Nikon ED50 Accessories

OR Archer

WKR
So I got a great deal on an ED50 from a friend. Im now in search of a lightweight tripod for use on my backcountry hunts. Id prefer to get something that is 2lbs or less with a tilt and pan head. The head doesnt need to fancy just not sloppy. Also Im looking for a good cover for the spotter for when its not in use. Any suggestions there?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Vortex High Country tripod w/ ball head with mine, and it works OK, but doesn't have the most durable feeling legs. I don't use a cover, because I haven't found one I liked too much.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
I've been looking at the Vortex ones. I can get them at a good deal so I may look at them even closer.

I'm expecting my RocketFish tripod in today. After reading some recommendations on here and at under $50 I just had to try them out! Let you know what I think of it when it arrives today... I got the carbon fiber 47" length one. Check Ebay or Amazon as I think they are discontinued...

Mike

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
For the tripod it'll depend on what you want to spend and what the max height will be. I will be using the ED50 in the field for the first time this year and I just bought a Cullman Nanomax 250. It's a hair heavier than your criteria and you may want to look at the Cullman 220 which is 1.8#. These are both on the cheaper side of the spectrum. Note you'll be hard pressed to find a tripod with max height taller than 50" and under 2#.

I have been looking high and low for an ED50 soft case and can't seem to find one. The best advise I've gotten so far is to get some medical "sticky" gauze or some call is Cohesive gauze in a mute color and do a custom wrap.

sneek-ee

WKR
Like said before, do you want to be able to stand up ever and use it? or just sit and glass.
My ED 50 sits on the Slik Sprint Pro tripod. 64" tall, so i can use it while standing! Weighs right at 2 lbs.
Its super quick and easy to use. And they're not expensive.
As far as a case goes for the scope, the one you get with it is garbage and a pain to use.
Paul at FHF Gear is the only way to go for that scope to get a good cover.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
I'm going to be glassing while sitting. Ill check out those other tripods. Thanks