
kimber montana, or mountain ascend can chop barrel to desired length
tikka t3 replace stock with a wildcat and chop barrel.
weatherby backcountry ti
all those guns will be in the 5.5lbs range.

or build a custom

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I'd steer clear of option 2 unless you are just chasing weight. It will likely be accurate but I'm not a fan of the action, trigger, or stocks on Savages. Have I ever noticed the smoothness of a bolt while hunting? No but I shoot more shots on the range than hunting.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Do the kimber still have a non 5/8x24 threaded barrel? I know its very slim so getting a suppressor on it last time I was looking seemed tricky or needing an adaptor.

Same with the weatherby, pencil thin barrel needing an adaptor

seems savage seems most cost effective right now, but heaviest, unless its got a filled stock like the kimbers do. And I had concerns with the savage trigger and action.

If I had to go the custom route I really like the APR Tomahawk, its basically a custom Sig Cross-which I'd eat the weight for that but I'll never buy another Sig. I just wish there was a folding stock for the XLR element on the APR Tomahawk that was as easily adjustable as the Sig. I'm sure there is but I haven't found it.

madcalfe

WKR
oh right needing a suppressor... well that eliminates all those guns if your wanting a 5/8 24 thread without a adapter. i cant see there being quite enough meat on the barrels without a adapter.

Do the kimber still have a non 5/8x24 threaded barrel? I know its very slim so getting a suppressor on it last time I was looking seemed tricky or needing an adaptor.

Same with the weatherby, pencil thin barrel needing an adaptor

seems savage seems most cost effective right now, but heaviest, unless its got a filled stock like the kimbers do. And I had concerns with the savage trigger and action.

If I had to go the custom route I really like the APR Tomahawk, its basically a custom Sig Cross-which I'd eat the weight for that but I'll never buy another Sig. I just wish there was a folding stock for the XLR element on the APR Tomahawk that was as easily adjustable as the Sig. I'm sure there is but I haven't found it.
Look at the Christensen Arms Ridgeline Titanium or the Scout. All of their carbon barrels come with a 5/8-24 thread

RS3579

WKR
Kimber Hunter or Savage 110 Lightweight Storm. Easy enough to get a barrel threaded.
I have the LW Storm in 7mm-08 With a Swarovski Z3 in DNZ and it weighs 6lb 12oz. Very nice to carry. The stock isn’t the greatest but it shoots excellent and that makes up for the stock.

Looking to get another rifle and since I can't find any Barret Fieldcrafts trying for the next best thing.

Looking for 6.5cm, ~5.2lbs, threaded barrel will have a dedicated suppressor either TBAC ulta 5 or a dominus cb, 18" or 16.5" barrel willing to hear either side, still waffling on detachable mag or not.

So my options seem to be:
1. pay $3.5k+ for a used Fieldcraft if I can find it.
2. buy a savage ultralight 110 for $1300 and a proof barrel of correct size for $800 and be 1/2 lb heavy
3. build a custom gun for $3k, never done it don't really know where to start.

I'm leaning to number 2. Thoughts?
I would build without a doubt
Here's a list of components that will get you there:

Defiance anTi action -21oz $1000

16" prefit #3 contour 2lbs ish $ 375 from
McGowen, or PBB threaded 5/8×24

MPI ultralight stock $775 17 oz bedded

Hawkins BDL bottom metal and mag box $200 4oz

Triggertech special $200 2oz ish

You can easily be sub 5 lbs for under $3000

z987k

WKR
If you want a fieldcraft, call up Melvin Forbes and get a model 20 short. The fieldcrafts were(are) great because you were basically getting a $2000 discount on a Forbes. Now that fieldcrafts are stupid expensive, no reason not to get the real thing.

The savage, Christensen, basically all the other "lightweight" factory guns are 1.5-2+ pounds heavier than a Forbes/FC. Boat anchors. And you're paying a lot of money for something that in no way is actually light. A lightweight mountain rifle is 5 or less pounds bare. Not 6+ for over $2k.
A Tikka is lighter than a Christensen Ti for craps sake. Just because they're using composite stocks, carbon barrels and titanium actions does not mean the gun is light. Most all of them are not.
Actually a carbon barrel is a red flag if you're looking for the ultimate lightweight gun. They weigh more than an appropriate steel.

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
I just sent you a message about a fieldcraft I may be willing to part with. In regards to the folding stock for the XLR though, XLR makes a folding adapter that I believe works with all of their chassis. I have one on an XLR element chassis and it works great, has a small push button on the side. It does not lock in the folded position though, certainly not floppy or loose either though.

z987k

WKR
XLR makes a folding option like said above, and you don't have to use their stock. You can buy the element without and source one you like.