Nightforce shv vs trijicon accupoint

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a new hunting scope for a close range (under 200 yard) whitetail rifle. I will not be doing any turret twisting, but I want a scope that will hold zero and is durable. Weight is not an issue. How do these 2 scopes compare optically? I'm thinking about the 2.5-12.5 accupoint and the 3-10 shv.

TxLite

WKR
I have the 2.5-12.5 mil dot accupoint but not the shv. I think for your purposes the Trijicon would work great.

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I own both scopes you are considering. For your purpose and no dialing, I would pick the Accupoint. I love the illumination without batteries. My 2.5-12.5 is the mil-dot and I really like it.
Similar optical quality? Reason I ask is because I have access to an shv to look through and it's very nice. I just want make sure an accupoint is comparable before ordering

Honestly I can't say. I don't really think about optical quality when I'm looking through a scope as long as they're clear and get me to each side of shooting hours. I would need to go get both rifles at last light to give you a better comparison.

bnsafe

WKR
I know nothing of the nightforce, but I bought a 3x9x40 accupoint in green this year. I love the illuminated reticle, and it was very good in low light. If I was doing it again today, I would get the 56 bell though. I saw one somewhere, euro optics or midway prob, for a good price on sale.
If they would make the accupoint in a 3x9x50 I would have a fleet of them.

@pharmfisher

I just evaluated both scopes at sunset, 15 minutes to last light, and last light. Looking at horses, cows, and targets from 30 yards to 475 yards away at 6x and 10x. I couldn't tell a difference in resolution or brightness. It would not surprise me to find out they use the exact same glass and coatings.

That said, at last light the Trijicon reticle was much easier to use and was the clear choice vs the unilluminated MOAR. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3127.jpeg
    IMG_3127.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 88
OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Can both of these scopes be trusted to hold zero through fairly rough use? I hunt public land, my gun often gets bumped. I have looked at the tests done on this website, but neither of these scopes were specifically tested.

Can both of these scopes be trusted to hold zero through fairly rough use? I hunt public land, my gun often gets bumped. I have looked at the tests done on this website, but neither of these scopes were specifically tested.
The Nightforce - Yes

The Trijicon - Maybe. Only the Tenmile and Credo have been through the drop test.

CRJR45

WKR
I have a Accupoint 3x18-56 and a SHV 5x20-56 , I like the reticle (Green dot) on the Trijicon better . It just seems easier to get on target .
Other than that , both are great scopes . IMO

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak of the durability of the Night Force SHV. I was out in Idaho in October on a quad with the rifle strapped to a rear rack. After 5 days of ripping up and down small rough trails, we tested the rifles on rocks from 150 out to 280 yards Dialing for the range. The SHV was perfectly in target. Very confident in that scope. I am however looking at the Trijicon scopes for another rifle.

Weldor

WKR
Has anyone dialed a Accupoint? I have a 3x9 Credo, and it dials just fine RTZ is good. Wondering on the accupoint for occasional dialing for a 300 Ham'r.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I run SHV and Accupoint 3-9. Both dial fine, but the SHV I trust more. The dial (3.5-10x42 model), is much sturdier than the Accupoint. I just trust it more.

I like the dot on the Accupoint though and run it on my 223 were I want a rapid low light reticle. But the SHV is my go-to hunting scope where I need to be sure it holds, dials and returns to zero.

Is it true, since that's all I'm seeing, is all the accupoint reticles are mil and not MOA? Excepting the post and standard reticle?

I am thinking 3-9 accupoint to save the 1/2 pound...