Nightforce shv 3-10 vs Vortex Viper PST gen 2 2-10 or 3-15

Did you look through them mounted on a rifle, or holding it up like pirate?

Mounted on a mock rifle, with all other SHVs present, and measuring the eye relief for comparison.

Zooming out to take a shot at game is probably the best help in finding animals and spotting shots.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, and typically take shots zoomed way out. But if you can't get perfectly behind a rifle in a split second, under recoil and in an awkward field position, it's doesn't matter what magnification you're at. A forgiving eye box solves that problem in my experience.

We can agree to disagree that a forgiving eye box is preferable, but I've shot a number of animals while hunting solo, and I can tell you I wouldn't personally pick the SHV F1 for that very reason. Not in a heavily recoiling rifle anyhow. Everyone has different uses, and different preferences. But the original statement you made about not understanding why someone would go with the 56mm over the 42mm or 50mm F1, that's why I would. In addition to preferring a SFP reticle, which the F1 doesn't provide obviously. If it's an all around rifle that may get used in the tight timber, I'll take the thicker crosshairs of a SFP scope over the F1.