Nikon Fieldscope III ED 60mm- Heads up on great price on them!

stephen b

WKR
Thought I would share what I recently saw when looking for an eyepiece for a ED50. May help someone looking for a mid sized scope at a good price (fantastic really). I have no idea why these are so low- the straight version is $450-$550 less than the angled and the ED straight is even less than the regular non-ED straight at one of these places. Crazy. No idea how long they will last or stay at this price.

Right now these Nikon ED 60mm Field scopes (straight version) are going for a great deal from a couple suppliers. $750 for the straight body ED model with the MCII 20-60x zoom (13-40x on a ED50)! The scopes have the improved MCII eyepiece which can be used on the ED 50 scopes for a 13-40x and is an even better eyepiece than the 13-30x that usually comes with it. I ordered one of the 60mm ones mainly to have a MCII eyepiece for a ED50. At this price I decided to go with this Nikon 60 mm ED Fieldscope rather than go with the Pentax ED65 I was going to get. I will see what it is like when I receive it.

Hopefully this helps someone out:

These are brand new- not demo's

http://www.adorama.com/NKFSZED.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/482963-REG/Nikon_8331_Fieldscope_III_ED_2_4_60mm.html

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
The weight from the first link provided says that the scope is 38oz. Anyone know if that is for the body and eye peice or just the body?

How would these rank with a Leupy Gold ring HD?

OP
S

stephen b

WKR
Great scope, but something's gotta be up. To good to b true!

I thought the same thing- but it is accurate. I ordered the 60mm last night from Adorama and last night and called and confirmed this morning that info was accurate and that it was new. I just could not figure out either why the same ED straight scope was $450 less than the angled. Last night I checked B&H price and they had the straight ED scope for $899 and then this morning I saw that they too were at $749.99. So they must have changed their site to match Adorama.

As BB says these are two very legit companies and I have ordered from both in the past with no problems.

BTW- B&H has the ED 50 straight and in stock for $649.99. So IMO if someone wanted to get the ED50 and the larger somewhat heavier 60mm ED scope- I think that you would be hard pressed to get any better scope combo for $1399. You would have a very light weight 50mm ED scope and a bigger one that is a a great midsized one. The best thing about that combo is that the eyepieces are interchangeable and the eyepiece that is on the 60MM ED- the MCII (20-60 zoom on the 60mm and would be 13-40x on the 50mm) is a hard eyepiece to find alone for the 50 ED and if you do find it it is not cheap.

BTW- I would not have posted this info today if I had not checked it out myself and found it to be true.

Last edited:
OP
S

stephen b

WKR
The weight from the first link provided says that the scope is 38oz. Anyone know if that is for the body and eye peice or just the body?

How would these rank with a Leupy Gold ring HD?

It is just the weight of the body according to Nikon website; which has it as 1090g which = 38.45 oz. The eyepiece (MCII) according to Nikon website is 150g which is 5.3 oz. So total for the body and eyepiece would be 43.75 oz.

Regarding the optical qualities of the Nikon fieldscopes vs. Leupold GR HD- IMO; and I believe most people that have tested them regard the Nikons as being optically better. Plus for these prices you could have (2) Nikon ED Fieldscopes ( a 50mm and a 60mm) for just $200 more than what the Leupold GR is going for.

I did not mean to insult, I just usually find the hidden issue. Looks like a good scope. What r your opinions of it?

AGPank

WKR
Camofire had a smokin deal on the big 82 last week. Maybe Nikon has something new getting ready to replace these models.

ktowncamo

WKR
Nikon is replacing these models which is why Camofire had them on for the big ones (Camofire is getting more coming up next week) and likely why these photo houses are getting the 65mm.

OP
S

stephen b

WKR
Nikon is replacing these models which is why Camofire had them on for the big ones (Camofire is getting more coming up next week) and likely why these photo houses are getting the 65mm.

Not surprising that they ( like all companies ) would continue to change and upgrade models. Am curious as to where you got the info from regarding the replacement of these? Direct from Nikon or some other source.