Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 on Tikka T3 Lite

Just upgraded to a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 from a Vortex PST Gen2 5-25x50 on my Tikka T3x 30-06 because I wanted more low end magnification for the Virginia Appalachian hardwoods and general purpose Eastern hunting.

I had to get a new set of Seekins rings in medium height because the lows I have for the longer Vortex would not work. Still, the mediums height rings necessitated dremmeling the rail rear which otherwise would hit the protrusion on the magnification ring in the rear which rotates to the 6 o'clock position when the magnification is set beyond 16x, and hits the Mountain Tactical rail. Dremmeled with a 80ish grit barrel attachment and then polished with a mini-wire wheel attachment and 'painted' with a sharpie.

Actually turned out well and feel better about dremmeling than going to high rings.
IMG-9173.jpg
IMG-9171.jpgIMG-9176.jpgIMG-9172.jpgInkedIMG-9177_LI.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Virginia Woodsman
LRI milled off the front and rear rail knobs for a buddy using a 2-20 nx8. Looks slick and gives a lot of room.
And I assume they color matched paint/anodizing it also? Do you know what they charged? They did my bolt fluting and I was happy with price and results.

Lawnboi

WKR
And I assume they color matched paint/anodizing it also? Do you know what they charged? They did my bolt fluting and I was happy with price and results.
They cerakoted the rail after machining. I don’t remember what they charged. I mounted the scope originally and noticed the catch on the power ring. With the front and rear lopped off it also allowed for more clearance and movement as well. The rifle was in for a complete cerakote so I’m not sure what they would charge for the part done individually. They did a good job.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Nice rifle & nice scope but I’m curious why so much magnification on primarily a short range hunting rifle?

Why
Nice rifle & nice scope but I’m curious why so much magnification on primarily a short range hunting rifle?
Why buy a car that goes 180 when the speed limit is 70?

I have the same optics and I like that it goes all the way down to 2.5... having the big end is just a plus, why not have it? Doesn't have to be for the shot, investigating tines or assisting with aging are applicable reasons to have it.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Why

Why buy a car that goes 180 when the speed limit is 70?

I have the same optics and I like that it goes all the way down to 2.5... having the big end is just a plus, why not have it? Doesn't have to be for the shot, investigating tines or assisting with aging are applicable reasons to have it.
Agree that high performance is fun & this keeps you from needing a spotting scope in some situations. I bought a 7mm RM as my first deer rifle knowing I wanted it for elk hunting 20 years before it ever shot an elk. Was thinking the Tikka might be going elk or sheep hunting some day. Eastern woods aren’t a high speed race track for optics magnification - so the question. 2.5 at the bottom makes it functional great glass & holding zero even better - but the premium paid for the 20x at the top end seems underutilized inside 500 yards. I’ve got 24x on a Bergara creedmor for longer range fun & have needed every bit at 1100 yards but 20x is a lot to hold steady on a hunting rest - just about requiring a bipod.

Bett
Agree that high performance is fun & this keeps you from needing a spotting scope in some situations. I bought a 7mm RM as my first deer rifle knowing I wanted it for elk hunting 20 years before it ever shot an elk. Was thinking the Tikka might be going elk or sheep hunting some day. Eastern woods aren’t a high speed race track for optics magnification - so the question. 2.5 at the bottom makes it functional great glass & holding zero even better - but the premium paid for the 20x at the top end seems underutilized inside 500 yards. I’ve got 24x on a Bergara creedmor for longer range fun & have needed every bit at 1100 yards but 20x is a lot to hold steady on a hunting rest - just about requiring a bipod.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Price point would be the same for comparable glass in lesser magnification anyway. Typically, the higher mag pieces have larger objective lenses which makes them even more desirable as a lot of shots come into play in low light situations. 2.5 power with a 50mm objective is pretty tits, especially with an illuminated ret. and that crispy NF glass. This is my favorite optic I own, and if I had the money, it would be on about every rifle in the box lol.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Bett

Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Price point would be the same for comparable glass in lesser magnification anyway. Typically, the higher mag pieces have larger objective lenses which makes them even more desirable as a lot of shots come into play in low light situations. 2.5 power with a 50mm objective is pretty tits, especially with an illuminated ret. and that crispy NF glass. This is my favorite optic I own, and if I had the money, it would be on about every rifle in the box lol.
I’m not sure what you consider significant savings but a Nightforce SHV with a top end of 14x & 56mm objective would save around $900 & you could have 2 of them for the price of 1 NX8. Losing the 2.5 & getting 4 on the bottom end wouldn’t bother me but I’m almost never in really thick woods.

The NF glass resolution is crisp but never looks as good to my eyes as Zeiss or S&B or even The nicer Leupolds or Meoptas. But if my life depended on reliable fiction NF wins hands down.

I’m not sure what you consider significant savings but a Nightforce SHV with a top end of 14x & 56mm objective would save around $900 & you could have 2 of them for the price of 1 NX8. Losing the 2.5 & getting 4 on the bottom end wouldn’t bother me but I’m almost never in really thick woods.

The NF glass resolution is crisp but never looks as good to my eyes as Zeiss or S&B or even The nicer Leupolds or Meoptas. But if my life depended on reliable fiction NF wins hands down.
SHV lowest power is 4 which a greater difference between 2.5 than the big end between 14 and 20 IMO. And only one of those comes in FFP and its 1200 bucks on average. The OP stated that he upgraded from a PST 5-25 to the NX8 because he wanted more low end mag capabilities. There's no reason why you wouldn't want to have high end capabilities too if it's an option. if they made a 28 oz 1-60x 56 I would want that lol.

We can disagree. We all choose the optics and calibers we like based on our preference. This one checks all my boxes for a rifle that essentially does all and goes anywhere for me.