Nightforce 4-16x42mm ATACR Field Evaluation Q&A

Anecdotal account from 2019 on this scope.

Rifle took a fall from about 7 feet on HARD ground, landing directly on the scope. The impact broke the stock as shown. Took the rifle home- used some epoxy and a homemade splint resulting in a shoddy stock repair. When I took the rifle back to the range the scope was still dead on. I was only able do take two shots before the stock broke again, but I was sold.

Attachments

• 092F2B8B-6952-46BD-AFD0-5C975F427502.jpeg
    092F2B8B-6952-46BD-AFD0-5C975F427502.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 249

SDHNTR

WKR
@SDHNTR if you front the money to r&d a minimum sellable product and it passes @Formidilosus test and weight 22oz or less i will re mortgage my home to pay for the first production run.
I don’t believe can’t. Won’t is probably more accurate. And no, I’m not fronting anyone any money. I already run one business, zero interest in another. But I will surely be a buyer when someone finally figures it out.

And actually I don’t know if mass production is even the answer. Why don’t we have bespoke custom scope options like we do rifles? Maybe that’s the business model if there’s not a mass market for a lightweight, durable scope?

SDHNTR

WKR
Anecdotal account from 2019 on this scope.

Rifle took a fall from about 7 feet on HARD ground, landing directly on the scope. The impact broke the stock as shown. Took the rifle home- used some epoxy and a homemade splint resulting in a shoddy stock repair. When I took the rifle back to the range the scope was still dead on. I was only able do take two shots before the stock broke again, but I was sold.
And wow, that’s pretty remarkable! Maybe it was the weight of that 2lb+ scope that broke that stock!🤣😂

prm

WKR
Easy folks, I said “I can dream”. I have no idea if it’s feasible at any price. SWFP is getting close though.

2.5-10 NXS is SFP. Not what I want with a MIL reticle.

Last edited:
I don’t believe can’t. Won’t is probably more accurate. And no, I’m not fronting anyone any money. I already run one business, zero interest in another. But I will surely be a buyer when someone finally figures it out.

And actually I don’t know if mass production is even the answer. Why don’t we have bespoke custom scope options like we do rifles? Maybe that’s the business model if there’s not a mass market for a lightweight, durable scope?
Ether its not possible or the cost is so high they don't think there will be a return on investment.

I'm sure NF has thought about going lighter.
And there's a reason Leupolds are not durable my assumption is they are chosing a lighter weigh knowing even with warranty the cost basis is favorable.

I which they made the NX8 in a more reasonable zoom range. I really like my 4-32 but it would be better as a 4-20
Id run the 2.5-20 but I refuse to run a picatinny rail and the mounting length is to short.

SDHNTR

WKR
Ether its not possible or the cost is so high they don't think there will be a return on investment.

And there's a reason Leupolds are not durable my assumption is they are chosing a lighter weigh knowing even with warranty the cost basis is favorable.

I which they made the NX8 in a more reasonable zoom range. I really like my 4-32 but it would be better as a 4-20
Id run the 2.5-20 but I refuse to run a picatinny rail and the mounting length is to short.
And the eye box renders it almost unusable.

amassi

WKR

Yep, I use the nx8 on a short action so can run 1 piece talleys.
I'd switch everything to a nx4 5-20 even 4-16 for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
And the eye box renders it almost unusable.
This has not been my experience- I have astigmatism and wear glasses so I'm pretty sensitive. What setup did you have issues with?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Evolution, not revolution.

1- Scopes that hold zero.

2- Then scopes that hold zero while adjusting correctly (we are here, but barely).

3- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized.

4- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized, with excellent FOV and eyebox.

5- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized, with excellent FOV and eyebox, with good to excellent glass.

6- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized, with excellent FOV and eyebox, with good to excellent glass, and good features.

7- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized, with excellent FOV and eyebox, with good to excellent glass, good features, and reduced size and weight.

We’re at #2. And that’s only for a few scopes. Jumping or demanding #7 when companies haven’t even figured out #1 and 2 is why this has went nowhere.

SDHNTR

WKR
Evolution, not revolution.

1- Scopes that hold zero.

2- Then scopes that hold zero while adjusting correctly (we are here, but barely).

3- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized.

4- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized, with excellent FOV and eyebox.

5- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized, with excellent FOV and eyebox, with good to excellent glass.

6- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized, with excellent FOV and eyebox, with good to excellent glass, and good features.

7- Then scopes that hold zero, adjust correctly, with reticles that are optimized, with excellent FOV and eyebox, with good to excellent glass, good features, and reduced size and weight.

We’re at #2. And that’s only for a few scopes. Jumping or demanding #7 when companies haven’t even figured out #1 and 2 is why this has went nowhere.
Haha. Actually a valid point.

Dobermann

WKR
Haha. Actually a valid point.
@SDHNTR: Just gotta say that it warms my heart when you have these civil responses to Form. Gives me hope for humanity in general, and internet forums in particular. [Might possibly pause to dab eye slightly.]

Right folks, back to you regular programming ...

Dobermann

WKR
Easy folks, I said “I can dream”. I have no idea if it’s feasible at any price. SWFA is getting close though.

2.5-10 NXS is SFP. Not what I want with a MIL reticle.

I think we've done it before, but reference weights for (some of) what we know work:

NF ATACR 4-16x42: 30 oz / 850 g
Bushnell LRTS/LRHS 4.5-18 x 44: 27.3 oz / 774 g
SWFA 3-15 x 42: 24 oz / 680 g
Bushnell LRTS/LRHS 3-12 x 44: 26.4 oz / 748 g
SWFA 3-9 x 42: 19 oz / 539 g

I would add NXS F1 to the list:

NF NXS 3-15x50 F1 30 oz

Dobermann

WKR
I would add NXS F1 to the list:

NF NXS 3-15x50 F1 30 oz
Good catch!

And fascinating to see that it's the same (stated) weight as the ATACR 4-16 x 42.

I used to have the NXS and sold it ... in part, thinking it was too heavy. But now seeing it against the ATACR, with a smaller objective ... ah well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes, personally I would, but how do you know it would be $3600? $3000 scopes are almost commonplace now. As are $5000+ rifles. There’s a boutique market for such things.
You are completely free to design your own scope, have someone build it, and test your prototype and present it to the market. All you've done so far is complain that no scope company is listening or hasn't responded to you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure the glass is cracked? NF had a problem with the first production runs of 4-16 F1s with a lens adhesive that wasn't fully cured during assembly leading to spider webs on the internal lenses. I had one of these that had a similar look to yours only much worse after exposing it to below freezing temps. Like yours, it didn't affect the mechanical function, just looked like shit. I sent it in and NF fixed and returned it to me in short order.

Last edited:
How's the F1 MOAR reticle work for hunting? Not on the Mil bandwagon so this appears to be the only option in MOA.

They did a custom one for Gunwerks several years ago. The most usable NF reticle to me. Wish it were still available.
So all we need to do is convince our favorite nightforce forum sponsor to order a batch up with a perfect custom hunting reticle.