Nightforce Shv 3-10 or nxs 2.5-10

kipper09

WKR
Looking to put a new scope on my 6.5 fieldcraft. Been looking and reading some on these two scopes. I’m not a big target shooter or long range guy. For pure hunting applications which one of these would you choose. Want to be able to dial to say 6-700. I would like to have a ballistic turret for ease of use for me just hunting. Really Just want something with good solid glass and rugged and reliable. Love to get some input on it from others. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to put a new scope on my 6.5 fieldcraft. Been looking and reading some on these two scopes. I’m not a big target shooter or long range guy. For pure hunting applications which one of these would you choose. Want to be able to dial to say 6-700. I would like to have a ballistic turret for ease of use for me just hunting. Really Just want something with good solid glass and rugged and reliable. Love to get some input on it from others. Thanks

You said you want turrets and to be able to dial. That takes the SHV out. While you can remove the cap and dial the SHV its not the right scope for the job compared to the NXS.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
That was a question I had. Was the capped turrets a pain to deal with? I never hunted with capped turrets, I see quite a few guys here shooting the shv. Figured it would be a good place to get some input

NXS and SHV have the same glass. Depending on what SHV model you get, you will get either parallax or illumination. With NXS you get both. The SHV and NXS, in theory, are both bombproof. The NXS gets rigorously tested before going out the door, the SHV doesn't.

I use the 2.5-10 NXS on two rifles. If you have to choose, I lean heavily illumination > parallax. I have needed and used illumination on two kills this year, but have barely touched parallax. I don't think capped turrets are a deal breaker. You can premeditate taking them off and if things are hitting the fan so fast you don't have time to remove the turret cap, you likely don't have the time to take a shot that long in the first place. The turrets on the NXS are much nicer. Very solid clicks. The SHV turrets not so much, but they are accurate and will return to zero.

If you want to see if you can get by with an SHV, they hold their value well. You could easily sell it and move up to the NXS.

weaver

WKR
Id like to try an nxs but I've been perfectly happy with my 3-10 shv.
Shoot out to 700 with it using both dialing and reticle holdover without any issues.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I went SHV. I wanted caps because the rifle would be riding in a scabbard. For dialing distance, I've had time to remove the cap. I suppose that may not always be the case. I'd like to see Nightforce update some of these scopes with turret elevation and capped windage.

woods89

WKR
NXS and SHV have the same glass. Depending on what SHV model you get, you will get either parallax or illumination. With NXS you get both. The SHV and NXS, in theory, are both bombproof. The NXS gets rigorously tested before going out the door, the SHV doesn't.

I use the 2.5-10 NXS on two rifles. If you have to choose, I lean heavily illumination > parallax. I have needed and used illumination on two kills this year, but have barely touched parallax. I don't think capped turrets are a deal breaker. You can premeditate taking them off and if things are hitting the fan so fast you don't have time to remove the turret cap, you likely don't have the time to take a shot that long in the first place. The turrets on the NXS are much nicer. Very solid clicks. The SHV turrets not so much, but they are accurate and will return to zero.

If you want to see if you can get by with an SHV, they hold their value well. You could easily sell it and move up to the NXS.
I bought an SHV from this guy! lol

I love it. But it was my first scope that cost over $300 or so. I will say, it is awesome to have a scope that tracks and holds zero precisely...........

fatbacks

WKR
I have both and I much prefer the NXS. Someone mentioned earlier that they have the same glass but my NXS seems to have way better optics - maybe it is my mind plying tricks on me because it’s more expensive. Dunno.

Turrets on the NXS are phenomenal and I’ve never had one move on me while hunting. I’ve tried playing with the turret on the SHV by removing the cap but it is not something if want to mess with while in a hinting situation.

Id like to try an nxs but I've been perfectly happy with my 3-10 shv.
Shoot out to 700 with it using both dialing and reticle holdover without any issues.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Do you have the illuminated version? Or the adjustable parallax