Night Landscape Photography: A Primer

Backcountry Night Photography: A Primer

Photography is a hobby of mine. I’ve been flattered to have a few of my photographs used commercially to sell outdoor products, and one of my night photos won 3rd place in the 2013 BHA Hunting Photo Contest, but I'm not a pro. Several people on this site and other sites have asked how I take night photographs, so I’m posting this in hopes that it might enrich your ability to take photographs and share memories.

Approximately 33% of your time in the backcountry is at night, so why not document some of that time which is typically spent in camp (base camp, spike camp, or bivy camp). I’m an adventurer as much as I am a hunter, and I savor the entire backcountry experience. Good photos let me share the experience with others.

DSC04113_zpsiuffmpb9.jpg~original

Choice of Camera:

For night landscape photography, you’ll need a camera with a micro four-thirds, APS-C, or full-frame sensor (or other equivalent sensor). The larger sensors are needed in order to gather more light per pixel. The camera should have the ability to shoot in full manual mode.

I often carry an Olympus micro 4/3 camera, because it’s weather-sealed and the micro 4/3 lenses will be the smallest of the bunch. However, this is not intended to be a camera review. You’ll get incrementally better dynamic range as you step up to the APS-C and full-frame sensors. The difference probably isn’t too important unless you need very large prints for commercial purposes.

It is important to understand what size sensor your camera uses, because you’ll need that information in order to calculate exposure times (more on this later).

DSC03796_zpskl2dpecf.jpg~original

Choice of Lens:

Generally speaking, you’ll want the widest (i.e. a wide angle lens between 16mm and 24mm full frame equivalent is ideal) and fastest (i.e. wide aperture) lens you have for night landscape photography. My personal experience is that kit lenses are usually OK for night photography, but wider are best. I suggest using what you’ve already got.

Ideal Shooting Conditions:

Choose a night within 3-4 days on either side of a new moon. It's very difficult to photograph stars during a full moon, although it allows good photos of the landscape. Cold weather is good because the air is drier, creating less chromatic aberration (which results in poor picture quality). I like to have a quarter-moon low in the sky behind me, because that lights up the landscape just enough for a time exposure, and the stars will still be bright.

DSC01598_zpsv7jbw5jy.jpg~original

Primary Camera Settings:

Shoot in M (manual mode).

Focus on Infinity using manual focus. If you're lucky enough to have an infinity setting on your lens, then set to infinity. My lens has an infinity marking but it's inaccurate and I actually have to adjust the focus to find infinity. Figure out how to focus in the dark before you go out on a photo shoot. When I turn the manual focus ring on my lens, my camera is set up to show 10x zoom in the viewfinder, which allows me to focus crisply on a bright star (infinity). After getting my focus set, I place the camera down on the tripod without disturbing the focus ring, and forget about it.

If you focus on a bright star, then everything else will be in focus beyond a certain distance away from your camera. Thus, if you are also photographing a tent or another subject in the foreground, then that subject must be far enough away to also be in focus. If the stars look good but your tent is blurry, then you need to have the tent further away from the camera.

Set to the widest aperture on your lens in order to gather maximum light for shorter exposure time. The aperture on my lens can be set anywhere between f2.0 and f22, so I always start at f2.0. Your kit lens may be f3.5 or thereabouts when wide open, and while not optimally wide, it will work.

Set an initial exposure time based upon the Rule of 500. The Rule of 500 says that you can shoot for a certain period of time before stars will start leaving trails in your photos. The Rule of 500 works like this: (500 divided by (focal length) equals X seconds). Let’s say you’re shooting an APS-C sensor, which has a 1.5x crop factor. If you’re shooting at 16mm, then the Rule of 500 says you can shoot for 20 seconds before the stars leave trails.

How did I get to 20 seconds? Here's the math: 16mm multiplied by 1.5x crop factor equals 24mm equivalent lens (on full frame). The "Rule of 500" says that 500 divided by 24 (i.e. 24mm) equals 20 seconds.

If you are shooting a M4/3 sensor instead, then the crop factor is 2.0x. I shoot a 12mm lens on M4/3, which is also a 24mm full frame equivalent lens, and gives me 20 seconds before I have star trails. If you’re shooting full frame, then there is no crop factor.

Start with an ISO of 1600, take a test shot, and adjust the ISO incrementally up and down. At this point, you simply take a ton of pictures, running the ISO up and down the whole range. This is called "bracketing" and is the secret to getting at least one useful picture.

If you’re shooting on a bright night (close to full moon or a lot of light pollution), then you might adjust your initial exposure time down to something like 10 seconds, and your ISO to 800. Take a test shot and then bracket your ISO accordingly.

Take photos from different angles and perspectives, and one or two pictures will stand above the rest when you review them later. You will not know which photo looks the best until you get home and put them on a larger computer screen. If I post one good picture on Rokslide, you can bet I had at least 15 pictures that I deleted.

D08A0918_zpsako7yb0v.jpg~original

Other Settings and Shooting Tips:

Use a tripod. Lower to the ground is more stable. I backpack with a tiny Manfrotto Pixi Mini tripod. It’s small and light. I improvise by finding a large rock to set up on.

Turn off image stabilization if your camera has it.

Switch on mirror lock up feature if your camera has this setting.

Set self-timer to at least 2-seconds to prevent shaking/blurring.

Consider turning noise reduction off if you are shooting in RAW, because you can eliminate most noise later using Photoshop or Lightroom. Software will usually do a better job eliminating noise from RAW pics than the camera. If you are using JPEGs right out of the camera, then leave your noise reduction turned on.

If you're having difficulty property exposing individual parts of the image (like a campfire or person with headlamp in the foreground) because of uneven light levels, try moving a couple steps away from the light, or move the light source further away from the camera. For example, a very bright campfire close to the camera will tend to dim any stars in the sky. To fix, simply move the camera further from the campfire. The inverses square law will cause less light to reach your camera the further away you are. If you want to frame a shot with strong artificial light and still have beautifully exposed sky, experiment with the distance of your camera to your subject.

If you're lighting a tipi or tent in the foreground, then hang a small LED lantern on THE LOWEST SETTING for starters. If it's a very dark night, then you might overexpose the tent on the lowest setting. If the tent is washed out (i.e. nothing but white light) in your photo, then you might try covering the light source in a small stuff sack to provide additional dimming.

Conversely, if you’re shooting with a lot of light in the sky, then you will need to brighten that tent up. Trial and error.

These techniques will produce good JPEGs. I occasionally use JPEGs out of the camera, but I mostly shoot RAW and develop my own pictures. Due to the extreme dynamic range inherent to night photography, you can get remarkably better results if you shoot in RAW and use a good program (like Photoshop or Lightroom) to develop your own pictures. There is a steep learning curve, but it’s mercifully short if you devote a little time to the hobby. Further discussion of post-processing techniques is beyond the scope of this article.

Best of luck in your photographic endeavors. Share your best pic if you go out on a night shoot.

Eric

P8082702_zpsugvkgyey.jpg~original

ChrisS

WKR
These are fantastic tips, thanks. I've been trying these occasionally when I get out and have a decent night. In had the hardest times getting the stars in focus and part of the problem is that I failed to follow the 500 rule.

9ca5e4533f8d138f80a8fb98940a7570.jpg

Rs3003

WKR
These are great! I love the trails out of the top of the stove pipe pic 5,6. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Finch

WKR
Great photos! Unfortunately I won't be taking my DSLR with me on my hunt in a few days. I'm taking my Panasonic Lumix FZ35 (superzoom). I'm still going to experiment with some night shots though.

Wonder what my crop factor is?

Edit: about 5.69 it appears.

colonel00

WKR
I'll post this one here. Still working on what ISO I prefer and what processing I like. Next step will be to find some cool places to actually get some nightscapes.

First%20Milky%20Way%202_zpsfspuojoq.jpg

This "little" guy should serve me well and was a relative bargain.

20151101_105521_zps37trrkkc.jpg

colonel00

WKR
Well, I don't have a FF...yet. I shoot Pentax and they are supposed to release a FF camera this spring but I may just stick with crop for now. I went with Pentax originally because of their in body stabilization which makes lenses cheaper and even a third party lens like this can be helped by shake reduction. I also like that their mid level bodies on up all have weather resistance along with the lenses I have which works well for the outdoors as I can have the camera exposed in the rain and dust and not worry. Maybe in a couple generations I will look at FF more but for now it isn't really an option.

ScottP

WKR
Great job, super helpful.

I was bummed when I realized the kit lens with my Sony NEX3N doesn't allow manual focus. At first I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a decent night shot to save my life!

colonel00

WKR
No way to manual focus? That sucks. I feel your pain though as the lenses I had before I got this latest one have what is called "Quick Shift" It allows for manual focus but there aren't any gradients and no infinity stop. So, trying to focus in the dark when the focus ring just keep turning is a real pain.

Eric, have you looked into adjusting the infinity stop in your lens that you say is off? I guess these Rokinon/Samyang/Bower/etc lenses like I got are notorious for being decentered and having the infinity stop off quite a bit. When I got the lens I did some brick wall tests and the sharpness seemed great edge to edge. After that, I was prepared to have to adjust the infinity as there are videos and instructions out there on how to do it. Luckily it looks like my copy is good all around and no adjustments were necessary.

OP
CrzyTrekker
Scott, what lens came with your NEX? I still have the NEX-6 with 16-50 kit lens. I can enable manual focus in one of the (ridiculous) Sony menus. It's kind of a pain, but it works. Two of the pictures above were taken with that lens. I suspect there might be a way to do it with your camera, with some menu surfing, but admittedly I've never used the 3N and am not sure which lens you are using. My wife says I'm almost always wrong. :)

Brad, I assumed you're shooting FF. I love FF for the incrementally better picture quality, but I hate FF cameras. Big lenses... I don't currently have one. I prefer to carry smaller lenses in my ruck. I've been shooting an Olympus E-M5 Mark II for a while and love it. Crop sensors are great and easily compete with FF, especially if you're willing to shoot RAW and do a little post processing.

That lens with an inaccurate "infinity" mark is the Olympus 12mm f/2.0. It's a good little lens, and it's notorious for that problem. I didn't know it was possible to adjust the infinity stop, so I'll be looking into that. Thanks very much! It's kind of sad that we feel lucky when we pay for a lens and actually get one that is not decentered and works as advertised.

Eric

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, I agree but that is also the price you pay for a "bargain". This Rokinon is close to if not more than half the cost of Pentax's 14mm f2.8 offering. And, reviews show that a good copy of it is actually better than other more expensive choices. There are some hoops to jump through like testing and possibly exchanging when you first buy but I'd rather invest a little time (which is also good for learning the lens) and save a few hundred bucks.

Thank you for this.

When you say you're developing pictures from RAW, are you stitching multiple pictures together? For example take three pictures at different exposure settings (or whatever), and then use one for the lighted tent, one for the background, and one for the night sky?

twall13

WKR
Thank you for this.

When you say you're developing pictures from RAW, are you stitching multiple pictures together? For example take three pictures at different exposure settings (or whatever), and then use one for the lighted tent, one for the background, and one for the night sky?
That sounds more like an HDR photo where different exposures are blended into the same photo. RAW is more of a file format. As I understand it Jpeg, Tiff, etc. formats are edited inside the camera before you even see the images (for noise, etc.). RAW is unedited and you remove noise after with an editing program like Light room or photoshop. I've never used RAW so I could be off here but that's my understanding.

colonel00

WKR
You are correct. RAW is essentially all of the information collected by the camera sensor in an unprocessed (raw) format. It usually doesn't initially look as "good" as a processed .jpeg but it will allow you to do so much more of you are using a post processing application.

As a general suggestion, even if you don't process photos or any of that, if you camera shoots in RAW + JPEG, then do that. If you should get a really cool picture but it needs a little work, you can always give the RAW file to someone that can process it to maybe bring out some details lost in a simple JPEG image.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not much of a photography guy, in fact there have been times when I've even forgotten to take pics after a kill.:eek:

All I have is a small old Kodak digital camera, but there have been times when I wished I had a good setup and knew what I was doing like on these opportunities:

Attachments

• 100_2601.jpg
    100_2601.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_2604.jpg
    100_2604.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 60

colonel00

WKR
Good looking photos, 5MB.

I was playing around with Lightroom last night. This photo still has too much noise but they are still fun to play with. As an example about shooting in RAW, in my first photo above, the lake at the bottom and the sky were much darker. Using RAW files allows that information to still be there and you can pull it out in post processing.

MW_zpsgnged0ab.jpg

OP
CrzyTrekker
You are correct. RAW is essentially all of the information collected by the camera sensor in an unprocessed (raw) format. It usually doesn't initially look as "good" as a processed .jpeg but it will allow you to do so much more of you are using a post processing application.

As a general suggestion, even if you don't process photos or any of that, if you camera shoots in RAW + JPEG, then do that. If you should get a really cool picture but it needs a little work, you can always give the RAW file to someone that can process it to maybe bring out some details lost in a simple JPEG image.

+1 shoot RAW + JPEG. The JPEG will show you how the camera decided to process the picture, giving you something to shoot for in your post processing (with Lightroom or whatever). Ultimately, you can produce much better results on your own.