Nightforce nxs 2.5x10

Since I've never held or looked through one but have one on back order i thought i would get your guys thoughts . See if im making the right move i have a new custom rifle finished soon and wanted this rifle to finish at a nice carry weight for whitetail or mulie pack in trips i ordered a nxs 2.5x10 . My only worry is if i will miss the higher end mag. Its a long throuted 7 saum shots maybe out to 700 ish. I love my x5 scopes but they are larger than i wanted on this one

Reckon we had the same idea, i’ve used one on my very long throated SAUM.

8d4e99f786f127f04f232b2ea5fad8d7.jpg

They are nice scopes, not much better out there for a bulletproof lightish scope with that feature set imo. That said, my saum is now wearing a swfa 3-9 because the longer tube allows it to be mounted where I want it. The NF wouldn’t mount back far enough in Sportsmatch rings for me and with a mountain tac pic rail and low rings the objective bell hits the rail before it was back far enough.. My stock’s LOP might be a little longer than ideal but it’s no issue with the swfa. The nightforce has better fov, reticles, turrets, and also has a zero stop and illum but I still don’t feel like I’ve lost enough with the SWFA for it to bother me.

10x is plenty for hunting IMO. I used to want at least 15x because it IS nice on targets. With time I’ve found myself using much lower x for hunting and I think most folks crank up their mag too high. People not being able to find critters in their scope, spot their shots, shooting the wrong animal, failing to get quick follow ups, etc I think are all a product of too much mag. I think I only had that NXS at 4x or so when I shot my sheep at 300 yards this year because I wanted to see the body language of the other sheep in the peripheral leading up to the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
wind gypsy said it all best.

I have one on my fieldcraft. love it. My dedicated hunting rigs are getting less mag because of all the above reasons. I Still have high mag scope on my "target hunting" rifles. Even with 32x on my nx8 i find myself mostly on 10-12x now.

OP
Steakngravy
Thanks guys, i will say gypsy that i really thought about the swfa 3-9 and still may get one to check out they seem to be really popular . My only worry is the reticle being so fine at the lower power might be a non issue idk .

Broz

WKR
My only complaint would be the reduced size reticle that comes in the 2.5 x 10" but they are a very tough scope, dial, track and hold zero like NO other and a great size for your needs. 10 X to 700 and ever 1K is fine.

I would also encourage you look at the 3-10 SHV. I’ve had both and I sold my NXS compact to buy another scope I wanted to try, but kept the SHV because I like it as much or better and they are less expensive.

The downside will be the capped elevation if you are dialing a lot, but you get capped windage too which I like for hunting. You can get illuminated or non. There’s not a zero stop on the turret, so you do have to pay attention if you’re dialing way out there. The turret is 10moa per rev, so on my 6.5CM I can get to 500 yards in one rotation. 700 would take me into a second rotation, but just pay attention to what your doing and spin it back correctly and you’ll be ok.

After 300 yards I personally will always be setting up on my bipod or tripod to shoot, so spinning that capped turret off doesn’t add more time and I’ve never missed a shot on it. I also feel like the eyebox was more forgiving and easier to look through on the SHV, thus making the glass even seem a little better to my eyes.

I would also encourage you look at the 3-10 SHV. I’ve had both and I sold my NXS compact to buy another scope I wanted to try, but kept the SHV because I like it as much or better and they are less expensive.

The downside will be the capped elevation if you are dialing a lot, but you get capped windage too which I like for hunting. You can get illuminated or non. There’s not a zero stop on the turret, so you do have to pay attention if you’re dialing way out there. The turret is 10moa per rev, so on my 6.5CM I can get to 500 yards in one rotation. 700 would take me into a second rotation, but just pay attention to what your doing and spin it back correctly and you’ll be ok.

After 300 yards I personally will always be setting up on my bipod or tripod to shoot, so spinning that capped turret off doesn’t add more time and I’ve never missed a shot on it. I also feel like the eyebox was more forgiving and easier to look through on the SHV, thus making the glass even seem a little better to my eyes.

Capped elevation and MOA only kill the SHV for me. If they had exposed elevation and built them in Mils I'd own one or two.

Thanks guys, i will say gypsy that i really thought about the swfa 3-9 and still may get one to check out they seem to be really popular . My only worry is the reticle being so fine at the lower power might be a non issue idk .

At first/last shooting light in overcast and heavily wooded conditions the reticle is a bit compromised for me but I've not seen a situation where it would ruin an opportunity yet.

OP
Steakngravy
Broz mentioned a reduced sized reticle . Not sure I'm following on that . Is it harder to see the hash marks in the reticle?

Broz

WKR
Broz mentioned a reduced sized reticle . Not sure I'm following on that . Is it harder to see the hash marks in the reticle?
The 2.5 x 10's are a compact optic that has a reduced size reticle. The side bars are longer resulting in a small image of the reticle.

2.5 x 10
Screenshot 2020-01-17 17.56.55.png

NXS 5.5 x 22 and ATACR 5x25

Screenshot 2020-01-17 17.56.24.png

carter33

WKR
I am putting an NXS 2.5-10 on my lightweight 6.5 PRC build. I agree with @skywalkr comments about the locking elevation and windage but of all available options out there I was most confident in this scope. Having had a 3.5-15 NXS and recently some leupolds I still think I will prefer the reticle on the 2.5-10 though I will admit I didn’t realize the reticle difference.

Broz

WKR
The post do appear to come in farther on the reticle but it has a good fov 44 feet on 2.5 vs 27 on the 3-15 so i don't think it will be an issue.
I have shot the 2.5 x 10 reticles to 1 K many times with no issues. I just don't like it. I wish it was the same as all the others

OP
Steakngravy
Appreciate the input guys , and broz i know you get to try a lot of different stuff do you think there is a better option for a smallish objective 44mm or less on a stock that won't have a raised cheek?

Broz

WKR
Appreciate the input guys , and broz i know you get to try a lot of different stuff do you think there is a better option for a smallish objective 44mm or less on a stock that won't have a raised cheek?
Probably not in 44 or less. Its a great scope and tough as nails. Use a great mount (I prefer rail and rings) and it will be a solid choice. Don't let the reticle deal scare you, Its more likely just me and a personal thing.

carter33

WKR
Reckon we had the same idea, i’ve used one on my very long throated SAUM.

8d4e99f786f127f04f232b2ea5fad8d7.jpg

They are nice scopes, not much better out there for a bulletproof lightish scope with that feature set imo. That said, my saum is now wearing a swfa 3-9 because the longer tube allows it to be mounted where I want it. The NF wouldn’t mount back far enough in Sportsmatch rings for me and with a mountain tac pic rail and low rings the objective bell hits the rail before it was back far enough.. My stock’s LOP might be a little longer than ideal but it’s no issue with the swfa. The nightforce has better fov, reticles, turrets, and also has a zero stop and illum but I still don’t feel like I’ve lost enough with the SWFA for it to bother me.

10x is plenty for hunting IMO. I used to want at least 15x because it IS nice on targets. With time I’ve found myself using much lower x for hunting and I think most folks crank up their mag too high. People not being able to find critters in their scope, spot their shots, shooting the wrong animal, failing to get quick follow ups, etc I think are all a product of too much mag. I think I only had that NXS at 4x or so when I shot my sheep at 300 yards this year because I wanted to see the body language of the other sheep in the peripheral leading up to the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What scope caps do you have on there and what’s your opinion of them? Just ordered some from aadland. The only only thing I’ll miss about my leupold vx6hds are the alumina caps.