Nightforce 4-16x42mm ATACR Field Evaluation Q&A

BjornF16

WKR
Did your testing including any of the Zeiss models? The V4 and V6 are pretty well-liked. Curious how they stack up.
Search is your friend...just type in a scope name and “By User = Formidilosus”

“Pad with bubble wrap”...lol

NXS’s are extremely solid. Here’s a 3.5-15x F1 from yesterday with the full drop eval, and then 23 more 36” drops for each shot, totaling a 30 round group with 38 drops- 32 of which were from 36 inches-
Is there any practical difference between the NXS F1 and baby ATACR F1? Aside from the obvious dimensional differences of course.

I’d love to buy an NXS 3.5-15 F1 MOAR. If anyone sees one I’d be interested

Can the SHV with the exposed elevation turret be shimmed for a zero stop? The 4-14 F1 checks a lot of boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're not very common in the used market. I've seen them on other forum classifieds in decent shape for $1500, they hold their value very well.
Yeah, used to see them fairly regularly on the hide classifieds. I think @Formidilosus has increased their forum resale value as of late.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Is there any practical difference between the NXS F1 and baby ATACR F1? Aside from the obvious dimensional differences of course.

There are some mechanical differences, and the eye box and eye reliefs are slightly better in the ATACR, the NXS F1 has very good resolution, but “color pop” isn’t as good as the ATACR.

I wish they still made the 3.5-15x50 F1. That scope with a good reticle would be all I would use for medium to long range.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d love to buy an NXS 3.5-15 F1 MOAR. If anyone sees one I’d be interested

Can the SHV with the exposed elevation turret be shimmed for a zero stop? The 4-14 F1 checks a lot of boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The shv f1 has what’s called zero set. Basically a zero stop, the turret is pushed down when it it secured and allows little to no negative rotation. It’s effective as a zero stop, just not the same style as the more expensive nightforce scopes.

prm

WKR
Now if we could get some engineers to get the weight down to ~20-22oz without sacrificing performance or durability, that would be ideal. A dream, I know.

SDHNTR

WKR
Now if we could get some engineers to get the weight down to ~20-22oz without sacrificing performance or durability, that would be ideal. A dream, I know.
I’ve said the same thing myself many times, and you’d think I’d said the world is flat! Apparently, we’re just supposed to accept 2 pound scopes and be satisfied with it. And apparently engineers can stop innovating because giant bazooka scopes are acceptable to the consumer. Us consumers blame the manufacturers, and the manufacturers point at what sells and nothing gets done.

FWIW, Swaro Z6 3-18x50 is 21 oz, and Zeiss V6 3-18x50 is 23 oz. Yet apparently both aren’t durable (which is news to me and I own more than one of both).

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Nxs 2.5-10.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I’ve said the same thing myself many times, and you’d think I’d said the world is flat! Apparently, we’re just supposed to accept 2 pound scopes and be satisfied with it. And apparently engineers can stop innovating because giant bazooka scopes are acceptable to the consumer.
Have you considered that maybe its not possible?
That there just isn't material yet that can be bomb proof and light?
All titanium? Are you willing to pay $3600 for a 3-18 nxs TI?

Honestly it may be possible but I can about but promise no one is willing to pay what it would cost.

SDHNTR

WKR
Have you considered that maybe its not possible?
That there just isn't material yet that can be bomb proof and light?
All titanium? Are you willing to pay $3600 for a 3-18 nxs TI?

Honestly it may be possible but I can about but promise no one is willing to pay what it would cost.
Yes, personally I would, but how do you know it would be $3600? $3000 scopes are almost commonplace now. As are $5000+ rifles. There’s a boutique market for such things.

I would think if it was possible the Leupold would work.
There light but they don't work. When no company is doing idk what makes you think its possible?

Yes, personally I would, but how do you know it would be $3600? $3000 scopes are almost commonplace now. As are $5000+ rifles. There’s a boutique market for such things.
Id think if it was possible and there was enough of a market they would do it.
Leupold can't. You say the rest just won't.

It would take higher tech materials, those cost more.
And the average person wants a $500 scope. Why do you think the market is flooded with junk.