nightforce vs leupold

An ATACR is very heavy. The NX8 or NXS is on the heavier end of ‘hunting’ scopes. But you are getting a more robust scope.

There are some tracking and holding zero tests on other forums. A lot of scopes do not hold zero as well as you would hope. In the tests I have seen whether zero or tracking Kahles and Tangent Theta have been the only ones to be perfect. (There may be other tests I am unaware of and someone could always get a lemon). NF NXS, ATACR and probably NX8 (basically more modern NXS was too new to be in many tests) have done very well too.

I really like Kahles K525 or K318 they weigh about the same as NXS but have better glass and I feel more confident in their mechanics and parallax/image focus.

I think for the money the NX8 is pretty hard to beat. Try Sport Optics for price etc.

NDGuy

WKR
hi guys . i have a christensen arms mesa in 7mm . awesome rifle. looking to upgrade my vortex scope. between leupold and nightforce . any insights ? thanks in advance!
OP are you wondering about a VX5 vs SHV? Or VX6 vs ATACR/NX8?

Big difference and I noticed most Nightforce recommendations are talking about the NX8 which is 2kish. A VX5 and SHV are in the $1000-1400 range.

Not sure how much you were wanting to spend.

Nightforce is great, unless you have a problem. Their customer service is absolute shit.

Leupold is great if you don’t dial.

I’m firmly in the Trijicon camp now. I had a non issue, issue and their CS department was incredible to deal with.

krhuntin

FNG
I will say this. I own both. I always go back to the fact that the leupold turrets are mush compared to a nightforce. I have dealt with vx-3, vx-5 etc. the glass itself is phenomenal. But for the price of a vx-5 the turrets are garbage. They should be crisp. Even the vortex HST are way more crisp than the vx-5. Just my two cents. Again. The glass of leupold is great if you can get over the clicks.

EM_556

WKR
Nightforce. Always reliable. Excellent customer service, but doubt you will ever need it. The SHV and NXS line are perfect for a hunting rig. Weight is sacrificed. But the reason is the tube thickness is thicker compared to other brands.

I’ve owned Leupolds and still have a mark 6, but from my experience it won’t be much of an upgrade warranty wise from Vortex. You will use the warranty just as much. Tracking concerns are still a issue. If you do go Leupold, buy a Mark 5 or Mark 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
And it should be noted that NF does have some lighter weight options. (2.5-10 NXS 3-10 SHV) they aren’t all 32oz scopes.

For what they are, those scopes are still heavy. Compare a NXS 2.5-10x42 to a Swaro Z3 3-10x42.

That said, for a hard use rifle I will gladly carry the wieght of a NF and am willing to cross my fingers and hope I don't get a lemon. I cannot back that decision up with hard data as it is based on reputation and I'm not aware of a data set with an adequate size to accurately judge durability under abuse between different optics (meaning subjective reputation is the best data available).

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
personally i think if you want a do it all then a Leupold is the winner. it will save you weight that you will probably like better in the mountains. if it were just a tactical/LR shooter then Nightforce no doubt.

Ram94

WKR
For what they are, those scopes are still heavy. Compare a NXS 2.5-10x42 to a Swaro Z3 3-10x42.

That said, for a hard use rifle I will gladly carry the wieght of a NF and am willing to cross my fingers and hope I don't get a lemon. I cannot back that decision up with hard data as it is based on reputation and I'm not aware of a data set with an adequate size to accurately judge durability under abuse between different optics (meaning subjective reputation is the best data available).
The Swaro Z3 isn't generally toted as a dialing scope, so that isn't a great comparison but all I am getting at is that NF offers dialing hunting scopes that are within 2oz of a 44mm VX5 or a 3-9 SWFA.

LaHunter

WKR
hi guys . i have a christensen arms mesa in 7mm . awesome rifle. looking to upgrade my vortex scope. between leupold and nightforce . any insights ? thanks in advance!
I'm gonna assume you will be dialing. Not sure of what your budget is. Many / most long range shooters that dial a lot, will tell you reliability, return to zero, durability, all trump 'glass'. As long as the glass / sight picture is 'good', then the other factors are king. Your scope is an aiming device, not an observation device.
You can get an idea of what the top PRS competitors are shooting on the Precision Rifle Blog,. NF has a reputation for reliability, tracking, RTZ, durability for a reason. The SHV and NXS line have solid / good glass, but not stunning glass, but they are reliable. The ATACR has it all, but it is heavier and more $$$. The NX8 seems to get good reports also.

I had a NF NX8 4-32 and hated it, my Leupold mk5 was superior in every way.
Also NF customer service sucks, I know a guy who literally took them to court to get a faulty scope replaced

Untamed

Lil-Rokslider
Nightforce... no question. Built tough built to last! I like my zero to stay at zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard anyone say “night force customer service is great!”

I can absolutely say leupold’s customer service is great...every time I’ve had to use it for every leupold scope I’ve owned.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
I learned the hard way. I lost a nice bull last year to a zero shift on a VX-6HD...3.5 MOA shift to the right. Got sent back to Leupold, something loose in the erector. I dont recall a specific impact or fall that caused it. I will have a hard time trusting a Leupold on a mountain hunt again.

I have an NXS 2.5-10 on order...have for about 5 months now. Have yet to use it, but hoping the reliability & repeatability claims are true.

While I like the over-all fit & finish of VX-5HD (exposed locking elevation and capped windage) better, durability, repeatability, and holding zero are paramount to me. The best warranty and customer service doesn't make up for the unsuccessful hunt, wounded animal, etc.