Nice .22 cal air gun?

I have one, and have had to send it in for repair twice now because it stops holding air......you can hear the air passing right by with every pump. Now it's failed again for the third time in about 10 years.

So as mentioned above, I just switched to my Henry lever action 22 and use the 22 Short CB's subsonic.
Did you store it with one pump in the chamber? That helps to keep seals working.

TheGDog

WKR
I'm tellin' you man... get you an Umarex Octane brother. They are around $200. This thing wops stuff hard, and the supressor keeps it surprisingly quiet. And once you learn it's trigger, it's money. It's a Break-Barrel Gas-Spring, so you can leave it cocked and ready a long time and it won't hurt it. You can't do that with Springers. I've left it overnight, and taken critters the next day.

An example of the kind of intentional hits you can make with it at 20yds.
WP_20160512_002.jpg
WP_20160509_002.jpg

NOTE: When going for Quail or Crow you need to avoid the shot going at their wing feathers. Shoot at where the neck/shoulders come together. If you try to just shoot the body, their wing feathers are often tough enough the hit won't be fatal, at least not right away that I can tell. Dove it seems to not be a problem. But if it is a hit thru the wing feathers... they may still fly away a bit before they expire (into the neighbors yard, oops). Mostly just make sure to avoid the stout wing feathers and you're good.

When you tag a Rabbit stretching it to 40yds+ you may have to give him a second one when you walk up to him, just to be nice and make sure he expires quickly. Like maybe 30% of the time.

When placed at the right spot, in the neighborhood of 20yds, Crows will go right down. Some species of Quail can take a surprising helluva beating if your shot placement ends up hitting the wings or body/belly area. You would be STUNNED at the hits I've put on some where they didn't die and seemed to not even really be injured! But seems to be a function of their tough wing feathers. You place it where the shoulder meets neck, and they'll go down nicely.

Last edited:

ChrisA

WKR
Been pretty happy with my Benjamin Discovery, it loves RWS 14.2 gr Super-H-Points and they hit very hard. Running a Hill hand pump.

I rebuilt it last month and the re-seal kit cost $12 for two rebuilds.

I'd gone the Marauder route if I had to do over though. I'm hooked on the PCPs now.

Chris

RWS 34 and done.

I’ve had mine for 20 years with zero issues. If you can find an old Japanese made Beeman Blue Ribbon scope for it, that’s the best springer optic out there. Whatever optic you put on it make sure it’s designed for spring piston air rifles or else it will fail. Also put a scope stop on it to prevent it from sliding on the rail.

I’ve also got a RWS 45 .177 that I bought 40 years ago with a Beeman SS1 scope. God only knows how many hundreds of thousands of rounds I’ve put through it and the game I’ve killed with it from squirrels to fox.

Jardo

WKR
i had a gamo springer and found it inaccurate. hard to make a break barrel accurate past 20 yards.

if i do something, i do it right. cheap china crap is frustrating. don’t have to buy the best. stick to pcp guns if you want accurate and consistent performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisA

WKR
How long before you had to rebuild it? How much use before needed to rebuild it?
Can't remember when I got it but at least 6 years, they'd only been out a year or so when I picked mine up. It had 3000+ pellets through it before the material on the valve stem started to crumble causing a leak, the o-rings were all fine. Crosman changed to a better material on the valve stem on later produced rifles.

The rebuild was pretty easy and accomplished with a screw driver, couple hex wrenches, couple box end wrenches, wooden dowel, and a good youtube video.

Was a little hesitant to start the rebuild but now I'd take on any PCP repair if I have access to youtube.

Chris

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
i had a gamo springer and found it inaccurate. hard to make a break barrel accurate past 20 yards.

if i do something, i do it right. cheap china crap is frustrating. don’t have to buy the best. stick to pcp guns if you want accurate and consistent performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can you explain this to me? Why are break barrel springers less accurate vs PCP guns. Take Gamo out of the equation. They are obviously junk. What about an RWS/Diana springer? are they inherently less accurate compared to PCP? What is it about that design that makes it less ideal?

TheGDog

WKR
Can you explain this to me? Why are break barrel springers less accurate vs PCP guns. Take Gamo out of the equation. They are obviously junk. What about an RWS/Diana springer? are they inherently less accurate compared to PCP? What is it about that design that makes it less ideal?
I would presume the assertion is that the parts moving inside the rifle when fired could lead to added movement of the rifle, thus minutely changing where it is pointed? Another minor thing is that the break-barrel hinges and has a seal at the back of it where the two pieces lock up. So I'm sure it's possible that due to sloppy tolerances the bore axis could be off from the axis of the optic.. but the amount would be a ridiculously small imperceptible amount if it's well made.