Nightforce NXS vs Zeiss V6

Geewhiz

WKR
Ladies and gentlemen I am here for your opinions.

I have a 338 RUM that I am looking to put a scope on. I am torn between a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 and a Zeiss V6 5-30x50. I am not rich and keep thinking that this is an absurd amount of money to spend on a scope, but I guess ill just make more money tomorrow.

I have never looked through either and don't have access to either to fondle and caress.

They both have excellent tracking records.
They both have zerostop.
They both (im told) have great glass.
Both SFP.
Same price range.

Nightforce is 3 oz heavier and just seams bulkier with the big azz turrets, whereas the Zeiss is a little lighter and more streamline.
Nightforce has 100 moa usable elevation while the Zeiss has 62 minutes although I doubt I would ever use over 62 minutes.
Zeiss has 4.5 ft more FOV @ 100yds (17.5 vs 22) which I have head people gripe about NF for that.
NF has that tough as nails reputation. Not sure about Ziess along those lines.

I thought I had my mind made up on the NF but the more I read about the Zeiss the more I like it.

Thoughts? Preferences? Other aspects I should consider?

Cyril

FNG
I haven't looked through the night force but I have a V4 and V6 Zeiss and love them both.

I use the NXS 2.5-10 mostly and my brother has a V6 3-18 and neither of us has ever had any trouble. They are both great scopes in my experience.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Good to hear. I think I’m still leaning towards the NF but keep it coming. Like was said, I’m lead to believe I can’t really go wrong with either.

choovhntr

WKR
They are both good. The nightforce has better turret feel in my opinion and an easier to set zero stop. It definitely feels beefier and gives you a more confident feeling that it won’t fail. I’m not a fan of the whole eyepiece rotating during magnification changes on the nxs. The zeiss is brighter and a little clearer to my eyes. I have the MOAR-t reticle on mine and I love it for longer ranges, but can be hard to see for quick shots and low light if the illumination is off. The zeiss reticle is ok, but I’d give the edge to the MOAR or MOAR-t reticle. I’m actually going to sell my nxs for probably the v6, but go with the 3-18 instead of the 5-30 because I want the lower magnification range and weighs 6 oz less than the 5-30 and 8 oz less than the nxs. It’ll be more practical for the rifle it’s going on. I’m just waiting for them to hopefully make the updates to the v6 line that they did to the v4. I also have an nx8 4-32 and love the thing.

WKR
I have had both and I prefer the V6 over the nxs. They both tracked just fine but the glass is much better in the V6. I have two V6 but sold the NXS. If you want a lightweight NF, look at the NX8 line. I would take an NX8 over a NXS everyday. Eurooptics has demo ones starting at 1600.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I’m not overly concerned about weight as this will be around a 12 pound rifle when all said and done. I have light rifles. Obviously I don’t want to go too crazy though.

If I could find a good enough deal on a nx8 that would be high on my list as well but they seam to be a little higher priced and at this point I think I’m drawing the line before I get to that price point.

I do appreciate all the feedback.

I have both, Used the NXS for years on a Rbros 7RM and loved it. I ordered a new Apex Hunter Carbon rifle and was going to swap the NXS over until someone talked me into looking at the V6 3-18. Now I am looking at the weight as a factor because this is a sub 9.5# rifle and the Zeiss is lighter, but the glass is way superior. I won't knock NF, they are great, but for me the V6 beats the NXS.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Glass will be very comparable, out of those I’d go nightforce all the way and I love Zeiss scopes. The V6 fov sucks, think hd5, it tunnels bad. I actually like the v4 better, it has a much better apparent fov, it also has more adj range and better rets.

Don’t get me wrong, the v6 is a good scope, great glass, but hurt by an awful apparent fov for a scope of this price, then add average adj range and very average rets. I’d go v4 over the v6 or skip to the v8, otherwise I’d go nightforce. Just my opinion, good luck.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Glass will be very comparable, out of those I’d go nightforce all the way and I love Zeiss scopes. The V6 fov sucks, think hd5, it tunnels bad. I actually like the v4 better, it has a much better apparent fov, it also has more adj range and better rets.

Don’t get me wrong, the v6 is a good scope, great glass, but hurt by an awful apparent fov for a scope of this price, then add average adj range and very average rets. I’d go v4 over the v6 or skip to the v8, otherwise I’d go nightforce. Just my opinion, good luck.

From what I have seen the Zeiss has a better fov ( 22 ft @ 100) than NF ( 17.5 ft @ 100).

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
As to fov apparent is all that really matters, what they are at the same power basically, the circle of light you see regardless of what power it’s on. The Zeiss is giving 5x specs compared to the NF on 5.5, they need to be on the same power unless you can find the apparent fov. Their both really close on fov and glass though imo.

For me the NF offered more at that price point including better/quicker resale in my experience, if I ever decided to trade or sale. The v4 offers more still, for me anyway, especially at its price point when compared to the v6. It’s bigger apparent fov, just as durable, more adj, and better rets. The slightly better glass of the v6 is offset by the larger fov in the v4 imo.

Again these are both great scopes though. Here’s a good review on most top end scopes.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
As to fov apparent is all that really matters, what they are at the same power basically, the circle of light you see regardless of what power it’s on. The Zeiss is giving 5x specs compared to the NF on 5.5, they need to be on the same power unless you can find the apparent fov. Their both really close on fov and glass though imo.

For me the NF offered more at that price point including better/quicker resale in my experience, if I ever decided to trade or sale. The v4 offers more still, for me anyway, especially at its price point when compared to the v6. It’s bigger apparent fov, just as durable, more adj, and better rets. The slightly better glass of the v6 is offset by the larger fov in the v4 imo.

Again these are both great scopes though. Here’s a good review on most top end scopes.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Makes sense.

5RWill

FNG
So I'm going to chime in here. I liked our V6 or have liked it for the most part it's been with us for a couple of years now. I'm switching the family to Mils and am in the middle of doing clone stuff so I happen to have two NXS 3.5-15x50s on hand. One is SFP which I put on Dad's 6.5 SAUM. Took them both out today about 20min past official sunset and stayed nearly an hour after looking at what I could see of my 800yd IPSC behind the shop.

Color me shocked, I've owned an ATACR before which was a wonderful optic, never really had any NXS and have not been an avid NF fan for a number of years (until recently), but have had some extremely nice optics. Having now owned Kahles (k624i, k318i, k525i) NF, Leupold MK6, MK5, and still have my Minox ZP5 and AMG. So I was truthfully expecting the V6, which is a far newer design, with better coatings, etc. to kind of out class it across the board. It did not. I didn't bring my F1 home so this is a sample size of 1 on both sides, but the NF lasted longer at sunset at the same magnification and the real kicker for me was just resolved better across the board. V6 had the edge to edge clarity, but that's really about it. I mean this is a first impression but if this particular NXS is representative I'd choose the NXS if weight wasn't an issue.

Last edited: