Nikon Fieldscope 13-30x50 video review

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback on that Japan angle with the upgraded eyepiece. Who’d have thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
We took the ed50 goat hunting this week with a Slik Mini II, 13-40 MCII eyepiece and the 16x DS eyepiece. Worked great, were able to judge the billy at well over 1/2 mile that it was a mature billy. Ended up being an 8 year old and super happy with the set up and the space savings is also nice. Being able to use a lighter tripod is also a great advantage.

ljalberta

WKR
Great comparison. I have one of the Nikon ED50s as well and went the Amazon route, fulfilled through Japan. However, the downside of it is, it seems to have warranty work done to it, it needs to be sent back to Nikon Japan, and mine came with some dirt inside the body itself. No real performance issue, but i see it there every now and then.

One question for you guys with the ED50, when you shake it, is there a light rattling sound inside, or is that another issue I should get checked out?

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We took the ed50 goat hunting this week with a Slik Mini II, 13-40 MCII eyepiece and the 16x DS eyepiece. Worked great, were able to judge the billy at well over 1/2 mile that it was a mature billy. Ended up being an 8 year old and super happy with the set up and the space savings is also nice. Being able to use a lighter tripod is also a great advantage.

yes, the ability to run a light tripod can save as much or more than the optic.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great comparison. I have one of the Nikon ED50s as well and went the Amazon route, fulfilled through Japan. However, the downside of it is, it seems to have warranty work done to it, it needs t be sent back to Nikon Japan, and mine came with some dirt inside the body itself. No real performance issue, but i see it there every now and then.

One question for you guys with the ED50, when you shake it, is there a light rattling sound inside, or is that another issue I should get checked out?
I have not had any rattle in mine.

2blade

WKR
Hey guys, is the 13-40 MCII eyepiece that much better image wise than the stock 13x30? Is it really usable above 30x? thanks

EastMT

WKR
Yes it’s lights out better. After using it you won’t even be able to look through the 13-30 again. Eye relief, clear all the way to 40, the size of the picture, all substantially better. My buddy has a big 80mm, we were using the 13-40 this weekend judging Dall sheep at 2 miles while hunting bear and caribou. He was pretty shocked and says he’s going to have to have one.

2blade

WKR
Thanks coop! I am really stuck on going the 13x40 route or the Razor 11x33? Ever compare the 13x40 to the Razor?

EastMT

WKR
I have not, most of the comparisons I’ve seen use the factory rubber 13-30 and they are neck and neck. If it was done with the 13-40 I have no doubts it would win no problem.

I had a razor gen II 27-60x80 and it was decent scope for the price I gave, well off retail, $1200. I just hate the bulk in my pack when doing a 7+ day hunt. It’s nice to have all the extra room, not hike all day with the weight of you are going crazy distances. If I could only have one scope, it would be a hard choice between the EdIII (there’s one for sale on here now for a good price) and the ed50. Not much heavier for the 60 and not huge either.

I really wish I could find someone that has the new EDG, I’d like to like through that 60mm, it sure looks nice!

EastMT

WKR
I was just fiddling around with Nikon actual weights and thought I would share.

Scopes with no eyepiece:

Fieldscope ED50- 16oz
Fieldscope III ED60- 38.25oz
Fieldscope ED82- 55.0 oz

Eyepieces:

Factory 13-30-3.375oz

WDS 16/24/30x for digiscoping, by far best eyerelief and image size-5.875 oz

WF 30/38x-5.875 oz

MCII 13-40, 20-60, 25-75x best all around 5.5 oz.

Here is a side x side pic for size comparison.

acc256b5a385be119de15a75258c3cfd.jpg

Here are the eyepieces top down

13-30x, 13-40x, WF 30/38x, WDS 16/24/30x
b0c4ba9b836492369bcf56b1061a8698.jpg

Last edited:

Blue72

WKR
Can someone expand on the optical quality of the 40x lens

I know the birding forums say it’s darker, but is the sharpness or clarity still there

EastMT

WKR
Can someone expand on the optical quality of the 40x lens

I know the birding forums say it’s darker, but is the sharpness or clarity still there

I have a phone scope attachment that goes on the 13-40. It’s not a good one and hard to get just right, but I’ll see if I can get a picture at 13 and 40 to post.

I bought the bottom DS eyepiece for photos, my camera attaches to an aluminum sleeve and screws onto that eyepieces so I don’t use my phone much anymore.

I’ll try and get that this week if the rain lets up as I’ll be out a bit.

Blue72

WKR
I have a phone scope attachment that goes on the 13-40. It’s not a good one and hard to get just right, but I’ll see if I can get a picture at 13 and 40 to post.

I bought the bottom DS eyepiece for photos, my camera attaches to an aluminum sleeve and screws onto that eyepieces so I don’t use my phone much anymore.

I’ll try and get that this week if the rain lets up as I’ll be out a bit.

That be fantastic....thanks for your help in this matter

Blue72

WKR
According to onX this peak is 9.19 miles away, slight smoke from fire. 13 power, 40 power.

Headed moose hunting, sorry for bad setup. iPhone SE, cheap clamp on phone scope
fb154358b1120d4591352269e6fd3440.jpg
d1c88b38819ac47a9b89a8b78fe691b7.jpg

Thanks!

That mountain looks beautiful, where is that

I have one of these with the 13-40 lens and am pleased for the weight and cost of this setup. Also, the neoprene cover that fits on the small vortex 50 scope works on this scope as well. I was happy to have a cover that will protect this scope for times of in the field use.

Mt Al

WKR
Had one for years, sold it to help fund a Swaro 65mm and miss it.

Where it fell down for me was low light transmission, especially on cloudy mornings or evenings where you get several minutes, or 1/2 hour of low light vs. when the sky is clear. Had a muley buck in the scope at 900 yards early in the morning and could see way clearer through my binos than the scope, even with low magnification. I overreacted and sold it.

Just like the recent review states, I don't bring my heavy spotter on some trips and wouldn't hesitate to bring the Nikon. When I get in the right funding situation I'm going to buy another, fills a great niche. I'll just set my expectations differently for the Nikon.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Had one for years, sold it to help fund a Swaro 65mm and miss it.

Where it fell down for me was low light transmission, especially on cloudy mornings or evenings where you get several minutes, or 1/2 hour of low light vs. when the sky is clear. Had a muley buck in the scope at 900 yards early in the morning and could see way clearer through my binos than the scope, even with low magnification. I overreacted and sold it.

Just like the recent review states, I don't bring my heavy spotter on some trips and wouldn't hesitate to bring the Nikon. When I get in the right funding situation I'm going to buy another, fills a great niche. I'll just set my expectations differently for the Nikon.
Hey man, thanks for chiming in! Sounds like we think alike. I won't disupte that the light transmission on this little scope will limit it compared to the big glass, 50mm isn't alot to work with. But in the right situations, I really like this scope.

I just published the final written review here:

I would like to know the differences or comparison with the ED50 and the Leupold gold ring 15-30x50. Price wise you can find both scopes for a few hundred bucks, so I would like to know if clarity or glass quality is a wash or if one is better then the other.