Night time wolf hunting tactics?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready to go attempt to smoke some wolves at night with my thermal scope. Any ideas how I should go about it? Is it more or less the same as doing coyote hunting stands?

Throw some wounded animal sounds through the fox pro, scan for a while, then relocate half a mile or so and repeat?

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Can you legally bait, and put out a fresh kill getting blood and guts into the air?
I’ll have to check into that. I know I can for trapping if it’s so far away from the set.

Pretend you are a coyote, wolves hate coyotes in their territory.
I didn’t even consider throwing out some coyote vocals to them.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe add calf elk distress sounds to the mix??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I'd probably not open air night hunting anything listed in the big game regs... but I love your enthusiasm.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
This is 100% within the law in case anyone thinks it’s not.

TheTone

WKR
As long as you’re on private land with written permission and have the department permit

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
As long as you’re on private land with written permission and have the department permit
Public land is legal provided you are in the season dates for expanded methods of take. Private land does not require the permit.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed four wolves by howling to get 'em to come in close. They seem to want vengeance and death to intruder canines.
Good to know that works. I have the wolf pack on my foxpro but someone told me the sounds don’t work for anything other than locating.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
well, I'm in AK not ID so maybe wolves behave differently outside my norm. Won't hurt to try a combo of wounded rabbit squeals and howling. BUT, I would bet howling as a vulnerable lone wolf is why Ive been successful. A whole pack of wolves might be too aggressive for bringing singles in for a shot. Just some thoughts 'till you find what works.

The wolf I shot in this video came in to my moose calls and brush thrashing. When it popped out of the willows in front my thrashing post, she and my dog Chachi locked eyes at 25 yards. I "wimply" howled while creeping back a few yards to get my rifle. When i got my shit together she and Chachi were still lazered and motionless. So I'm not quite sure if my howl kept her interested or confused or whether my dog was the bait....either way, wolf hide's in the freezer!

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
How do they react to regular dog barking or hound dog baying? Anybody try that? I’ve come across many references to hound and bird dogs killed by wolves in the field.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
well, I'm in AK not ID so maybe wolves behave differently outside my norm. Won't hurt to try a combo of wounded rabbit squeals and howling. BUT, I would bet howling as a vulnerable lone wolf is why Ive been successful. A whole pack of wolves might be too aggressive for bringing singles in for a shot. Just some thoughts 'till you find what works.

The wolf I shot in this video came in to my moose calls and brush thrashing. When it popped out of the willows in front my thrashing post, she and my dog Chachi locked eyes at 25 yards. I "wimply" howled while creeping back a few yards to get my rifle. When i got my shit together she and Chachi were still lazered and motionless. So I'm not quite sure if my howl kept her interested or confused or whether my dog was the bait....either way, wolf hide's in the freezer!

That’s awesome!

How do they react to regular dog barking or hound dog baying? Anybody try that? I’ve come across many references to hound and bird dogs killed by wolves in the field.
Shit. I’m picking up a hound soon for lion hunting and I didn’t even think about him getting killed by a wolf.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah Chachi and I have been in some sketchy wolf and bear scenes, and when you trust each other you'll see soon enough why dogs are great field buddies. Ive only once feared for her life and that was a time when she and I stopped to look at fresh tracks on a gravel bar island and a pack of 8 timber wolves encircled us. It took a big alpha male more than twice her size and mass to scare her back to the raft. Dogs are cool man. I hope you bond with your hound on his or her level. It's as much about their experience as our own IMO.

Good luck, hope you make it happen.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I’ll check into the armor I didn’t know that existed. Hopefully if it works out I’ll get one or two more so they’re a little more safe together.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Seemed like quite a few hounds got in trouble first 5-8 after the reintroduction in Idaho. About as ugly of encounters as you can imagine. But since the F&G has really pushed leaving your hounds on leash as long as possible and it seems to have cut back attacks a ton.