Nikon Monarch 5 12x42's as viable alternative to 12x50's?

ChrisAU

WKR
Was just looking at what was out there and found these. A full half pound lighter than my Razor 12x50's. Think they are worth doing a comparison? I know low light would be more challenging, but for glassing all day I'm not sure I'd give up enough to be sad I'm missing a half pound?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Just realized Maven C.1's were offered in 12x42 as well, albeit 3 oz heavier than the Nikons...

Yakoun

FNG
So I was doing some research on these for the same reason you were - the weight. I see you ended up buying and then selling some. What did you think of them? Obviously not enough to keep them, but did you have any thoughts about them?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
So I was doing some research on these for the same reason you were - the weight. I see you ended up buying and then selling some. What did you think of them? Obviously not enough to keep them, but did you have any thoughts about them?
I thought they were fine, better than I expected. Just lacking in low light but not much.

j33

WKR
I have the 10x42 Monarch 5's, FOV ain't great at 288 ft. I'm likely gonna give sheep hunting a go this year and looking at getting 12x42's since I'll have my tripod on me anyway. Those Maven C1's look decent for around $100 more, 3oz heavier but still have the same FOV of 261ft

j33

WKR
Any updates on this?

I picked up 10x42 Monarch HG’s and I’m not impressed at all about how little improvement over my Monarch 5’s. Considering selling and picking up a second set of M5’s but in 12x42’s