Nightforce NX8 vs NXS... Thoughts for a new scope buyer?

Im a broke college student saving up to get a rifle that will last me a lifetime. Im currently in the research stage and am looking at maybe a CA Ridgeline in a 300 RUM and putting a Nightforce on top. My dad shoots 900+ with his NXS 5.5-22x50 and is happy with it... but after research, I wanted to know if the NX8 in a 4-32x50 would be an upgrade. Aside from the bigger zoom range, it also has newer and higher quality glass, however has a smaller exit pupil than the NXS, which seems to equate to less light gathering ability. Does the better glass make up for the smaller exit pupil?

Aother question I have is about First or Second Focal plane. I plan on using this gun for both long range distance hunting, and also 500 and under hunting... whats the difference and which one should I get?

bpurtz

WKR
I have a long gun with an NX8 - it's a great scope and I would highly recommend it. When I had my gun built I went with the NX8 in FFP - after shooting, I quickly decided that was the wrong choice for me - at low power the reticle is very thin and difficult to see. I sold the NX8 FFP here on Rokslide and bought a NX8 in SFP.

The benefit of FFP is that for follow-up shots that require an MOA adjustment, you can simply choose a different reticle dash rather than redial. You can use the same non-dial adjust with the reticle on a SFP but usually only on full magnification power.

If you still think you might prefer a FFP scope, I'd suggest you try to look through one first - the thin reticle was really difficult for me to use at low power - especially in low light...

OP
TheColorCamo
I have a long gun with an NX8 - it's a great scope and I would highly recommend it. When I had my gun built I went with the NX8 in FFP - after shooting, I quickly decided that was the wrong choice for me - at low power the reticle is very thin and difficult to see. I sold the NX8 FFP here on Rokslide and bought a NX8 in SFP.

The benefit of FFP is that for follow-up shots that require an MOA adjustment, you can simply choose a different reticle dash rather than redial. You can use the same non-dial adjust with the reticle on a SFP but usually only on full magnification power.

If you still think you might prefer a FFP scope, I'd suggest you try to look through one first - the thin reticle was really difficult for me to use at low power - especially in low light...
Did yours have an illuminated reticle? I looked at some that did... here's pics.

Do you think the reticle will be too fat on max power for long distance shots?

Attachments

• 20211222_145121.jpg
    20211222_145121.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20211222_145044.jpg
    20211222_145044.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 47
I would reconsider the CA rifle and go with a different manufacturer as they have been hit and miss on accuracy with quality control lacking asvof late. I would not hesitate getting the NX8 in FFP illuminated.

I would reconsider the CA rifle and go with a different manufacturer as they have been hit and miss on accuracy with quality control lacking asvof late. I would not hesitate getting the NX8 in FFP illuminated.
Nah - I own two CA’s. I have buddies that own several more. All are sub .5 moa rifles with premium factory ammo. One of mine is .25 moa with factory ammo - like shoots these groups every time. 24ADE3EC-C0A8-409F-9CD5-466EC26F104E.jpeg

OP
TheColorCamo
Nah - I own two CA’s. I have buddies that own several more. All are sub .5 moa rifles with premium factory ammo. One of mine is .25 moa with factory ammo - like shoots these groups every time. View attachment 381719
What model do you have? I'm looking at the Traverse or the Ridgeline... I like the Monte carlo stock on the Traverse :)

bpurtz

WKR
Did yours have an illuminated reticle? I looked at some that did... here's pics.

Do you think the reticle will be too fat on max power for long distance shots?
My NX8 SFP does have the illuminated reticle and I'm fairly certain the FFP version did too - however I've never used the feature when hunting. I don't think at max power that the reticle is too wide, but at low power it was just to thin for me...I'm 56 and my eyes are probably not as good as yours. Still you might do some searches on this site about FFP vs SFP - I suppose it's a personal preference to some degree.

I've only had 1 time that I made a follow up shot - actually it was a second shot because I missed on the first - I was solo and had no idea if I missed high or low so my only option was to re-range the distance and check my dial. If you have a spotter that can quickly identify a MOA adjustment for a follow up then maybe the FFP makes sense...

What model do you have? I'm looking at the Traverse or the Ridgeline... I like the Monte carlo stock on the Traverse :)
I have the BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC and a MPP in 308. That little MPP is a shooter as well and is my new mountain/backcountry hunting gun.

The CA’s will usually settle in at 40-50 rounds and you will see an improvement in accuracy. Both of mine starter at .75-1 moa rifles and by 50 rounds were shooting groups half that size or better.

I had a mesa in 300 win mag and shot extremely well and have buddies that have been happy with them also. On the nx8, I have three now. I had an nxs first. Glass seems a bit better, eye box is a hair more finicky but with proper check weld is a non issue for me. I have also switched to all ffp to keep the reticle measurements correct in all situations. The reticle is thin on low power but I have been hunting for 30 years and apparently am not the guy to zoom way down because I don’t think I have shot under 7 with any scope ever. You can still see it and illumination helps, you just don’t see the hash marks which is fine because you aren’t holding anything when it’s that close. It also is a bit thick at max if you want to shoot a small dot, non issue on an animal. The glass isn’t as good at about 28 and up, which is also fine because I rarely go past 25. Hopefully this helps a little. Overall I have been very happy and can’t decide which I like more, the nx8 or mark 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk