NF NXS or NX8 or ATACR for mountain rifle

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
OP, I know you already got a different scope. I will share the below both to validate your decision and provide information if someone else is reading this later.

In low light and the NX8 1-8.
At dusk, it performs better than the naked eye on 4 x, but is not what I would consider usable above 4 x due to how important perfect eye positioning becomes. In darkness, it performs slightly better than the naked eye on 2 x, it did not feel very usable above 2 x. On 1 x it performs as well as the naked eye, the dot is dim enough that it does not flare (if that is the proper term).

For comparison, my Zeiss Conquest 8x42 binoculars greatly outperform the naked eye in darkness.

In what I'm calling darkness, with the naked eye I cannot make out chain link fence lines 100 feet away and on a near by building I can see white window trim, but cannot see the dark brown walls. At distance, I can see the sky over a mountain ridge (about 4 miles away) but cannot see the lower ridge line in front of it.

With the NX8 1-8, on 2x I can vaguely tell that I'm seeing a wall next to the window trim. Still cannot see the closer ridge line, nor the chain link fence.

With my Conquests, I can clearly make out both ridges and tell that one has tree cover and the other does not. I can make out the cedar shakes on the wall, and I can clearly see the fence line and even make out the the chain link.

I feel that the NX8 1-8 will let me shoot anything I can see with the naked eye. However, as Alaska does not have legal shooting hours, there may be shot opportunities I cannot take because while I could find the animal with my binoculars, I could not see them in my scope.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I still have a hard time putting Nightforce and Mountain Rifle together in the same sentence. I just can’t wrap my head around putting a 1.5 -2 lb scope on a lightweight rifle! Just me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I still have a hard time putting Nightforce and Mountain Rifle together in the same sentence. I just can’t wrap my head around putting a 1.5 -2 lb scope on a lightweight rifle! Just me.
Because lightweight scopes are a trade off in features and/or reliability. Not many lightweight scopes that dial reliably. There's always a tradeoff

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not me. I'd rather spend extra time working to not be a pansy carrying an extra 8 ounces and KNOW that my scope will be there for me when I need it...no matter what I put it through. Would suck to spend all year getting in shape, preparing for a hunt, spend the money for a hunt, and then have my super lightweight scope fail on me when I needed it most. You do you, but don't come on here bitching when your scope fails. You will be wishing you had that 8 ounces then...just make sure your super lightweight scope doesn't bang against anything cause it is damn near guaranteed to loose zero if it does. Lightweight and durable aint the same...good luck this season everyone.

SDHNTR

WKR
Because lightweight scopes are a trade off in features and/or reliability. Not many lightweight scopes that dial reliably. There's always a tradeoff

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Oh I know, it just bothers me. I can’t for the life of me understand why with all of today’s tech and space age materials no one can figure it out. It shouldn’t be that hard to get light AND reliable.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I have a NXS 2.5-10 on my proof research glacier ti. Balances very well. Running Hawkins rings and they are awesome. Much more stout and built in level without adding too much weight. I was running a Z5 3-18 with talley rings and prefer my current setup. I have taken it on multiple hunts/flights/car rides and never had to re-zero my scope when I arrive at my destination.

28bang

WKR
Recently switched to a NX8 2.5-20x50 SFP.
Mounted on a 5.5# Seekins Element.
mounted in .870 rings on integral rail.
Sits relatively low. Keeping the weight centered. Balances well. Really like it.
Features & Durability.

is the sfp version better than the ffp version? Optically that is. Noticed The sfp is a little longer and heavier.

gexpro

WKR
I decided to go with the NX8 2.5-20x50 Tremor 3 reticle. I went out over the weekend and stretched the 300PRC to 800 yards without a blink. The NF NX8 performed flawlessly, tracked amazing and is bomb proof.. backed it down and zero'd it at 300 yards.. set zero stop and left it.

Attachments

• IMG_9445.jpg
    IMG_9445.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_9574.jpg
    IMG_9574.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 120

HuntnPack

WKR
is the sfp version better than the ffp version? Optically that is. Noticed The sfp is a little longer and heavier.
Not sure on that. Previously I had checked Out both of the NX8 F1 models At local retailer. That day after briefly Comparing the
2.5-20 vs the 4-32 I decided on a 4-32.
Then NF brought out the F2 which I prefer,
I sold the F1 & picked up A 2.5-20 f2.
I opted to try the shorter model with the lower top end power, & After getting it mounted up & spending more time outside with it, instead of just inside a retail store,
I am really impressed with the F2.

About to pull trigger on NX8 2.5-20x50mm

What height NF UltraLite rings...Mediums?

For light aluminum low rings consider Seekins Low or TPS Super Low, which on a rail are plenty for 50mm bell clearance, though you may have to cut a slot or two off the leading end of the rail. NF UL's are higher than typical, and you're already going to need to build at least 5/8" for cheek height. [With a pic rail be sure to have a plan for raising the comb height on your Kimber stock.]

A 2.5-10x42 NF is plenty, by the way. SFP is also a plus.

I would rethink putting a 50mm with pic rail on a Kimber LA. A 42mm on low Talley LWs is going to hold the scope weight closer the rifle + you won't have to Jerry-rig something on the stock comb. Also keep in mind that a compact scope's tube length can be too limiting.... so I wouldn't rule out a SS 3-9 for a Kimber LA.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For light aluminum low rings consider Seekins Low or TPS Super Low, which on a rail are plenty for 50mm bell clearance, though you may have to cut a slot or two off the leading end of the rail. NF UL's are higher than typical, and you're already going to need to build at least 5/8" for cheek height. [With a pic rail be sure to have a plan for raising the comb height on your Kimber stock.]

A 2.5-10x42 NF is plenty, by the way. SFP is also a plus.

I would rethink putting a 50mm with pic rail on a Kimber MA. A 42mm on low Talley LWs is going to hold the scope weight closer the rifle + you won't have to Jerry-rig something on the stock comb. Also keep in mind that a compact scope's tube length can be too limiting.... so I wouldn't rule out a SS 3-9 for a Kimber MA.

An SWFA 3-9 has more than enough length to fit on a kimber action, I've done it in the past.

Agreed, which would be my #1 recommendation.

Am a big fan of the NF 2.5-10x42 but the short tube length on a LA doesn't allow much range for adjustment. Going to a pic rail solves the adjustment problem, but creates a comb height problem for a Kimber stock.

I’m currently running a SHV 3-10x42 on my Kimber 84L in 280 Ackley, with Talley lightweight 30mm lows and it works perfectly for me. The scope is very low and close to the barrel, so scope caps are not a go with that combo, so I use a scope coat cover. No problem with eye relief at all and it handles really well just like that. No rails for me unless the optic has a really short mounting/tube length.