Nighttime scope

crob1511

FNG
So I need help on picking a scope for nighttime calling. Only problem is, it can’t be nightvision and I can’t afford thermal. I do a lot of night hunting during deer season and in Iowa you can’t cast an infrared beam during that time. It’s going on a 223 bolt gun. My thinking would be a red dot or a prism, possibly a lpvo. But I’m curious on what the capability would be of those at night. Shots would be 150 yards and in. Would a regular scope with a big objective and 30 mm tube be a better option. Any input helps.

WCB

WKR
I would be guessing you are doing this with snow on the ground and relatively full moon? A larger objective could help...although an individuals eyes can only take in so much light so it ma not be needed. I hunt and night with a standard 1" tube 4-16x42 rifle scope and have no issues. Don't use a lighted reticle but do have scopes with very low illuminate or basically NV modes. 30mm tube is not needed.

OP
C

crob1511

FNG
I would be guessing you are doing this with snow on the ground and relatively full moon? A larger objective could help...although an individuals eyes can only take in so much light so it ma not be needed. I hunt and night with a standard 1" tube 4-16x42 rifle scope and have no issues. Don't use a lighted reticle but do have scopes with very low illuminate or basically NV modes. 30mm tube is not needed.
Yes hunting strictly with snow and either a good moon or light pollution from a plant I hunt by. I used my 243 all year last year and I have a 6-24 which did great but the 6 power was a bit much with how close they get. Also I currently don’t have an optic on my 223 so I was thinking anything low zoom to help with fov and light gathering.

sdarcher

FNG
I have a pulsar digex night vision scope and if there is good moonlight or snow on the ground, I don't turn my IR light on. Doesn't even need to be a full moon and I can hunt without a light.