Nikon Fieldscope 13-30x50 video review

If anyone is interested, I have a NIB 13-30x eyepiece I am willing to sell for $150 TYD US48. It arrived brand new from Nikon's US warranty location in Nov 2019.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I now have the scope body and both the mc2 and 27xwa eyepiece. I was surprised how light it actually is. Will be much nicer to pack then my vanguard 65hd. It’s dark out now, and I won’t be able to test it out for abit. So far though in my longest hallway, the eye relief, and general ease of use seem better then the vanguard. I find it much easier to get my eye behind it and get a good site picture. Also being lighter i noticed and improvement in the use of my tripod/head. The only thing so far I like more about the vanguard is it definitely feels more robust.
Does anyone know of a good stay on cover for this scope? I went with the straight model.

EastMT

WKR
Well, I now have the scope body and both the mc2 and 27xwa eyepiece. I was surprised how light it actually is. Will be much nicer to pack then my vanguard 65hd. It’s dark out now, and I won’t be able to test it out for abit. So far though in my longest hallway, the eye relief, and general ease of use seem better then the vanguard. I find it much easier to get my eye behind it and get a good site picture. Also being lighter i noticed and improvement in the use of my tripod/head. The only thing so far I like more about the vanguard is it definitely feels more robust.
Does anyone know of a good stay on cover for this scope? I went with the straight model.

There’s not a great cover for these that’s reasonable price. I’ve considered buying the Kowa 55 for it or the Vortex 50mm if you can find one since they don’t make them any more. I’ve almost decided to order some camo neoprene and sew my own.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Last edited:
I use a Leupold rifle scope neoprene stretchy cover over my straight ED 50. Works good. Wouldn’t on an angled one.

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider

I'm interested to hear your feedback and preference between those two eyepieces. Those are actually the two I'm stuck deciding between.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Mine came with a cover from Nikon
It’s sort of a piece of crap though. But it does protect the scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread ... I was looking at the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 ($650, 25oz) and the Upland Optics Perception HD 20-60x60mm ($350, 35.2oz). Sounds like this Nikon with MC2 13-40 is the better option.

Recommendations for tripod to go with it? Couldn't find the model of the Benro I saw here.

P.S. Robby, I just found that your book was free to read with my Amazon Kindle Unlimited account. Great read. Thanks for the final chapter, too.

Great thread ... I was looking at the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 ($650, 25oz) and the Upland Optics Perception HD 20-60x60mm ($350, 35.2oz). Sounds like this Nikon with MC2 13-40 is the better option.

Recommendations for tripod to go with it? Couldn't find the model of the Benro I saw here.

P.S. Robby, I just found that your book was free to read with my Amazon Kindle Unlimited account. Great read. Thanks for the final chapter, too.
Ill look tonight when I get home. Mine still has the tag on it. Used it this weekend, nice tripod.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks brother. Yes, it's free on Kindle and that is the most important chapter.

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider

I got mine on eBay, but many other vendors have them online.

Can any of the eyeglass wearers speak to how the eye relief is on the Nikon ED 50 with the MC II 13-40 eyepiece. Nikon states the eye relief for this eyepiece is 14.1mm at 13x and who knows how much less at 40x. 14.1mm at the low power end already has me a bit concerned.

I would be buying the straight body and the MC II 13-40 eyepiece off ebay from Japan and then taking them on a high country archery mule deer hunt here in a month if I go ahead with the purchase. I already have a 20-60x80mm spotting scope but it weights 3.75 pounds and I could shave some significant weight with this 50mm setup.

I am also considereing the Vortex Razor HD 50mm spotter, but this Nikon 50mm with the MC II 13-40 eyepiece seems to get better reviews; and I can also get the Nikon for less. Mainly just concerned about the eye relief for eyeglass wearers. Thanks

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
Can any of the eyeglass wearers speak to how the eye relief is on the Nikon ED 50 with the MC II 13-40 eyepiece. Nikon states the eye relief for this eyepiece is 14.1mm at 13x and who knows how much less at 40x. 14.1mm at the low power end already has me a bit concerned.

I would be buying the straight body and the MC II 13-40 eyepiece off ebay from Japan and then taking them on a high country archery mule deer hunt here in a month if I go ahead with the purchase. I already have a 20-60x80mm spotting scope but it weights 3.75 pounds and I could shave some significant weight with this 50mm setup.

I am also considereing the Vortex Razor HD 50mm spotter, but this Nikon 50mm with the MC II 13-40 eyepiece seems to get better reviews; and I can also get the Nikon for less. Mainly just concerned about the eye relief for eyeglass wearers. Thanks

I don't wear eyeglasses, but do have an ED50 with the MCII eyepiece. At highest magnification I imagine there will be issues with eye relief and eyeglasses. That's definitely my biggest knock on this setup.

I don't wear eyeglasses, but do have an ED50 with the MCII eyepiece. At highest magnification I imagine there will be issues with eye relief and eyeglasses. That's definitely my biggest knock on this setup.

Thanks for the response. That is what I am concerned with as it only starts out with 14.1mm of eye relief at 13x according to Nikon. How do you like the ED 50 otherwise, have you compared it to any of the other 50mm spotting scopes out there? I'm still on the fence whether to just use my 80mm spotting scope on my upcoming archery mule deer hunt and backpack it around the mountains for two weeks, or if I should go ahead and get a 50mm spotting scope to save weight. Just a little apprehensive about having eye relief issues.

For what it is worth I can use my Straight ED50 Nikon with the 13-30X eyepiece with eye glasses Across the entire magnification range. Don’t know the specs on it but it works OK. Wouldn’t want any less eye relief though. My Angled Swaro 20-60x 65 mm is better for eye relief and the angled scope seems more ergonomic for me with glasses...which I always wear.

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response. That is what I am concerned with as it only starts out with 14.1mm of eye relief at 13x according to Nikon. How do you like the ED 50 otherwise, have you compared it to any of the other 50mm spotting scopes out there? I'm still on the fence whether to just use my 80mm spotting scope on my upcoming archery mule deer hunt and backpack it around the mountains for two weeks, or if I should go ahead and get a 50mm spotting scope to save weight. Just a little apprehensive about having eye relief issues.

I have not had a chance to compare it to the other 50mm scopes. I did do extensive research before going with the Nikon and all the positive reviews here pushed me over the edge. The birding community is really high on it too. This year will be my first chance to use it in the field, so I don't yet have a ton of hands on experience, but it is impressively clear just playing around.

Last edited:
For what it is worth I can use my Straight ED50 Nikon with the 13-30X eyepiece with eye glasses Across the entire magnification range. Don’t know the specs on it but it works OK. Wouldn’t want any less eye relief though. My Angled Swaro 20-60x 65 mm is better for eye relief and the angled scope seems more ergonomic for me with glasses...which I always wear.

Thanks for letting me know, that is good to hear that you have enough eye relief while wearing glasses using the 13-30 eyepiece as Nikon states it has 12.9mm of eye relief at 13x compared to the MC II 13-40 eyepiece having 14.1mm of eye relief at 13x. Nikon doesn't state what the eye relief is for either at their repective max 30x and 40x powers unfortunately.

I am really tempted to buy an ED 50 and the MC II 13-40 eyepiece for the deer hunt but the other part of me says to just make due with the 20-60x80 scope I have this year and hope to find a good deal on a new or used Kowa 554 15-45x55mm spotting scope in the off season as I would most likely keep that one forever by nearly all acounts. I have little to no experience with angled spotting scopes having always used straight ones. Thanks for the response.

I have not had a chance to compare it to the other 50mm scopes. I did do extensive research before going with the Nikon and all the positive reviews here pushed me over the edge. The birding community is really high on it too. This year will be my first chance to use it in the field, so I don't yet have a ton of hands on experience yet, but it is impressively clear just playing around.

Good to hear it is nice and clear. I have read about everything I can find online about it and am very tempted to give it a try. Otherwise I will just use the 80mm scope I have for this hunt and either try to get one for next fall or see if I can possibly find a good deal on a new or used Kowa 554 15-45X55mm.