Nikon Fieldscope 13-30x50 video review

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
No you can’t, it’s made that way for attaching a digiscoping clamp. The view in the 27x is unreal and you won’t need an eyecup. The rubber outer sleeve is removable for clamping a camera or phone scope to it.

I have glasses and use it, eye relief and view is the best of the 4 Eyepieces I have.
Well that settles it, placing my order tonight. Scope, 27x eyepiece, and the mc2 13-40 eyepiece.

No you can’t, it’s made that way for attaching a digiscoping clamp. The view in the 27x is unreal and you won’t need an eyecup. The rubber outer sleeve is removable for clamping a camera or phone scope to it.

I have glasses and use it, eye relief and view is the best of the 4 Eyepieces I have.
Thanks for the post!

Do you have (or otherwise know about) digiscoping components for a 27x DS? If so, what parts do you suggest?

EastMT

WKR
I bought a adapter for my Canon SLR that has 3 screws, hand tighten onto the DS eyepiece. I found it on eBay via a google search. The only downside is you have no lens attached so it’s manual focus.

I haven’t looked for a different setup but I’d like to find something that auto focuses, maybe for a small pocket camera or similar. I also have one for my phone, and it’s ok but I need to buy a quality one

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
Disclaimer, I haven't done this. Yet. But a lot of folks recommend upgrading to the MCII eyepiece for the ED50 which moves the zoom to 13-40. If this is your plan, you're out $700 or so for the scope, + $250 or so for the upgraded eyepiece and you're left with the stock eyepiece that'll probably gather dust.

Enter Japanese Amazon. If you shop at amazon.co.jp, you can get the ED50 without an eyepiece for $283 shipped. Best I can tell, Nikon doesn't sell the scope without an eyepiece in the states. Amazon claims 3-6 day shipping from Japan. Add the MCII (you can use American Amazon for this) and you're into the ED50 with upgraded eyepiece for under $550. Even cheaper if you go with one of the fixed mag eyepieces. The consensus on the birding forums is that everyone loves the 27x fixed that offers better eye relief and FOV than the zooms at the same mag. That might be the direction I go. Either way, you have the flexibility to choose the eye piece you want to go with, and you save money.

View attachment 113131
Unfortunately it appears that Amazon is no longer allowing this workaround. I keep getting an error when trying to ship to an international address. Was really hoping to be able to pick up the MC2 eyepiece and body for a good price. Total was going to be under $450.

EastMT

WKR
This is the cheapest I’ve seen new, eBay seems to be the easiest to locate them.

5babd4f5e5578bbe70c312756da971ee.jpg
330288194d5345de2557d19cf05d9899.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is the cheapest I’ve seen new, eBay seems to be the easiest to locate them.

Dang it, I’m going to have to re-join eBay. They kicked me off (they mistook me for a scammer) but that offers too good to not re-register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the exact setup I bought a couple months ago. Took a couple weeks to get here but we’re both new from japan. Love my setup. Weighs 3 pounds 11 ounces with my carbon fiber tripod. Clearer than my Vortex razor hd.

EastMT

WKR
Dang it, I’m going to have to re-join eBay. They kicked me off (they mistook me for a scammer) but that offers too good to not re-register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I wasn’t in the middle of a move I’d order one for you. Ebay is a pain sometimes, but if you just can’t find it anywhere, it’ll show up there eventually!

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Disclaimer, I haven't done this. Yet. But a lot of folks recommend upgrading to the MCII eyepiece for the ED50 which moves the zoom to 13-40. If this is your plan, you're out $700 or so for the scope, + $250 or so for the upgraded eyepiece and you're left with the stock eyepiece that'll probably gather dust.

Enter Japanese Amazon. If you shop at amazon.co.jp, you can get the ED50 without an eyepiece for $283 shipped. Best I can tell, Nikon doesn't sell the scope without an eyepiece in the states. Amazon claims 3-6 day shipping from Japan. Add the MCII (you can use American Amazon for this) and you're into the ED50 with upgraded eyepiece for under $550. Even cheaper if you go with one of the fixed mag eyepieces. The consensus on the birding forums is that everyone loves the 27x fixed that offers better eye relief and FOV than the zooms at the same mag. That might be the direction I go. Either way, you have the flexibility to choose the eye piece you want to go with, and you save money.

View attachment 113131
Thanks for explaining this. I did it and it has worked out great. The body arrived first and the 13-40 eyepiece came about a week later.
My initial impression is that this is a great solution. I’m trying to line up a side by side comparison with the 50mm Vortex Razor, but from my memory, the Nikon is better with this eyepiece.

Thank you.

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for explaining this. I did it and it has worked out great. The body arrived first and the 13-40 eyepiece came about a week later.
My initial impression is that this is a great solution. I’m trying to line up a side by side comparison with the 50mm Vortex Razor, but from my memory, the Nikon is better with this eyepiece.

Thank you.
How were you able to do so? Amazon Japan is saying this product can't ship to my address. I've tried using my parents address as well with no luck.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
It worked for me in mid December. I have a regular U.S. address, so I don’t know why they won’t ship to you. I know that is no help to you.

How were you able to do so? Amazon Japan is saying this product can't ship to my address. I've tried using my parents address as well with no luck.
Just get them on eBay. That’s what I did. Was easy. Got the angled unit and upgraded eyepiece for less than $550 for both. Had both units to my door in less than 2 weeks. Came new from japan.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Just get them on eBay. That’s what I did. Was easy. Got the angled unit and upgraded eyepiece for less than $550 for both. Had both units to my door in less than 2 weeks. Came new from japan.

Yeah, to clarify, I got one on eBay, and one from Amazon Japan. But as stated above, I would have just bought both on eBay if necessary.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered both scope and mc2 eyepiece of Amazon.ca. Should be here next couple of days, coming from Japan. Seemed oddly fast shipping, but I’m not complaining

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
I too just ordered the ed50 and the mc2 from ebay. I'll report back when i get it...
Think I am going to pull the trigger and do the same thing. $560 all in doesn't seem like a bad price.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Both my eyepieces showed up today but no scope. They came from different companies. Hopefully it shows up soon and I can test it out.

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running that exact same Benro tripod and love it. Had to switch to a pan head because I couldn't stand the controls on the included ball head.