Nightforce SHV vs NXS

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’m thinking of adding one of these to a hunting rifle. Now that the SHV offers exposed turrets, is there a reason to pay more for the NXS?

Thanks in advance for the info.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Better turrets on the NXS, true ZeroStop on the NXS, more adjustment per revolution on the NXS over the SHV. NXS is a more durable scope. You can find a used NXS in the same price range as a new SHV and have a better scope.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Better turrets on the NXS, true ZeroStop on the NXS, more adjustment per revolution on the NXS over the SHV. NXS is a more durable scope. You can find a used NXS in the same price range as a new SHV and have a better scope.

Thanks for the info. I’ll be buying new, however.

The SHV is fine for most hunting situations so it depends on how you intend to use it. If you plan to zero it at 200 yards, work up a ballistics card and use the scope like a BDC for quick shots, you don't need the NXS. At least, that's my justification, I own two.

Attachments

• POF653.JPG
    POF653.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 4-14X56 scope_zpsy6g5f1sr.jpg
    4-14X56 scope_zpsy6g5f1sr.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 85
I’m thinking of adding one of these to a hunting rifle. Now that the SHV offers exposed turrets, is there a reason to pay more for the NXS?

Thanks in advance for the info.
I just bought a shv 5-20x56mm...Spend the more money of you want but it has everything i need..i can't justify 3 times the price just to own a NXS. The zero set technology as they put it sure seems pretty solid to me as a zero stop.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What country are you from? In the US a 5-20x56 SHV retails new for about $1200 - $1350. The most expensive NXS (8-32 model) retails new for $1900.

You might list the specific scope models you’re trying to compare as well as your intended use, conditions it’ll be used in, rifle(s) you’ll use it on, any specific feature preferences that you might have, budget, etc.
You are right on that amount of cost
. I grossly exaggerated the costs apparently. Personally i couldn't justify the difference. The functionality of my SHV is on par with having a zero stop and tracking properly. Never compared side by side but I'm assuming the clarity is better on the nxs. But for me i can't justify the costs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
What did you end up with? Going through the same thing here and curious what you landed on.

Does anyone know what the parallax knob on the MOAR reticle is for (it's supposed to be fixed)? Has markings from 1-11, is it for illumination?

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
What did you end up with? Going through the same thing here and curious what you landed on.

Does anyone know what the parallax knob on the MOAR reticle is for (it's supposed to be fixed)? Has markings from 1-11, is it for illumination?

I haven’t purchased one, yet.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider

You talking about the NXS? If so, the turning of the knob is for parallax. You have to mark it for yards yourself if you desire.

The illumination is controlled with a button on the same knob. One press turns it on. After on, a press changes the brightness and a short hold turns it off. A long hold changes the illumination color.

BBob

WKR

SHV? 1-11 markings for illumination. Fixed parallax? Nope.

Attachments

• NF SHV Illumination Knob.JPG
    NF SHV Illumination Knob.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 48
You talking about the NXS? If so, the turning of the knob is for parallax. You have to mark it for yards yourself if you desire.

The illumination is controlled with a button on the same knob. One press turns it on. After on, a press changes the brightness and a short hold turns it off. A long hold changes the illumination color.
was talking about the SHV

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider

You think the NXS is more durable? What makes you say that? I own two SHV's, I do not own the NXS. On my goat hunt last year, I took a bad spill as my crampons tripped me up and I had a loaded pack and went head over teakettle three times. The rifle and SHV smacked several rocks hard hard during the spill. When I shot it after the trip it was still on zero, and functioning perfectly, just with a little more cosmetic character. I also had a picatinney rail and Seekins rings. The SHV proved to be durable enough for Alaskan goat hunting, can't of anything tougher than that.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You think the NXS is more durable? What makes you say that? I own two SHV's, I do not own the NXS. On my goat hunt last year, I took a bad spill as my crampons tripped me up and I had a loaded pack and went head over teakettle three times. The rifle and SHV smacked several rocks hard hard during the spill. When I shot it after the trip it was still on zero, and functioning perfectly, just with a little more cosmetic character. I also had a picatinney rail and Seekins rings. The SHV proved to be durable enough for Alaskan goat hunting, can't of anything tougher than that.
Lens mounting is completely different from NXS compared to SHV, is one primary difference, as are all the other differences already mentioned. It's just a different scope. NXS is built to handle multiple impacts like what you described.

You can use NF scopes as a hammer to hang pictures, they are built tough!