Nightforce or Swaro

Hey guys, I currently have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 with the MOAR reticle on top of my GA Precisions 7mm wsm. I am thinking of selling the scope and picking up a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 with the Ballistic Turret and Windage reticle. While I love the Nightforce, the entire rig is pretty heavy and I use it as my primary hunting rifle. By swapping Id save about a pound - just on the fence with keeping as is or making the switch.

Whats your 2 cents

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Have you seen problems with the swaro’s tracking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I only trust the X5(which is my favorite scope for Hunting) if dialing is your game. If you dial the Z5 a bunch you will start to see a return to zero issues. It doesn't happen every time but with enough use, it will happen.

Last edited:

ericF

WKR
Around 30 oz for the non illuminated X5 which is being clearanced out for the illuminated only version. I think the 3-18 goes down to 28.6 oz.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Around 30 oz for the non illuminated X5 which is being clearanced out for the illuminated only version. I think the 3-18 goes down to 28.6 oz.

My Non illuminated X5 3.5-18 is 27 oz on my scale.

ericF

WKR
My non illuminated 3.5-18 is sitting in the basement waiting for a future 6.5 PRC so I ran down after seeing Ryan's weight on his to check mine. Looks like mine is on the heavier side at 28.5 oz and 30.5 oz with the included bikini cover. Never got a chance to weigh my 5-25 before putting it on a rifle.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
My non illuminated 3.5-18 is sitting in the basement waiting for a future 6.5 PRC so I ran down after seeing Ryan's weight on his to check mine. Looks like mine is on the heavier side at 28.5 oz and 30.5 oz with the included bikini cover. Never got a chance to weigh my 5-25 before putting it on a rifle.

Interesting, I weighed one I put on a friends rifle and it was 28.5 as well. Maybe they forgot something on mine. Haha

cmahoney

WKR
Yes. I only trust the X5(which is my favorite scope for Hunting) if dialing is your game. If you dial the others a bunch you will start to see a return to zero issues. It doesn't happen every time but with enough use, it will happen.

Have you used an SHV?

Yes. I only trust the X5(which is my favorite scope for Hunting) if dialing is your game. If you dial the others a bunch you will start to see a return to zero issues. It doesn't happen every time but with enough use, it will happen.
ryan, I'm curious as I have not seen this issue (yet) but, I am open to experience. I have toyed with the idea of x5 purchase but, these light z5's haven't let me down sofar. I'm running these on 4 rifles and I don't want to lose confidence.... how much dialing does it take to see this result?

Jardo

WKR
My z5 would not return to zero and I think it uses the same erector as the z3. I sent it to the factory, they looked it over and sent it back with a clean bill of health. Remounted , sighted it in and went hunting a few days later. It was shooting 8 inches high. Swarovski ballistic turrets on the z series are garbage.

This is for my cooper backcountry so I didn’t want to put a heavy knightforce on it. I’m now running a zeiss V6 and so far it’s going well. Hopefully it doesn’t take a shit on me or I’m going to have to go holdover reticle.

Stay away from the z3 and z5 ballistic turrets. They are junk. X series are a different animal, so I’ve heard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
on the X5 we have 1 X5 3.5-18x50 - BRM #79011 left, reduced from $2,599.99 to only $1,799.99
  • BRM Modified Duplex Reticle, SFP
  • 30mm One-Piece Main-Tube
  • 1/4 MOA / Click Impact Point Correction
  • 67 Windage/116 Elevation MOA Adjustment
  • Nitrogen-Filled. Fogproof & Submersible
  • Matte-Black Anodized Aluminum Housing
  • Side Parallax Correction Turret
  • SWAROCLEAN, SWAROTOP & SWARODUR Coatings
  • SUBZERO Allows for Close-Range Shots
Magnification3.5 to 18x
Objective Lens Diameter50 mm
Field of View3.5x: 30' @ 100 yd / 10 m @ 100 m
18x: 6.3' @ 100 yd / 2.1 m @ 100 m
Exit Pupil Diameter3.5x: 9.5 mm
18x: 2.8 mm
Eye Relief3.7" / 95 mm
Reticle TypeBRM Modified Duplex Crosshair Reticle (Second Focal Plane)
IlluminationNon-Illuminated
Impact Point Correction1/4 MOA per Click
Windage Adjustment67 MOA
Elevation Adjustment116 MOA
Maintube Diameter30 mm
BatteryNo
DimensionsLength: 14.4" / 36.5 cm
Weight28.6 oz / 810.8 g

My z5 would not return to zero and I think it uses the same erector as the z3. I sent it to the factory, they looked it over and sent it back with a clean bill of health. Remounted , sighted it in and went hunting a few days later. It was shooting 8 inches high. Swarovski ballistic turrets on the z series are garbage.

This is for my cooper backcountry so I didn’t want to put a heavy knightforce on it. I’m now running a zeiss V6 and so far it’s going well. Hopefully it doesn’t take a shit on me or I’m going to have to go holdover reticle.

Stay away from the z3 and z5 ballistic turrets. They are junk. X series are a different animal, so I’ve heard.

Man, I am throwing the bullshit flag!!
You guys had me all out of sorts trashing the Z5's... I have 4 of these and I have never had a problem after something well above 2000 rounds of dialing ( I have one on a varmint/truck rig that is shot/dialed daily). I called the company.... The Z5 has a four coil erector similar to the X5. I quote "Anything is possible but, outside of a mechanical defect or extreme abuse it would be next to impossible for the erector failing to engage on the Z5. We literally torture test these things in development, the Z5 was developed for sheep hunting and with that in mind, designed to withstand the worst bumps and bruises while maintaining precise function, hence the overbuilt erector system"
The Z3 has a leaf spring erector that most cheaper scopes are plagued with. Great for sighting in and leaving but, not so consistent for dialing.
Maybe you had a bad one?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am not here to bullshit anyone. Talk shit yes! Bullshit no. I am a Swaro slut, I love their optics. If they are working for you great. But don't discount what others have to say.

No customer service rep is going to say yes we have a problem with our product.

But on two different Z5s, I had issues with holding zero. It would be shooting great then an impact is high and so is the next one, recheck zero and I'm 3/4 MOA high.

The X5 does not have same erector system as the Z Series, it has its own patented spring retention system, not the four spring system. I have shot the Z8 a fair amount with no issues but it does have the same coil system as the Z5. I have shot the Z3 but never tried dialing for targets. But have set a few up for friends and they didn't have the greatest luck with using them as a dialing scope. But like you said they are not meant to be a dial to target scope.

Here is some info, but watch out the first author is a bullshitter:)

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo
Thanks, Ryan!
Well, we are both swaro sluts. I just didn't want the OP's decision tainted by a disregard of the facts and an anecdotal opinion. I have shot them all too (a lot) with no bad experiences!
This Z5 negativity, has me even second guessing my setups even though I do (did) feel extremely confident. Confidence in your setup is king! The OP was asking for opinions about saving weight with the Z5-- over a 30 mm NF. At the end of the day, Z5 is as you said "world's apart from a NXS or a X5 but, is a great option for being able to dial and save weight. To call them junk and equate to a Z3 (which is a pretty good optic) is not a fair assessment, if not irresponsible,, based on a one-off experience. But, HEY! This is the internet! Thanks for sharing your experience and the info! X5 is too heavy for me but, the Z8 2x16 has my attention!

Wrench

WKR
All can say is if you have to send a scope in for swaro service, be sure to get a tattoo somewhere you can see it. You'll forget you sent it in long before it returns.

prm

WKR
Along the same lines, can anyone describe the Nightfirce erector system, and is it the same for the SHV as the NSX?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Along the same lines, can anyone describe the Nightfirce erector system, and is it the same for the SHV as the NSX?

I have looked before, it seems they keep that a secret or I am looking in the wrong places.

Jardo

WKR
Man, I am throwing the bullshit flag!!
You guys had me all out of sorts trashing the Z5's... I have 4 of these and I have never had a problem after something well above 2000 rounds of dialing ( I have one on a varmint/truck rig that is shot/dialed daily). I called the company.... The Z5 has a four coil erector similar to the X5. I quote "Anything is possible but, outside of a mechanical defect or extreme abuse it would be next to impossible for the erector failing to engage on the Z5. We literally torture test these things in development, the Z5 was developed for sheep hunting and with that in mind, designed to withstand the worst bumps and bruises while maintaining precise function, hence the overbuilt erector system"
The Z3 has a leaf spring erector that most cheaper scopes are plagued with. Great for sighting in and leaving but, not so consistent for dialing.
Maybe you had a bad one?

This is my experience and it’s the truth... I am not the only one who has had issues with a Z5. Glad you like yours. Hopefully it continues to do what you want. Mine was a POS.