Night hunting

First yote with the thermal. Had two coming hard from way out. Wind was swirly and I think they caught it around the 100-200 yard range. They peeled away and I watched them disappear in a small coulee. Next thing I know 4 yotes come running out of the coulee and one is getting chased hard by another. Guessing they are 800ish yards away. The one getting chased heads in my direction. It hangs up and is looking back towards where it came from. I give it a female yip and it starts heading my way again. It acted like something wasn’t right around the 150ish yard mark. Maybe it got my scent also who knows. So as soon as it stopped I let it have it.

E4C6DB8B-5DDB-4E60-B6B9-C0B5CD518648.jpeg

OP
dirtytough
I’ve got a Trijicon IR Hunter 60mm on the gun and a Hogster R 35mm I’m using to scan with. I’ll use the Hogster for the kid/loaner/backup next year and get a better scanner. But for now it seems to work fine.

I got a double the other night. But it’s tough with a bolt action. I need to buy an AR in 22-250. As you can see the one was trying to get away. So I got him with a Michigan shoulder shot lol
0E170E7E-F422-4DDC-936E-39181C462404.jpeg56654FB8-4ADF-4FA9-8517-565365E6F473.jpeg

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve got a Trijicon IR Hunter 60mm on the gun and a Hogster R 35mm I’m using to scan with. I’ll use the Hogster for the kid/loaner/backup next year and get a better scanner. But for now it seems to work fine.

I got a double the other night. But it’s tough with a bolt action. I need to buy an AR in 22-250. As you can see the one was trying to get away. So I got him with a Michigan shoulder shot lol
View attachment 161329View attachment 161330
I will post a quicky review of the agm asp scanner 35mm

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Scanner review

Block

WKR
Very nice! Wish we could use thermal in Cali... I don’t even bother hunting dogs at night here becuz they are harder to kill with lights than during the day. Hate making them smarter.

Brian421

FNG
I would love to have a thermal. Hopefully they legalize rifle hunting at night soon in KY so I have a reason to buy one.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
You have some really nice hardware and it obviously works WELL. Congrats on the fur.
Thank you!
I started off with a lower level thermal and really enjoyed the doors that opened, i seen really where the buy once cry once applied here so i leaped to the best i could get and havent regreted it at all.

Brian421

FNG
We can only use a shotgun but no slugs. They had a bill introduced this year but not much going on with it at the present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting ready to retire soon and want to get into some nighttime predator hunting. My initial thought is to get a decent thermal scanner (been really looking at Pulsars) and then going with a light on the rifle (maybe a wicked light). Most of the hunting would be in rolling farm terrain. Mostly I would be scanning and one of the grandkids would be shooting. Any thoughts on this kind of setup? Thanks.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I think it would be a fun way to spend time with the grand kids.

Are you thjnking more like a scanner and then the shooter on the gun with the light?

I think if you are going thermal then go thermal, the reason is you are going to not broadcast your position with the thermal as you are with the light.

If you want to find with thermal then transition you may be better off with a n.v. scope and a ir light or just get a thermal scope and scan, find, transition or tell shooter where and then you are both on it

Reactions: WCB
My original thought was monocular thermal scanner for detection and the shooter with a rifle mounted light, but more research and following your line of thinking, the thermal monocular scanner and the NV scope on the rifle might be a better route for now. I'm assuming the IR light will allow the NV scope further range?

Geeb

FNG
My original thought was monocular thermal scanner for detection and the shooter with a rifle mounted light, but more research and following your line of thinking, the thermal monocular scanner and the NV scope on the rifle might be a better route for now. I'm assuming the IR light will allow the NV scope further range?
Yes, a good IR light will greatly enhance any night vision device

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
FLIR stopped selling their Thermal Rifle Scopes to the general public. and now restricts sales to Military and/or Law Enforcement only.

What effect did this have on the pricing/value of the units that were previously sold to the general public.......???

I have a never used FLIR RS-64 (1-9X) that I want to sell, as I am going blind from macula degeneration, and can no longer used any of my scopes, including non-thermal scopes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to best way for me to discover the real value of this scope, and where to place it for sale........???

Or any advise on where I should be asking this question....???

Thanks for any advise. (And "Please" don't ask, what do I want for it, because I don't know what it is worth)".

Thanks for any help, offered.