NF NXS 2.5-10 Better option?

cmahoney

WKR
I am putting together a fairly lightweight 6XC that my kids and wife will use along with me. I need to dial elevation, I don’t want them using a reticle.

Is there a lighter weight option that is as reliable as the NXS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
6x, 3-9 are lighter and are typically extremely reliable.

The 6 is the same weight and the 3-9 is an oz lighter than the NXS. I just checked, for those stats I still like the NXS. I have 3 of the SWFA fixed 6’s and love them but I want this rifle to have some more features.

It’s a bummer the Z5 has a bad rap for tracking.

I went on this same journey and my rifle still has the NXS. If you find something I’ll be interested to hear about it.

davsco

WKR
the 2.5-10x42, right, that is one SUPER bright and SUPER clear glass/reticle!

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA 3-15 isn’t much heavier but I like mine a lot. It sits on a semi custom 6xc and I’ve shot and dialed it A BUNCH with zero complaints.

The 6 is the same weight and the 3-9 is an oz lighter than the NXS. I just checked, for those stats I still like the NXS. I have 3 of the SWFA fixed 6’s and love them but I want this rifle to have some more features.

It’s a bummer the Z5 has a bad rap for tracking.

Z5 tracks, it just tracks 1/4" @ 100 yds instead of 1/4 MOA.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ll be the dissenting voice here. The nxs 2.5-10 sort of sucks. I’ve had a few of them, the reticles is BS and hard to see, the eye relief is lame. SWFA 3-9 is a superior aiming device.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I’ll be the dissenting voice here. The nxs 2.5-10 sort of sucks. I’ve had a few of them, the reticles is BS and hard to see, the eye relief is lame. SWFA 3-9 is a superior aiming device.

Thanks for the input, I have a bigger NXS that I really like with a MOAR reticle. I’ll take another look at the SWFA 3-9

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the input, I have a bigger NXS that I really like with a MOAR reticle. I’ll take another look at the SWFA 3-9

I know it’s all up to personal preference and nightforce scopes are very nice, I went all in with the 2.5-10mxs scopes a year or 2 ago. I just found myself missing my SWFA 3-9. I finally just got a few more 3-9s to replace the ones I foolishly sold back when they were easy to buy. It’s a good feeling having those again.

fatbacks

WKR
I’m a fan boy for the NXS 2.5-10. Had many scopes from almost all the manufacturers… there is a reason I have three rifles topped with the NXS 2.5-10. Best all around hunting scope on the market in my opinion. Only thing I would change would be capped windage, although I’ve carried them for quite a few miles through Alaska and it’s never come off zero - not even through nasty bush whacks in Kodiak

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I’m a fan boy for the NXS 2.5-10. Had many scopes from almost all the manufacturers… there is a reason I have three rifles topped with the NXS 2.5-10. Best all around hunting scope on the market in my opinion. Only thing I would change would be capped windage, although I’ve carried them for quite a few miles through Alaska and it’s never come off zero - not even through nasty bush whacks in Kodiak

I’d shave a few oz’s off it if I could. I’m not willing to sacrifice weight for reliability though.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I know it’s all up to personal preference and nightforce scopes are very nice, I went all in with the 2.5-10mxs scopes a year or 2 ago. I just found myself missing my SWFA 3-9. I finally just got a few more 3-9s to replace the ones I foolishly sold back when they were easy to buy. It’s a good feeling having those again.

I do wish the SWFA was offered in MOA, not a deal breaker but that’s what I’m used to.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I do wish the SWFA was offered in MOA, not a deal breaker but that’s what I’m used to.

I think they make the 3-15 in MOA, that’s a nice scope too, I had one for awhile and wish I still did. I’ve gotten rid of lots of scopes which I’ve regretted. I actually had a 2.5-10x32 nxs with a Mil dot reticle. I wish I still had that one as well.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I think they make the 3-15 in MOA, that’s a nice scope too, I had one for awhile and wish I still did. I’ve gotten rid of lots of scopes which I’ve regretted. I actually had a 2.5-10x32 nxs with a Mil dot reticle. I wish I still had that one as well.

I have a 3-15 on a .224 Valkyrie. It is a really nice scope for the money.

What’s a good “street price” on that NXS 2.5-10? How about the SWFA 3-9?

I keep kicking around the idea of a new boomer and those two scopes are on my list.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What’s a good “street price” on that NXS 2.5-10? How about the SWFA 3-9?

I keep kicking around the idea of a new boomer and those two scopes are on my list.

A new SWFA 3-9 is 600.00 so a used one can be in the high 400s or low 500s. I picked up 2 recently, one for 500 shipped, one for 475 shipped.

The nxs is probably closer to 1300.00 on the used market, I think I paid 1325 for the last one I bought and sold it at a loss for I believe 1250.