NightForce NX8

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not new to Nightforce as I have about 6 of them. I have been running the NX8 for the last year and a half and am slowly switching most of my hunting rifles to the NX8's. I will say that running the low rings and the extreme hardcore gear 20 moa rail with level built in I was very close to contact on the front bell, I think a standard rail would be fine, can't speak for a long action yet. In the pic below I am using this on my comp Rifle in 260 rem. at the Nightforce ELR match. had no problems shooting out to 2200 yards with the optic. I would say its a perfect scope for a lot of applications, but that's just my 0.02 cents

20200614_095120[1].jpg

archp625

WKR
I have the 2.5-20 NX8 and its an awesome scope. As someone else mentions pair that with a pair of Hawkins Hybrids. You will not be disappointed.

gelton

WKR
The funny thing about the NX8 is that the 8x magnification doesn't really excite me. Neither does the 35MM tube, and from what I am reading is a finicky parallax and eyebox (due to the 35mm tubes most likely) but I am interested in the weight savings and the throw lever for the magnification.

If the NXS were the same weight and you didn't have to turn the whole ocular housing to change magnification, there is no doubt I would prefer it over the NX8.

The funny thing about the NX8 is that the 8x magnification doesn't really excite me. Neither does the 35MM tube, and from what I am reading is a finicky parallax and eyebox (due to the 35mm tubes most likely) but I am interested in the weight savings and the throw lever for the magnification.

If the NXS were the same weight and you didn't have to turn the whole ocular housing to change magnification, there is no doubt I would prefer it over the NX8.

Well I hate to burst your bubble but the NX8 has a 30mm tube.

gelton

WKR
Well I hate to burst your bubble but the NX8 has a 30mm tube.
I stand corrected. Bubble not bursted.

I guess the point is that engineering an 8x erector causes limitations in other areas. This would be my first Nightforce purchase and I am considering all angles, good and bad, before dropping the coin. This writeup seems to be one of the better ones that point to those limitations -

snipershide.com/shooting/threads/nightforce-nx8-2-5-20x50-initial-thoughts.6958517/

I stand corrected. Bubble not bursted.

I guess the point is that engineering an 8x erector causes limitations in other areas. This would be my first Nightforce purchase and I am considering all angles, good and bad, before dropping the coin. This writeup seems to be one of the better ones that point to those limitations -

snipershide.com/shooting/threads/nightforce-nx8-2-5-20x50-initial-thoughts.6958517/

I agree that an 8x magnification range is going to limit performance somewhere else. I want to try one of these in person but my guess is I'll end up going with something else.

There are a lot of reports of the 2.5-20 being optically inferior to the 4-32 variant. Has anybody had trigger time with both?

tdhanses

WKR

Good thing is it has none of those issues to me, the SHV had a way more picky eyebox.

I have the NX8 4-32. No way I need that much magnification. I'll probably use about 20 or so max. But I'd rather be zoomed to 20 on a 32 vs 20 on a 20. I've read the extremes, low and high, of any scope will not be as good as in between - they all have a sweet spot.
Agreed
I like the 32 power on my nx8 to zoom in for a really good view of my target, 24x is still super clear but I usually hang around 18 within 1k

To the original question, yes, I think an NX8 is too much scope on a 5.5# 30/06. Unless you’re talking 1-8x.

A high magnification scope with a reportedly finicky parallax and thin ffp reticle does not make sense on that rifle especially for someone with “aging eyes”. I’m sure it would work fine, just doesn’t make sense.

amassi

WKR
If I had a field craft I'd look long and hard at the nxs 2.5-10x42 @ 21 oz. It would probably be right at home

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk