Nightforce ATACR 4-16 F1 or F2?

laker220

FNG
Looking at purchasing a NF ATACR 4-16 in the MOAR reticle. This will be a multi-purpose scope for me for both hunting and range use. Kind of going back and forth between the FFP (F1) and SFP (F2) as I am a little unsure that the F1 reticle will be good at 4x in low light. Curious if anyone can share some pics of the F1 at 4x in normal or low light conditions and maybe in both of the colors as well. Would also be open to opinions on which is better for my purpose, SFP or FFP.

Last edited:
I don't have an ATACR (yet) but I do have an NX8 2.5-20x50 MOAR and at 2.5 power i can typically see the reticle just fine even in the thick woods here in the Southeast (functions as a plex reticle at low power). When I can't see the reticle great I turn on the illumination and it's a non-issue.

OP
L

laker220

FNG
Thx, curious to see what your reticle looks like as well on the lowest and highest powers.
I don't have an ATACR (yet) but I do have an NX8 2.5-20x50 MOAR and at 2.5 power i can typically see the reticle just fine even in the thick woods here in the Southeast (functions as a plex reticle at low power). When I can't see the reticle great I turn on the illumination and it's a non-issue.

OP
L

laker220

FNG
unsure that the F1 reticle will be good at 4x in low light
Thinking with the illumination at minimum power the reticle should be prominent enough to see but just need to se some pics to be sure. 3hr drive to the shop that sells the ATACR and won't be able to get up there for quite some time yet. Would like to just order.

I have an ATACR 4-16x50 MOAR F1. I definitely prefer a first focal plane scope, primarily because the reticle subtensions are equal at any magnification. From my perspective, 4x is such a low magnification, you’d practically need to be so close to find that level of magnification valuable....combined with low light conditions. Be careful about making a decision based on a scenario with a low percentage of likelihood. Buy a scope for the 95% probability versus the 5% possibility.

I've got an F1, great optic. At low power the reticle is perfectly usable in any typical situation. If you need the reticle to hold wind in dismal lighting conditions for a long shot it's not ideal, but most people don't take long shots using the lowest magnification available.

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I have the F1 and took most of my shots last season around 6x or so and had no issues with the reticle

Big Ern

WKR
Great scope....had it on my hunting rig in 4-16x42 f1 with mil-R reticle. Good glass. Reliable. Tracked perfect. At 4x the reticle is easily usable as a duplex reticle.

The only penalty with this scope is the weight. But a ffp compact scope with top tier glass and low weight is kind of a unicorn. I am looking for it, but it is the land of compromises.

The atacr may be the best all around in this category. Another option is the TT, but you are bumping up in price big time, and only losing 3-4 ounces and scope length increases as touch.

OP
L

laker220

FNG
I have an ATACR 4-16x50 MOAR F1. I definitely prefer a first focal plane scope, primarily because the reticle subtensions are equal at any magnification. From my perspective, 4x is such a low magnification, you’d practically need to be so close to find that level of magnification valuable....combined with low light conditions. Be careful about making a decision based on a scenario with a low percentage of likelihood. Buy a scope for the 95% probability versus the 5% possibility.
I appreciate your perspective and agree if mostly long distance hunting. I hunt both open fields as well as some bush. Shots could be anywhere from 50 yards to 500 yards as well as low light (limited to ~150 yards). I want a reticle that will function well in all scenarios. I actually hunt with my magnification on min (4x) and increase zoom as required. A lot easier to find a target with a large field of view.

OP
L

laker220

FNG
Can any of you guys show some pics with the reticle on 4x (or min for the 5-20) with the green and red illumination?

Can any of you guys show some pics with the reticle on 4x (or min for the 5-20) with the green and red illumination?

Man... I tried to get a good pic of my 4-16 ATACR F1 (Mil-R) at 4x. But it’s tough with just a phone camera and no good way to mount things. That said I’ve found the reticle usable at 4x like others here have. I can read the reticle just fine on long open country or more wooded terrain. I carry it usually around 5 or 6x while hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the F2 model. I went back and forth with the same consideration as you. The guys that prefer the F1 definitely aren't wrong so like a lot of things when it comes to optics it will come down to personal preference. My rifles are all hunting rifles first and I'll shoot out to extended ranges for fun so I went with the F2 since the reticle is plenty fine not to get in the way at close and midrange shots and I can still dial up to 16 to calculate minutes if I need to. Could easily have gone with F1 though. Good luck. Trying to decide which ATACR you want is a good problem to have!

OP
L

laker220

FNG
I just picked up the F2 model. I went back and forth with the same consideration as you. The guys that prefer the F1 definitely aren't wrong so like a lot of things when it comes to optics it will come down to personal preference. My rifles are all hunting rifles first and I'll shoot out to extended ranges for fun so I went with the F2 since the reticle is plenty fine not to get in the way at close and midrange shots and I can still dial up to 16 to calculate minutes if I need to. Could easily have gone with F1 though. Good luck. Trying to decide which ATACR you want is a good problem to have!

Agreed this is a good problem to have.

OP
L

laker220

FNG
Here, I will Google that for you:
Thx 406Smith. I had found that one as well. Was really hoping for pics with the illumination in the 2 colours at 4x. Just trying to gather all the info I can to make this decision. I really do appreciate your help as this is a really good video.

Last edited: