Nightforce SHV vs NXS

Trying to finalize my decision between the NXS 2.5-10x and the SHV 3-10. I can get the NXS for around $500 more than the SHV. Does anyone have experience with both of them and could make any recommendations one way or another?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I've had a few NXS and a SHV. If money isn't a huge concern, go with the NXS. NXS has better glass, zero stop turrets, more durable, and comes in a few ounces lighter. If money is tight or you never dial, SHV is a great scope, especially for the price range.

WKR
I switched to all mils and went with a 2.5-10 NXS. I like it a lot. Probably can't go far wrong with either but I've got a few NXS now and like using them all.

Ram94

WKR
The big glaring difference between the two is the capped turrets and no zero stop on the SHV. From what I understand they use the same tube and glass. The NXS is a better scope, if money isn’t an issue. The SHV has a very good reputation for tracking though. They’re within an ounce of each other.

It seems NONE of us can agree on a Perfect scope. I cannot afford an NXS at the moment. Maybe never will. But it's on my super short list of Be All, End All....any critter....any Continent optic. Pondered the same thing....would an SHV do 90% of what I want for 60% less in price?

I come up with Mandatory things I need. And I would really REALLY love parallax. The NXS has it. But for $800 more? Man...I dunno

Ram94

WKR
It seems NONE of us can agree on a Perfect scope. I cannot afford an NXS at the moment. Maybe never will. But it's on my super short list of Be All, End All....any critter....any Continent optic. Pondered the same thing....would an SHV do 90% of what I want for 60% less in price?

I come up with Mandatory things I need. And I would really REALLY love parallax. The NXS has it. But for $800 more? Man...I dunno

Hey JJ, the SHV 3-10 has adjustable parallax as well. Im in the same boat of not being able to drop that kind of dough on an nxs. Would love to, but for what I can afford the SHV does check a lot of boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
If money is even remotely a concern, just get the SHV. The are very similar, glass is either the same of very close (I cant tell the difference atleast). Sometimes I prefer the capped turrets and sometimes I prefer the zero stop.

Atleast that was the opinion I formed after playing with the SHV 3-10 for awhile and owning the NXS at the same time.

OP
S
Hey JJ, the SHV 3-10 has adjustable parallax as well. Im in the same boat of not being able to drop that kind of dough on an nxs. Would love to, but for what I can afford the SHV does check a lot of boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all SHV models have parallax anymore, all the new illuminated models do not. You can still find the old models that do though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The SHV are great scopes, there is a MOAR non illuminated on the classifieds here, they don’t make that scope anymore and somebody should snag it up.

mom going with the NXS because I want to dial and I want a MIL scope. I still have a few SHVs but I pretty much consider those to be very nice set and forget scopes.

LaHunter

WKR
I've had a few NXS and a SHV. If money isn't a huge concern, go with the NXS. NXS has better glass, zero stop turrets, more durable, and comes in a few ounces lighter. If money is tight or you never dial, SHV is a great scope, especially for the price range.
I actually spoke to the NF CS and was told that the SHV glass and the NXS glass are the same.

Ram94

WKR
And also, the SHV is a better dial scope than most all other hunting scopes with a very good track record so I would disagree with the idea of using it as a “set and forget” scope. Lots of better options for that. It dials very well and has the capped turrets which on a hunting platform is a plus.

Spoonman

WKR

SHV and NXS use the same exact glass! All the other upgrades for the NXS have already been mentioned above.

Remy

FNG
How good is the color definition? How much better than a VX3i or others?

Looking for something better to pick deer out at 300yrds in brown leaves and shade.