Nightforce questions

diehlnic

FNG
I'm building a 223 for a prairie dog hunt. I'm sure I'll shoot it around the house (600ish max) and take care of some vermin but no competitions or anything. I'm stuck between a SHV F1 and an NX8 F1. Either way I want to go MOA. My questions are is the NX8 worth double the money or should I get the SHV for my intended applications? I've never shot with a NF so I figured I'd get opinions from those who have. Thanks!!

I haven’t ever used an SHV optic from NF, but I have used the NXS and the NX8 line extensively.

My NX8 is a 1-8x24 on my 14.5” AR and I have shot prairie dogs, deer, rock chucks, rabbits and coyotes with it, no problem. I really like the quadrant reticle they use, I have the zero stop set and I can dial or holdover with no issues. Having a lighted reticle is nice as well, for those close and faster shots.

I have an NXS 2.3-10x32 with a velocity 600 reticle on my 16” AR. I really dig that reticle, too bad they don’t make it anymore.

Of the two scopes you listed, I would go NX8 without hesitation.

Lawnboi

WKR
You will appreciate the magnification and finer reticle (mil c would be my preference) of the nx8.

Specifically if you want to push it on prairie dogs farther out.

The SHV is a good scope as well but for shooting vermin, at 300 plus, I want more magnification and a more intuitive reticle.

I have had the opportunity to compare the SHV with the NX8 and NXS. The glass quality in the SHV to me seemed about on par with the vortex middle of the road offerings like the Diamondback. I ended up with the NX8 on one rifle and NXS on the other.