Nightforce nxs 2.5x10

Broz

WKR
It seems like more of a max magnification difference than meaningful reticle difference. Am I missing something?
The 2.5 x 10's are F2's / SFP, so reticle size appearence stays the same on all powers. I have owned a few of them. Both the early 2.5 x 10's and the newer Compact 2.5 x 10's. The reticle is reduced in size as illustrated by the pics. It is reduced in size and centered in the field of view by longer posts. It is functional and visible. But when you are use to the full sized reticles of the other NXS and ATACR's , when you look through the 2.5x10 you will see it immediately. Probably wont bother a thing or anyone, but I don't like it. I would rather it was full view as the others are. More personal preference than anything.

Thanks guys, i will say gypsy that i really thought about the swfa 3-9 and still may get one to check out they seem to be really popular . My only worry is the reticle being so fine at the lower power might be a non issue idk .

The following is based on owning SWFA 3-9x MQ, SWFA 6x MQ, and NF 2.5-10x Mil-R:

>Based on the existence of the SWFA 6x w/MQ reticle, can say that 6x and the right reticle are plenty for a capable (emphasis here) shooter on deer-sized game at 700 yards. The NF 2.5-10x and SWFA 3-9x are also more than plenty for magnification to 700+ yards.

>It's intuitive for any of us to think that greater magnification = better for long range hunting. Other variables + game experience will prove otherwise. A better reticle and greater FOV will easily trump the overly-powered scope. Scope power can also screw you up when your brain is on override.

>Many experiences while shooting a SWFA 6x MQ around others dialed at 14X or whatever...They look through the 6x MQ and immediately ask/comment how the 6x MQ causes a faster and better picture, particularly at far targets. I never read this on forums, but how we process a view through a scope is sensory - our brains immediately recognize what works well and works less. Reticles matter, many are a liability.

>The SWFA 3-9 and NF 2.5-10 are a coin flip in terms of durable and reliable hunting scopes. I like both reticles more than anything else I've ever seen. What makes each different from the other is 1) the SWFA is FFP and the NF is SFP, and 2) the SWFA's extra tube length works better for a long-action receiver. Photos on forums of NF 2.5-10s on LAs w/fixed rings often show odd mounting placement, so consider the flexibility of a pic rail on a longer receiver.

>Being the SWFA 3-9 is FFP there is no concern about the reticle appearing too fine.

FWIW, you bought a really smart hunting scope!

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
The 2.5 x 10's are F2's / SFP, so reticle size appearence stays the same on all powers. I have owned a few of them. Both the early 2.5 x 10's and the newer Compact 2.5 x 10's. The reticle is reduced in size as illustrated by the pics. It is reduced in size and centered in the field of view by longer posts. It is functional and visible. But when you are use to the full sized reticles of the other NXS and ATACR's , when you look through the 2.5x10 you will see it immediately. Probably wont bother a thing or anyone, but I don't like it. I would rather it was full view as the others are. More personal preference than anything.

I see what you’re saying. Because I primarily use ffp I was thinking of reduced in size in mils/MOA measurements rather than just appearing smaller (which it has to in a SFP scope). If the 5.5-22 was FFP the reticle would appear basically the same @ 10x as the NXS compact does pending any differences in thickness. The horizontal posts are both at 20 MOA. The NXS compact actually has 10 MOA more elevation before the vertical post.

Broz

WKR
I see what you’re saying. Because I primarily use ffp I was thinking of reduced in size in mils/MOA measurements rather than just appearing smaller (which it has to in a SFP scope). If the 5.5-22 was FFP the reticle would appear basically the same @ 10x as the NXS compact does pending any differences in thickness. The horizontal posts are both at 20 MOA. The NXS compact actually has 10 MOA more elevation before the vertical post.

ummm not sure about all that. I will talk only about the SFP's to not confuse the point. The 3.5 x 15 NXS reticle looks the same as the 5.5 x 22 NXS reticle and the ATACR 5x25. Its only the 2.5 x 10 that has the reduced reticle size in appearance when you sight through the scopes. If you ever look through one of each you will see what I am talking about. I don't know how to explain it any better. If you look at the images I shared, that's exactly how each looks. And the reticle look the same on any magnification. Pretend you are looking at a solid color sky. Forget field of view, target magnification or any of that. It's the appearence of the reticle I am talking about. As shown in the images. Hope this helps.

tdhanses

WKR
With the NX8 2.5-20 out what would be the pro of the NXS 2.5-10 over it? As far as price the difference isn’t huge.

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone have time behind this scope and a bushnell lrts.

Iv got a few rifles that will need scopes over the spring/early summer and am debating between the compact nxs, lrts, Nx8 or another f1 SHV.

Iv already got an SHV and a SWFA 3-9. Both great scopes, but I do miss some of the features when using the swfa, and the shv f1 has a bit tight of an eye box and is approaching too big of an optic for how I hunt.

Lawnboi

WKR
With the NX8 2.5-20 out what would be the pro of the NXS 2.5-10 over it? As far as price the difference isn’t huge.

I know this is the long range forum but the fov at 2.5x paired with the sfp reticle sounds pretty nice for close in shots. At least that’s part of my draw to it.

tdhanses

WKR
I know this is the long range forum but the fov at 2.5x paired with the sfp reticle sounds pretty nice for close in shots. At least that’s part of my draw to it.
I haven’t had that issue with my current ffp 2.5-15 athlons, yeah you can’t see the marks on the reticle but it looks pretty much like a standard duplex reticle at the lowest zoom which is fine for close shots.

ummm not sure about all that. I will talk only about the SFP's to not confuse the point. The 3.5 x 15 NXS reticle looks the same as the 5.5 x 22 NXS reticle and the ATACR 5x25. Its only the 2.5 x 10 that has the reduced reticle size in appearance when you sight through the scopes. If you ever look through one of each you will see what I am talking about. I don't know how to explain it any better. If you look at the images I shared, that's exactly how each looks. And the reticle look the same on any magnification. Pretend you are looking at a solid color sky. Forget field of view, target magnification or any of that. It's the appearence of the reticle I am talking about. As shown in the images. Hope this helps.

It is basically the same reticle but one is scaled to be accurate at 10x and the other 22x as it must be for the magnification of each scope.

Lawnboi

WKR
I haven’t had that issue with my current ffp 2.5-15 athlons, yeah you can’t see the marks on the reticle but it looks pretty much like a standard duplex reticle at the lowest zoom which is fine for close shots.

I’m in the same boat on my shv and swfa, but my athlon I can’t see using at its lowest mag in low light. When I fondled the nx8 I also thought I’d potentially have the same problem. Not a huge deal, but in darker timber, or sitting in a treestand back home I can see the plus to the sfp reticle. On top of that I don’t really feel the need for ffp on a 10x max optic. Anything over and I think I’d like to stick to ffp as those scopes live at 6-10x in the field for the most part. Add in that the nxs is only 20oz and compact and it gets appealing quick over the bigger NF scopes.

It is basically the same reticle but one is scaled to be accurate at 10x and the other 22x as it must be for the magnification of each scope.
It's the same thing as a fixed mil scope at 6x versus the same make at 10x. The scale of the reticle and measurement lines and spacing increase as mag increases.

tdhanses

WKR
I’m in the same boat on my shv and swfa, but my athlon I can’t see using at its lowest mag in low light. When I fondled the nx8 I also thought I’d potentially have the same problem. Not a huge deal, but in darker timber, or sitting in a treestand back home I can see the plus to the sfp reticle. On top of that I don’t really feel the need for ffp on a 10x max optic. Anything over and I think I’d like to stick to ffp as those scopes live at 6-10x in the field for the most part. Add in that the nxs is only 20oz and compact and it gets appealing quick over the bigger NF scopes.

Yeah that 8oz diff can make a diff, didn’t realize the NXS was that much lighter but I think I’d still like the 2.5-20 option.

The compact has a few benefits over the nx8.
- weight
- mounting flexibility - that short front tube and bigger objective on the nx8 really limit adjustment front to back and almost guarantee you’ll have to mount it higher and get a higher cheek riser to be ideal.
- The exit pupil is significantly larger which should make it easier to get behind
- huge zoom ratios can make things a bit more finicky, especially parallax. I’ve heard this is the case with the nx8 and it was damn sure the case with the March 3-24x52 I owned.

Anyone have time behind this scope and a bushnell lrts.

Iv got a few rifles that will need scopes over the spring/early summer and am debating between the compact nxs, lrts, Nx8 or another f1 SHV.

Iv already got an SHV and a SWFA 3-9. Both great scopes, but I do miss some of the features when using the swfa, and the shv f1 has a bit tight of an eye box and is approaching too big of an optic for how I hunt.

I have the NXS compact, swfa 3-9, a few 18x LRHS’s, and a 12x LRTS was supposed to be here on Thursday..

I like my bushys every bit as much, they just weigh more.

Lawnboi

WKR
The compact has a few benefits over the nx8.
- weight
- mounting flexibility - that short front tube and bigger objective on the nx8 really limit adjustment front to back and almost guarantee you’ll have to mount it higher and get a higher cheek riser to be ideal.
- The exit pupil is significantly larger which should make it easier to get behind
- huge zoom ratios can make things a bit more finicky, especially parallax. I’ve heard this is the case with the nx8 and it was damn sure the case with the March 3-24x52 I owned.

This is exactly what is drawing me to the nxs
I have the NXS compact, swfa 3-9, a few 18x LRHS’s, and a 12x LRTS was supposed to be here on Thursday..

I like my bushys every bit as much, they just weigh more.

I may pick your brain in a few months when my rifle hopefully gets back from Hells canyon armory if you don’t mind.

What scope caps do you have on there and what’s your opinion of them? Just ordered some from aadland. The only only thing I’ll miss about my leupold vx6hds are the alumina caps.

They are just butler creek flip caps that the previous owner had on there. They haven’t broken yet and they actually stay open or closed unlike the alumina ones I’ve had before. If starting from scratch I’d probably get vortex defenders, aadland, or tenebraex.

tdot

WKR
Since I've never held or looked through one but have one on back order i thought i would get your guys thoughts . See if im making the right move i have a new custom rifle finished soon and wanted this rifle to finish at a nice carry weight for whitetail or mulie pack in trips i ordered a nxs 2.5x10 . My only worry is if i will miss the higher end mag. Its a long throuted 7 saum shots maybe out to 700 ish. I love my x5 scopes but they are larger than i wanted on this one

If you are still concerned about 10x being enough on the high end. A 700 yard shot at 10x is the equivalent to a 70 yard shot at 1x. If you are comfortable with that, then the 10x wont be an issue.

Since I've never held or looked through one but have one on back order i thought i would get your guys thoughts . See if im making the right move i have a new custom rifle finished soon and wanted this rifle to finish at a nice carry weight for whitetail or mulie pack in trips i ordered a nxs 2.5x10 . My only worry is if i will miss the higher end mag. Its a long throuted 7 saum shots maybe out to 700 ish. I love my x5 scopes but they are larger than i wanted on this one

I wrote a bunch of crap and realized none of it addressed ur real question.

10x is plenty.

HuntnPack

WKR
My only complaint would be the reduced size reticle that comes in the 2.5 x 10" but they are a very tough scope, dial, track and hold zero like NO other and a great size for your needs. 10 X to 700 and ever 1K is fine.
As Broz stated, sounds like a Great option, & you will need to decide if the reticle size is an issue.
I just picked up a NF 2.5x10 for my
Seekins Element that I should have in a couple weeks. Kinda the same plan as you.
I’ve owned a couple NF scopes, had great performance with em. They are quality optics.
I think 10 power is fine in this application.
I used my others in that 10x range often.
Good luck with your set up.

Last edited: