Nikon Ed50 fieldscope or vortex razor HD?

Slim Jim

WKR
I have a dilemma and not sure what to do? In the next couple of months I plan on pulling the trigger on a good spotter. I was planning on getting the vortex razor hd but it is 4lbs. Almost all of my hunting is backpack hunting and wondering if it is worth the weight or should I go with the Nikon Ed 50 fieldscope that's just over a pound? I don't have the $ for both and the compact spotter I have now sucks in low light. I have the luepold gold ring 15-30 x 50

These are two completely different spotters used for totally different purposes. What are you wanting out of the scope? If you just want to see at distance the ed50 is good but if you are wanting details at distance you want the larger spotter with twice the zoom

I started with the minox md50 and it is great for scouting, I thought it was all I would need. But you dont realize the details you are missing until you get a bigger spotter. I went with the ziess 85 and if Im hunting I have the ziess. If Im scouting and taking the kid out with me I will take the MD 50

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I know the vortex is leaps and bounds better but is it worth the weight when backpacking? Does everyone carry the larger one into the backcountry and just cut weight wherever possible?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I took another look at that little Nikon ED 50. Its a cute lil bugger and I'd love to have one as it is superior to the Minox MD 50 I currently have. However, I'd be leaving the smaller spotter at home if going on a sheep hunt. On a carbiou or black bear hunt I might opt for the smaller lighter option.

You might wait to see how the new Vortex Razor 50mm spotter that is coming out in 2013 stacks up next to the Nikon.

Beastmode

WKR
I would have to agree with Luke and say wait till the 2013 line comes out. They are supposed to have a 65mm which might be something else to look at.

sk1

WKR
tough question, i do take my zen-ray ed2 82mm spotter with me on most hunts, its the exact same size and weight as the razor. but let me tell you, there are times id like to leave it at home because of the added weight. however, i love the image it provides and i think i might be disappointed if i only had a 50mm spotter. i would like to have a 50mm spotter for when i go to places i dont think ill need it, but have it just incase

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I just copied this from something that Aaron posted on another forum. I guess I should have followed it. Looks like I will probably be going for the razor 65mm as it is 3lbs. and stronger than the 50mm

The Razor HD nearly achieves the maximum resolution obtainable relative to the size of its objective lens, producing an exceptionally bright, crisp view with accurate color reproduction in even the dimmest light of dawn and dusk.

Angled and straight models are available.

Available: (11-33x50 MSRP $999) (16-48x65MSRP $1,599) (20-60x85 MSRP $2,000)

About Vortex Optics: American owned, Middleton, Wisconsin based Vortex Optics designs, engineers and distributes a complete line of premium binoculars, riflescopes, spotting scopes, tripods and related accessories. Dedicated to exceptional quality, value and unrivaled customer service, Vortex backs its products with its unconditional, transferable, lifetime VIP-warranty. Built on more than 20 years of experience in the optics industry, Vortex is rapidly emerging as a leading brand in the optics market.
Vortex - The Force of Optics | www.vortexoptics.com

The actual weight of the 50mm is 25 oz

The actual weight of the 65mm weighs 48 oz.

Kay9Cop

FNG
I have the Nikon ED50. I found that even when I had my Leupold spotter it wasn't enough to field judge rams from a good distance and still had to get close. I've just resigned myself to getting close for making the final determination and really only use the spotter for locating and determining sex.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Kay9cops post is exactlyi why I bought the Zeiss 85 and I'm willing to pack it on all my hunts. Being able to see and judge animals from a long distance opens up many more opportunities. Big glass is worth its weight.

VANDAL

WKR
I have both an ED50 and a Nikon Fieldscope 65mm ED. I thought I would want to have the option of the 65 for hunts where wt is less critical and the 50 for backpack hunts/scouting. For the last 2 seasons I haven't used the 65 at all. Only the 50ED. It does the job and I really can't tell much between the 50 and 65.

Ideally what I want to do, that you might want to consider, is owning the 50ED body and a Nikon ED 85mm body (instead of the 65mm) and have one eyepiece that you can interchange depending upon the use. Most of the cost is in the eyepiece. You can buy a refurbished 50ED body for ~$350. Go buy the 85mm with an eyepiece and I think it would be a very good setup.