Night vision

Mwilson

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for Ideas on a solid, but budget night vision scope for an AR. Trying to cut the coyote problem down at the house.

Do you already have a thermal scanning device? If yes you are on the right track. If no, you will want one. Scanning with any rifle/NV scope is a PIA. Find them with the thermal, then shoot them with NV is a workable solution. I have a thermal scanner and a X-Sight II NV scope. It works.

OP
Mwilson

Mwilson

Lil-Rokslider
I do not, in fact I only have a red predator light and a .556 rifle. The coyotes run the deer off my place and I’m worried about my dogs. The killed a goat a couple weeks ago and I’m pretty sure they’re the reason 2 calf’s are nowhere to be found. Just looking for reasonably priced option to take them out

I would 10/10 recommend a Sightmark Wraith. Upgrade the IR and you’ll have more than enough “light” to shoot 700 yards. You will definitely want a scanner of some sort. Thermal if you can afford, I can’t so I use a Sightmark signal 320rt night vision monocular. You will want to upgrade that IR as well, or have some sort of qd to switch between the two of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhlyanPan

FNG
Reasonably priced and night vision don't go in the same sentence.

Weekender is correct about scanning with thermal. It is the best way to detect them. Then digital on the rifle with an IR illuminator for final ID and making the shot would likely be your best bang for the buck. I currently run helmet mounted gen 3 night vision with IR laser on the gun but it's pricey and not as good at detection as thermal.

steve1VM

FNG
Sightmark Wraith is a great budget choice, no doubt about it. My brother uses one for 2 years already, and it works perfectly. I also know some great models of night vision scopes from AGM ( over here: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/night-vision ). They have only professional military guys in their team, so products they produce are perfect.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the Sightmark Wraith is a 4X base magnification unit and your FOV will be small compared to lower magnification scanners. If you are hunting big wide open areas, fields and such, this may not be a major issue. If you are hunting smaller tracks with tighter viewing, it will be a major issue.

Ajvandenbosch8

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 4K pro 3-14 and it’s leaps and bounds ahead of the wraith... I have both and for the $600 that the 4K costs it’s worth every penny

Mykonos

FNG
I’ve heard some bad reviews for ATN stuff but it seems like soooo many people have them as well.

Do you already have a thermal scanning device? If yes you are on the right track. If no, you will want one. Scanning with any rifle/NV scope is a PIA. Find them with the thermal, then shoot them with NV is a workable solution. I have a thermal scanner and a X-Sight II NV scope. It works.
What thermal scanner do you have

"What thermal scanner do you have"
I have the Axiom Key 30. It is an "entry level" scanner that works best at less than 500 yds. I hunt in NC and don't have access to big fields where I could see long distance. The key 30 does what I need it to which is tell me I have an incoming live animal. After about 200 yds, it becomes more difficult to say tell between a fox and coyote.

ChrisAU

WKR
I would 10/10 recommend a Sightmark Wraith. Upgrade the IR and you’ll have more than enough “light” to shoot 700 yards. You will definitely want a scanner of some sort. Thermal if you can afford, I can’t so I use a Sightmark signal 320rt night vision monocular. You will want to upgrade that IR as well, or have some sort of qd to switch between the two of them

What IR are you using? I have. 2-16 Wraith on the way for nighttime hogs/coyotes