NF NXS 2.5-10 Better option?

I hate to call it a better choice so I'll call it another option but have you considered the Vortex HD LHT??

The NXS Compact is also my favorite and would like a bunch more but will be giving the LHT a try. I have one on the way, picked up a new one for $800 shipped - the 3-15x42 model. They seem to be holding up well from what I have seen posted on the innernet so it must be true:) Have also seen it posted recently some of the newer ones seem to do better as far as the illumination bleed over not being nearly as bad which was one of the complaints with this scope.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I hate to call it a better choice so I'll call it another option but have you considered the Vortex HD LHT??

The NXS Compact is also my favorite and would like a bunch more but will be giving the LHT a try. I have one on the way, picked up a new one for $800 shipped - the 3-15x42 model. They seem to be holding up well from what I have seen posted on the innernet so it must be true:) Have also seen it posted recently some of the newer ones seem to do better as far as the illumination bleed over not being nearly as bad which was one of the complaints with this scope.

Thanks for the input, but I have had a few vortex scopes and have used the warranty. I had one with the notorious tracking issue and sent it in, they fixed it and told me I over tightened the rings, which I didn’t.

As much time and money as I spend putting in for tags and hunting, I want a optic I can rely on more than anything. If you consider all the years applying, travel costs, time off work and effort into hunts, saving $800 or so on a scope is not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree with you - I've never been a fan of Vortex and most of my rifles now either have the NXS on them or one has a S&B PM II on it. But wanted to give this one a try since it does seem to check all the boxes at a under 20 oz scope. The LHT is made in Japan by LOW and not like the other Vortex products. LOW also makes the internals/assembles the NF SHV scopes and also SWFA scopes so figure it should be good.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Completely agree with you - I've never been a fan of Vortex and most of my rifles now either have the NXS on them or one has a S&B PM II on it. But wanted to give this one a try since it does seem to check all the boxes at a under 20 oz scope. The LHT is made in Japan by LOW and not like the other Vortex products. LOW also makes the internals/assembles the NF SHV scopes and also SWFA scopes so figure it should be good.

It’s definitely worth trying out, I hope it works. Did Vortex change their internals?

Not sure about that, have a couple friends that just got these recently and also have earlier ones and have mentioned the new one seems better so we will see.

I figure I have a year to see how this scope performs before next years hunting seasons so if it doesn't work I should know by then. Supposed to arrive tomorrow so can let you know what 1st impressions are.

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about that, have a couple friends that just got these recently and also have earlier ones and have mentioned the new one seems better so we will see.

I figure I have a year to see how this scope performs before next years hunting seasons so if it doesn't work I should know by then. Supposed to arrive tomorrow so can let you know what 1st impressions are.
I would also like to hear impressions on that optic. Particularly the 3-15x42.

I would also like to hear impressions on that optic. Particularly the 3-15x42.
So the scope just arrived a bit ago - have to say my 1st impression is that its a darn nice scope. I ordered the MRAD 3-15x42 version and just from a quick view I think I can really like the reticle.

Its a nice and gloomy and grey day here in Oregon today so the light isn't great. In just viewing outside at an object 100 yards out its really nice and clear and I'd say at least as bright as my NXS Compact 2.5-10x42. It might be a bit touchy on the eye relief but I don't know that for sure until it actually gets mounted on a rifle. But it is certainly not your typical Vortex optic which IMHO is a good thing for this scope.

At its price point if it holds up and dials whats not to like (y)

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
So the scope just arrived a bit ago - have to say my 1st impression is that its a darn nice scope. I ordered the MRAD 3-15x42 version and just from a quick view I think I can really like the reticle.

Its a nice and gloomy and grey day here in Oregon today so the light isn't great. In just viewing outside at an object 100 yards out its really nice and clear and I'd say at least as bright as my NXS Compact 2.5-10x42. It might be a bit touchy on the eye relief but I don't know that for sure until it actually gets mounted on a rifle. But it is certainly not your typical Vortex optic which IMHO is a good thing for this scope.

At its price point if it holds up and dials whats not to like (y)
See, that's what I fear. I like Vortex optics on paper, but they're notorious for failing somewhere.

See, that's what I fear. I like Vortex optics on paper, but they're notorious for failing somewhere.
I agree - but there are plenty of guys using this scope since its been out and most everything I've seen has been positive. And like I mentioned in a prior post is that these are not made in China but in Japan by LOW that also makes the SWFA SS scopes everyone raves about and they also make the SHV so I would expect more out of this versus other Vortex products.

Will gladly report back if its a bust and it doesn't perform well.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
A tall target test is warranted, I did that on the vortex HST I had and it pretty much took 1 or 2 shots to settle after dialing elevation

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
A tall target test is warranted, I did that on the vortex HST I had and it pretty much took 1 or 2 shots to settle after dialing elevation

The Razor line is in a whole different league than the HST. I used a gen 1 Razor, as did a ton of other shooters at that time, when I was shooting PRS style matches. It was 100% good to go in every way.

davsco

WKR
The Razor line is in a whole different league than the HST. I used a gen 1 Razor, as did a ton of other shooters at that time, when I was shooting PRS style matches. It was 100% good to go in every way.
and definitely still is!

i just bought a 2nd NF NX8 F1 2.5-20 today ($1600 "demo" at eurooptic, they have more). pretty nice scopes. both for my hunting rifles in 6.5 prc and 300wsm. down at 2.5 that reticle is pretty damned tiny but the illumination really helps making it usable.

i was tempted by the new vortex 4.5-22 but i wanted to be able to go below 4.5x for any up close and personal opportunities.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
in Japan by LOW that also makes the SWFA SS scopes everyone raves about
Depends on model. Ive seen the Kenko sticker on a fixed power SWFA SS scope. So some are made by Kenko. What ive been told is the HD models are made at LOW. Nothing wrong with Kenko either. They know how to make a good tough scope.

LOW did make all the Bushnell Elites/TAC OPs, the NF SHV line, Zeiss V4s, Tract HD/UHD and all Razors. Plus many other parts for the NF line up. Even the NX8 ive seen had Made in Japan on it. I thought they were assembled here?

The list is pretty extensive actually but they have built the top end models for several brands that live off cheap Chinese optics but still want to offer a very good line too.

Generally speaking, if its made at LOW, Kenko or Japan Optics you more than likely have a solid scope that is well built. Some of the Kenko stuff like the Sightron SIIIs, SVs and Vortex Golden Eagle are right up there with some of the LOW scopes too.

Last edited:
OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Just in case you guys didn’t catch this thread.

Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50mm Field Eval

CLP

FNG
I have both the 2.5-10x32 and 42 versions on lightweight big caliber rifles and the only scope I like better is a March 3-24. The March is a little more money but a used one if you can find it will set you back about the same as a new 2.5-10.

One of my March scopes has been around the world several times and I’ve never adjusted the zero. They’re just as tough as the NXS in my opinion based on actual real world experience but have much better optical performance and feature sets.