Nice .22 cal air gun?

SDHNTR

WKR
I bought a $300 Gamo air gun and it’s a crappy, laughable, plastic POS! The scope it came with crapped out in 10 shots. No surprise there. Accuracy is just mediocre, like 2” groups at 20yards. Trigger creeps a mile and breaks like a wet sponge. Fit and finish is terrible. Plastic junk everywhere. I hate junk.

So how much do I need to spend to get a decent air gun? And what make/model? Something that shows some pride of craftsmanship?

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes, legally, firearms are not permitted where I want to shoot this thing.

rclouse79

WKR
Every so often a squirrel will piss me off enough that I am tempted to buy an air rifle. I was looking at Hatsan rifles on amazon. Seems like they have good reviews and bang for your buck. I bought a gamo gun close to 20 years ago now. I had a similar experience. Thank goodness Walmart had a liberal return policy.

Stalker69

WKR
Go to sights like air guns of Arizona ( AOA) or Utah air guns. Springers are going to be the “ cheapest “ but you still really need to look at 500.00 plus for a really good one. Then check out the pcp air guns, and you can spend a bunch. Some are approaching 3000.00 plus all the accessories you need to go with them. But a Benjamin marauder is a well liked entry level pcp. I have a Beeman hw97k that is really nice. But I would like to get a edgun matador R5M, or a veteran, if and when I can swing it. You may want to check out airgunnation.com. Some guns are only avalible at a few dealers, but there is a lot of good info there if you really want a good one.

Jardo

WKR
pcp airguns are the only ones to consider. i had a hatsan for a few weeks and returned it. total POS. for 25 cal and lower, look at daystate, fx, american air guns, or ataman.

for big bore, airforce texan is the best by far.

i kill a dozen deer and pigs every year with mine in .357 cal. all of these were killed with my AF texan.

ff000fffa4d7320939f0449246903316.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
a1c5ffcc34d019017dda9c7fcb1f3993.jpg

84129a27bbb5331024945ae76674b8d5.plist

TheGDog

WKR
1) Before you conclude that the rifle is "junk" you need to make sure you've tried several different brands of pellets in it. (I'd recommend H&N Terminators, and Predator PolyMags) Just like FireArms, you gotta find pellets it "likes". Also I'm told some rifles like a different kind of hold. Some nice and tight into the shoulder pocket, with firm grasp of foreend (not what I do usually), or the "Artillery hold", not tight into the should pocket and a light/loose grip supporting the forestock.

2) Yeah, usually the scopes that come with are just "there". And don't expect them to be very good or last. I put a Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32mm on mine and it's been doing fine.

3) I've killed a crap ton of small creatures with my Umarex Octane .22 - The trigger has a pull that to me is way to heavy, but that's the only negative. I've taken rabbits at 40yds with it.

And oh yeah... the sound of the pellet hitting the backstop is way louder than the discharge of it! The suppressor does a good job. (Backyard Friendly)

They now have the Umarex Octane Elite!

26240549_1969470836400545_7361897839076925277_o.jpg

Brendan

WKR
I seem to remember an older thread here where there were a lot of recommendations for the Benjamin Marauder...

I bought my wife a custom crosman pump air gun. She loves the thing and is deadly to about 30 yards keeping the ground squirrels out of the garden. It has a long target barrel, seems to shoot good enough for garden pests.

image.jpg

The custom shop assembles the airguns in the USA if that is important to you.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m not trying to get into this big time. Don’t want to buy pumps and spend $500+. No interest in hunting big game with an air gun. I have real guns for that. I just want to plink a few cans and rid my yard of a marauding squirrel or rabbit once in a while. And I’d like to do so without a cheap feeling hunk of plastic in my hands. I’m one who appreciates quality tools, but I don’t necessarily need souped up performance.

TheGDog

WKR
Isn't an air rifle considered a "firearm"? It is in most cities and municipalities.

No. As there is no "fire" involved. However, you still need to check your local regs to see if it is a legal "Method of Take" for whatever type of game you're thinking of taking with your air rifle.

Also of note, prohibited persons can still purchase air rifles. Not only that, you can purchase them and have them shipped right to your door.

Benjamin Sheridan. It's a pump and doesn't have forward recoil so it won't destroy scopes. I've had one for 30 years and my grandpa had one for 50 years.

Easy answer. RWS Diana 34 in .22 cal. I absolutely love mine, and it's good for nickel-sized groups at 30 yards all day long with pellets that it likes (fortunately for me, the cheap Crossman domed 14 grainers!).

Death on squirrels. My longest squirrel kill to date is 70 yards. Yes, 70.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m not trying to get into this big time. Don’t want to buy pumps and spend $500+. No interest in hunting big game with an air gun. I have real guns for that. I just want to plink a few cans and rid my yard of a marauding squirrel or rabbit once in a while. And I’d like to do so without a cheap feeling hunk of plastic in my hands. I’m one who appreciates quality tools, but I don’t necessarily need souped up performance.
I went through this process about 5 years ago, and bought and sold and gave away 5 or 6 wal-mart quality air rifles before I got my RWS. Haven't looked back since.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Easy answer. RWS Diana 34 in .22 cal. I absolutely love mine, and it's good for nickel-sized groups at 30 yards all day long with pellets that it likes (fortunately for me, the cheap Crossman domed 14 grainers!).

Death on squirrels. My longest squirrel kill to date is 70 yards. Yes, 70.
I’m leaning this direction, or maybe upgrade to the RWS 350 Magnum.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Benjamin Sheridan. It's a pump and doesn't have forward recoil so it won't destroy scopes. I've had one for 30 years and my grandpa had one for 50 years.
I have one, and have had to send it in for repair twice now because it stops holding air......you can hear the air passing right by with every pump. Now it's failed again for the third time in about 10 years.

So as mentioned above, I just switched to my Henry lever action 22 and use the 22 Short CB's subsonic.