Nightforce Reticle: MOAR vs MIL-R

atmat

WKR
Mounting an NXS 2.5-10x42 on my 6mm creed Barrett Fieldcraft and want folks opinion on these two reticles.

I’m definitely more familiar with MOA than I am with Mil. That said, I think I like the center portion of the MIL-R reticle more and I’m open to adjusting/learning, since it seems that the overall market is moving more towards Mil.

The flip side is I don’t like the inverted T on the Mil-R. I honestly can’t imagine I’d use it much, and it feels like it’s just eating up real estate.

I’m almost exclusively a hunter who only rings steel to practice for the season.

I’m more likely to dial elevation than use the holdovers. Will use holdovers for windage though.

BjornF16

WKR
I started out MOA, dabbled in mil a bit, then finally jumped fully into Mils this year.

I didn’t think I’d ever use the inverted T, but find I do when at the 100 yard range for zeroing. In the field, I don’t even notice it.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
The range is about the only place I’d use that inverted T. Sounds like your vote is MIL-R?

Marble

WKR
I have the MOAR, but in 5.5-15.

I do not shoot a lot, just enough to confirm dope and then hunting. For my style hunting, I want something not than 10x.

Whatever is the most simple way for you to dial is the method I would choose. The less moving parts when hunting the better.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I have the MOAR, but in 5.5-15.

I do not shoot a lot, just enough to confirm dope and then hunting. For my style hunting, I want something not than 10x.

Whatever is the most simple way for you to dial is the method I would choose. The less moving parts when hunting the better.

Thanks! Do you find yourself using elevation holdovers or just dialing?

In the field I personally dial if I need to shoot over 250 ish yards. However I will often practice shooting steel in the mountains and switch between hold overs and dialing to able to feel comfortable doing both. I vote Mil-R. On that same steel, I’ll hold dead on in wind, spot my impact off the plate, then measure with the reticle, correct for windage and fire another to hit it. Practicing this way will teach you both how to measure with the mil reticle and also where your bullet will go in any given wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: wyo
MOAR dude here. Grew up using MiL, but I can conceptually understand MOA better. I am a dial and fire kinda guy, I’ll hold over when I have to.

For pure hunting I prefer the MOAR reticle if talking about the Compact. I have 2 of them on my hunting rifles and for me anyway that reticle is a bit easier to see in lower light or timber. My favorite though is the mil-dot which is no longer available in the Compact.

Marble

WKR
Thanks! Do you find yourself using elevation holdovers or just dialing?
I always dial. I would actually prefer a very simple heavy duplex reticle like the leopold but it is what it is.

I have my gun zeroed at 200 and I know the info for 300 and 400, after that I would refer to the chart.

My opinion with stuff like this is the simpler you can make whatever system you use, the more success you will have. When you get into the moment and have an animal at a distance needing dialing, there is a lot that goes into it.

People normally shoot out of excitement, but accuracy.

TheViking

WKR
I grew up shooting deer at 100 yards with a duplex, holdovers and dialing didn't exist. Now that I am a western hunter, I use MOA, it just makes more sense in my head. I also just dial and shoot. Only time I ever use a hold is for windage. Honestly, I would be super content with a Leupold duplex and just dial it in for every shot, but @sndmn11 shames me for using Leupolds :) Definitely a fan on Nightforce optics, you pay a little weight penalty, but it is also bomb proof, so the piece of mind is nice if you ever drop your rifle in the field.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I always dial. I would actually prefer a very simple heavy duplex reticle like the leopold but it is what it is.
I’m in agreement with this statement. I really wish these scopes came only with windage holdovers (mil or moa) and not elevation holdovers.

I do like the MOAR reticle more. I guess my question is: if I’m not doing any sizing/ranging with the reticle, and I’m not spotting my shots for immediate correction at the range, as I giving up anything by going MOAR over MIL-R?

sndmn11

WKR
I’m in agreement with this statement. I really wish these scopes came only with windage holdovers (mil or moa) and not elevation holdovers.

I do like the MOAR reticle more. I guess my question is: if I’m not doing any sizing/ranging with the reticle, and I’m not spotting my shots for immediate correction at the range, as I giving up anything by going MOAR over MIL-R?

I shot a pronghorn last year that I held over AFTER dialing. He had originally come into view about 450. I had been watching him since July and thought he was going to his regular bedding spot which was about 300yards, so that's what I dialed to.

I believe he saw my spotting scope on the tripod and thought it was another phorn as he walked straight at me and bypassed his special spot. I stayed on him in the scope until he gave me broadside at about 175 yards. I was dialed at 2.2 but needed about .3 from zero, so I held UNDER 2mils. I also was at 7/8x magnification due to being alone and the amount of fog (cue clapping for FFP). For me, it was much easier to manage ranging and aiming, than manage ranging, dialing, and aiming while in an awkward field shooting position.

In my opinion, MIL is significantly easier because learning from scratch accelerates the process, 10 value is easy, and wind holds seem easy. You might also find down the road that some scopes are only available in MIL.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I shot a pronghorn last year that I held over AFTER dialing. He had originally come into view about 450. I had been watching him since July and thought he was going to his regular bedding spot which was about 300yards, so that's what I dialed to.

I believe he saw my spotting scope on the tripod and thought it was another phorn as he walked straight at me and bypassed his special spot. I stayed on him in the scope until he gave me broadside at about 175 yards. I was dialed at 2.2 but needed about .3 from zero, so I held UNDER 2mils. I also was at 7/8x magnification due to being alone and the amount of fog (cue clapping for FFP). For me, it was much easier to manage ranging and aiming, than manage ranging, dialing, and aiming while in an awkward field shooting position.

In my opinion, MIL is significantly easier because learning from scratch accelerates the process, 10 value is easy, and wind holds seem easy. You might also find down the road that some scopes are only available in MIL.
That’s why you zero at 200 and use that zero stop. No but seriously a totally fair example (though the NXS are SFP).

Your last comment, about wind holds and industry tending, are what have me leaning more towards MIL-R.

sndmn11

WKR
That’s why you zero at 200 and use that zero stop. No but seriously a totally fair example (though the NXS are SFP).

Your last comment, about wind holds and industry tending, are what have me leaning more towards MIL-R.

I surely could have ran the turret back to zero.

I was kind of propped up with my bipod extended on top of my pack and my thigh/knee tucked under my body so I could get above the terrain. It took some fiddling to get in that body position and I didn't want to take my support hand away from where it was.

What really helped me was looking at a chart like below and asking myself if I'd rather look at things through my scopes as 3mil or 10.3moa. For me, smaller number mathing makes for easier mathing.

I just put a that same scope on my Fieldcraft 6.5. I went ahead and jumped into the mil reticle. Before I was completely MOA on everything. No complaints on the switch.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I just put a that same scope on my Fieldcraft 6.5. I went ahead and jumped into the mil reticle. Before I was completely MOA on everything. No complaints on the switch.
Any particular reason you opted to switch?

Just to make all my dialing scopes match. I picked up an lrhs2 and a couple Swfa scopes and those only come in mil. Besides most of the long range shooting seems to prefer mils. Figured it was a good time to learn.

When you are dialing your ballistics data is in MOA or mils anyway so it’s not like you are doing any calculations to inches or anything. Really just a preference on reticle. I use the reticle to measure how many mils I need to move to center at 100. Then I true up my velocity at the farthest target I have to shoot at. Makes it pretty simple and straightforward. Probably could switch back and forth but I didn’t want to risk getting my data mixed up while I was learning it.