Nightforce SHV 4-14

DanTesta

FNG
I am getting into rifle hunting this year as I just purchased a CA Ridgeline 300 WM after shotgun hunting my whole life.

I am looking at the NF SHV 4-14 F1 as I like the first focal plan and the price range of the SHV is where I want to be. My question to anyone that can help is would the 14x be enough magnification for shooting out to 700 yards? It seems from all the searching I have done is most people say they have higher magnification but is everyone really using the higher magnification when they are hunting?

OP
D

DanTesta

FNG
I appreciate the responses. Anything in particular that you don’t like about the SHV and do you have a reco on another scope in the same price range?

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
Zeiss V4 is hard to beat for the price tag, but they are SFP. I have a few Nightforce and one of the SHV F1s. I’d take the V4 over the F1. The V4 has a great zero stop, nice turret, good glass, and weighs less than the NF for a hunting rig.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my shooting at 1K is between 8-12X tops. Really around 8-10X at that range. Under that range I'm usually around 4-8X power tops. I only use higher power if spotting for someone from my rifle. Even at 2K ranges I'm no more than about 15X.

If you go higher power you have a hard time spotting your shot due to recoil. Mirage also becomes a big issue and I also find the narrow FoV makes it harder to read wind because a lot of wind cues in the view get cut out.

On my hunting rifles I just use SFP scopes and honestly don't miss it over the FFP I use on my comp rifles. FFP scopes the reticle size changes as you switch powers and at lower power (where most all hunters actually will use), the reticle is very tiny and hard to see. Most of my big game hunting shots the scope has been in the 4-6X range almost exclusively. For shots inside 500 yards I see virtually no benefit to a FFP scope and SFP has advantages as it is simpler and the reticle will be easier to see regardless of what power you're on.

Basically, don't optimize for 700 yard shooting for hunting, instead optimize for your typical shot which will likely be under 300 yards and perhaps in dark/dim conditions. You need to be able to see the reticle and have a simple scope that has few adjustments so you don't make a mistake by forgetting to set something on it.

If you are open to SFP scopes and want a NF, the SHV 3-10x42 is a good compact package at a reasonable weight. They are tough as nails and the dials are accurate and repeatable if you do want to practice and take longer shots.

Last edited:

RMSeezer

FNG
Fantastic advice Southern Lights. I also believe 15x or less is just fine for a hunting scope and can serve dual purpose out to 1K yards for tactical shooting. I have 3 VX-5HD scopes and ring steel all day long at 1K yards. I also have 25X max power scopes and mirage is a real issue - too much power can be a hindrance in the wrong conditions.