Nightforce SHV vs NXS

LaHunter

WKR
How good is the color definition? How much better than a VX3i or others?

Looking for something better to pick deer out at 300yrds in brown leaves and shade.
The 'color definition' is more than adequate for the purpose of a rifle scope. The resolution is good also. Not sure how the SHV compares to the VX3i, I've never looked through one. The sight picture better than a regular VX3, however.
I would recommend a good set of binos for the application you listed above for picking out game. A rifle scope is not intended for that purpose.

prm

WKR
Older thread but I'm considering the same two alternatives. Anyone newly compared these two?

wapitibob

WKR
I have an nxs 5.5 x 22 x 56 and my next scope will be an Arken for less than $500.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I had the NXS 2.5-10x42 with capped turrets and MOAR reticle and now have the SHV. I sold the NXS years back for various reasons which don't make sense now, but now have the SHV.

I think the SHV and NXS are the same in terms of optics. They are both mediocre when compared against my S&B, but they are more than sufficient for hunting. This past week I was using the scope out to 600yds on wallabies no problem.

I use my binoculars for spotting and the scope to take the shot so absolute clarity and perfect color is not really a concern. People get wound up about this stuff. What is more important is will the thing hold zero and dial correctly every time.

The biggest issue with the SHV is that it does not have a zero stop. You must be very sure you know how many turns it is to zero if you go more than one up. There are index lines, but they are small and it's hard to be precise. I under-dialed my scope this week by accident and was 10 MOA low on an easy 300 yard shot and missed. I figured out what happened, but it was annoying. After that I was hyper aware of where I was on the dial and wrote on a piece of tape inside the top cap what turn index number is zero just to be sure.

However for a set and forget scope the SHV is good. It is compact and feels very well built. I trust NF not to go bad on me when going in out of vehicles, on quads, in rain, etc. when hunting. My rifle tipped over and banged the windage knob on a rock when glassing and I didn't worry about it with the NF. I just know it will work and that to me is worth it. Same when the rain came in. I just didn't need to think about it and just focused on looking for animals.

Now is the NXS worth 2X more than the SHV? I don't know about that. If they still had the capped versions I'd have gotten the NXS, but for me the SHV is fine and the price is good for the quality. I feel the scope can take abuse vs. what I was using on my rifles.

Last edited:

Jordan86

FNG
I used the SHV 4-14x50 SHV (MIL-R reticle) for the last year. I like many things about it, great quality scope for the money. It tracks well and works great in low light. My two biggest complaints are the reticle and weight.

The weight is self explanatory, it’s 30 oz. Thats pretty heavy for a 14 power scope. Especially when compared to competitors in the same price/performance category. It’s definitely noticeable on my rifle when I switch it out with my Leupold VX5.

The reticle is great on full power. However when on the lowest power, it’s not ideal for quick shots when at close range. Being a first focal plane scope, this particular reticle is difficult to pick up for quick shots on game. Very small and slow to acquire. Great long range reticle, not a great hunting reticle. I really wish NF would make a better hunting reticle that’s easier to pick up at low power. Plenty of other FFP scopes have such a reticle.

If money is even remotely a concern, just get the SHV. The are very similar, glass is either the same of very close (I cant tell the difference atleast). Sometimes I prefer the capped turrets and sometimes I prefer the zero stop.

Atleast that was the opinion I formed after playing with the SHV 3-10 for awhile and owning the NXS at the same time.
Which model have you used of the shv? The illuminated or the one with the adjustable parallax

I had the NXS 2.5-10x42 with capped turrets and MOAR reticle and now have the SHV. I sold the NXS years back for various reasons which don't make sense now, but now have the SHV.

I think the SHV and NXS are the same in terms of optics. They are both mediocre when compared against my S&B, but they are more than sufficient for hunting. This past week I was using the scope out to 600yds on wallabies no problem.

I use my binoculars for spotting and the scope to take the shot so absolute clarity and perfect color is not really a concern. People get wound up about this stuff. What is more important is will the thing hold zero and dial correctly every time.

The biggest issue with the SHV is that it does not have a zero stop. You must be very sure you know how many turns it is to zero if you go more than one up. There are index lines, but they are small and it's hard to be precise. I under-dialed my scope this week by accident and was 10 MOA low on an easy 300 yard shot and missed. I figured out what happened, but it was annoying. After that I was hyper aware of where I was on the dial and wrote on a piece of tape inside the top cap what turn index number is zero just to be sure.

However for a set and forget scope the SHV is good. It is compact and feels very well built. I trust NF not to go bad on me when going in out of vehicles, on quads, in rain, etc. when hunting. My rifle tipped over and banged the windage knob on a rock when glassing and I didn't worry about it with the NF. I just know it will work and that to me is worth it. Same when the rain came in. I just didn't need to think about it and just focused on looking for animals.

Now is the NXS worth 2X more than the SHV? I don't know about that. If they still had the capped versions I'd have gotten the NXS, but for me the SHV is fine and the price is good for the quality. I feel the scope can take abuse vs. what I was using on my rifles.
Does your shv have illumination ? Or parallax adjustment

tdot

WKR
Which model have you used of the shv? The illuminated or the one with the adjustable parallax
Since that post I've picked up a couple of used SHV w/out illumination and fixed paralax. I haven't had them at the range yet. But at home they are even more similar then I remember them.

Since that post I've picked up a couple of used SHV w/out illumination and fixed paralax. I haven't had them at the range yet. But at home they are even more similar then I remember them.
How do you like the illuminated models ?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Does your shv have illumination ? Or parallax adjustment
It has parallax. If I wanted a simpler scope I'd get it without. For hunting ranges parallax often isn't needed and probably not really needed for any scope under 10X power as well.

Illumination is often overrated and I almost never have used it when I had it on a scope. If it's that dark I can't see the reticle then probably I shouldn't take the shot as identifying the target will be in question as well.

wapitibob

WKR
Ha, I won't be placing a 36oz scope on a mountain hunting rifle.

Yea, I re evaluated after my post. I sold the NXS and bought a swfa, Didn't care for the 12x and bought a 20x swfa. Don't care for that one either and am back to looking at another NXS or an SHV. I spent a lot of money cutting weight on the rifle and hate to put a heavier scope on it but I sure miss that NXS.

Yea, I re evaluated after my post. I sold the NXS and bought a swfa, Didn't care for the 12x and bought a 20x swfa. Don't care for that one either and am back to looking at another NXS or an SHV. I spent a lot of money cutting weight on the rifle and hate to put a heavier scope on it but I sure miss that NXS.
I've also been doing the scope shuffle the past 6 or so months and keep coming back to the NXS Compact. For me and the way I hunt its fast become my favorite scope, tough as nails and for all you get its about as lightweight as you will find. Will be selling off stuff and getting a couple more.

Antares

WKR
I just ordered a 2.5-10x42mm NXS to replace my VX5. It'll be my second NXS. I'm looking forward to it...and will be for some time. I got an ETA of 9 months...