Nightforce Mil-R Reticle

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking into getting Nightforce SHV scope.

I was leaning towards the mil version, I like everything about the reticle except for the extra upside down "T".

I read the reticle info on the nightforce website, and they claim it's for ranging. I don't see how this is any different than using the crosshairs/mil marks for ranging. Seems pointless and just adds clutter to the sight picture.
What am I missing? Is it actually useful?

At this point I'm leaning toward the MOA version just to avoid the "T".

1655753133942.png

slowelk

WKR
You don't notice the scale when you're behind the scope. It's better for ranging than the base reticle because it has more gradients (0.1 Mil vs 0.5 or 0.25). It works.

OP
T

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You don't notice the scale when you're behind the scope. It's better for ranging than the base reticle because it has more gradients (0.1 Mil vs 0.5 or 0.25). It works.
That's a good point.

I haven't had a chance to look through the scope yet, so I don't know if it would bother me or not while looking through it.

WKR
I never even noticed it. Have several and my mind blocks it completely out. Friend asked me what I thought of it and I had to go look through the scope again lol. I do like the Mil-R reticle a lot.

sndmn11

WKR
I sighted in two rifles with SHVf1 scopes and this reticle today. As always, using that lil T guy made it a 5 shot sight in to include a four shot confirmation group.

With .1 graduations it comes in handy.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
I have extensive time behind the F2 Mil-R and more recently the F1 Mil-C, both with the inverted ranging T. It’s completely unobtrusive during use, so don’t let that scare you off if you otherwise like the reticles.

Big Ern

WKR
The Mil-R reticle is excellent especially in a “tactical” style reticle that is practical in hinting scenarios. The ranging T is completely unnoticeable once you get used to working with the reticle. I use one (and an MSR which is very similar) in ffp on hunting scopes.

The Mil-C is nice, bit I find it too thin in an ffp scope for hinting purposes. Great for target/steel, etc. reticle even though I prefer an h2cmr if you are not into xmas tree type reticles.

I wouldn't call the inverted T distracting, but it's within a few mils of center, so I notice it, just like I notice the deer that's a few mils from center in the below picture. I'm not really sure how you could miss it. I have the Mil-C not the Mil-R, but they both have the inverted T in about the same location.

View attachment 424048

I don't use the inverted T for ranging or for scaling. I'd much rather NF incorporate 0.1 mil hashes from 4 mils to 5 mils or 5 mils to 6 mils like most modern reticles and remove the T. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't keep you from buying a particular reticle, but you should try to get behind it to see for yourself.

This makes sense to me. I've never had issue getting an accurate rifle zeroed with 1-3 shots using a reticle even with only half mil subtensions nor used a reticle for ranging so I'd just as soon not have the extra noise.
I also think it would be very unlikely to functionally impact my use negatively in hunting situations.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Distracting? No. Useful? Depends on if you ever want/need to mil range. I like it only because the Mil-R reticle has large subtensions. Can one estimate "close enough" with those big subtensions though? Yes. Even if you never mil range it's still discreet enough that I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker if you otherwise like the reticle.