Nilgai - Antelope Forum or General? bullet and shot placement

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
So I've searched and have read - I was highly entertained by stories and opinions.
And I know this can be controversial and subjective but I need to ask because I am going in 2.5 weeks.
300 minimum required by outfitter.

I have a 300PRC that I LOVE. Received it in January, 2021 and it has already killed 7 animals at an average distance of 506 yards.
It shoots 212gr Hornady factory loads - very well.

I have a 300WM that I also love. In the last 3 months it has taken an elk and a bison for average shot distance of 235 yards.
It shoots 180gr Nosler Accubond hand loads - very well.

Questions, based on the above:
  • If you have killed a Nilgai before, which rifle/bullet would you use?
  • Shoot straight up the leg, if broadside, for a heart shot? Go high and break both front shoulders?
  • If head on shoot in the valley of V of the brisket or the white spot in the throat/neck below chin?
  • If quartered???? Aim for opposite shoulder?

This is low fence but high rack. I have never high rack hunted (harvested) before - anything a spot and stalk guy should know before doing high rack? Do you get off the rack to shoot from sticks or do you shoot up there?

OXN939

WKR
So I've searched and have read - I was highly entertained by stories and opinions.
And I know this can be controversial and subjective but I need to ask because I am going in 2.5 weeks.
300 minimum required by outfitter.

I have a 300PRC that I LOVE. Received it in January, 2021 and it has already killed 7 animals at an average distance of 506 yards.
It shoots 212gr Hornady factory loads - very well.

I have a 300WM that I also love. In the last 3 months it has taken an elk and a bison for average shot distance of 235 yards.
It shoots 180gr Nosler Accubond hand loads - very well.

Questions, based on the above:
  • If you have killed a Nilgai before, which rifle/bullet would you use?
  • Shoot straight up the leg, if broadside, for a heart shot? Go high and break both front shoulders?
  • If head on shoot in the valley of V of the brisket or the white spot in the throat/neck below chin?
  • If quartered???? Aim for opposite shoulder?

This is low fence but high rack. I have never high rack hunted (harvested) before - anything a spot and stalk guy should know before doing high rack? Do you get off the rack to shoot from sticks or do you shoot up there?

Barnes TTSX or other quality copper mono. Hold a little farther forward than you do on an elk. More importantly than anything, make sure you can shoot whatever you take well in a field environment. Flinches have caused far more wounded and unrecovered animals than taking too little gun.

20200316_122547.jpg

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Barnes TTSX or other quality copper mono. Hold a little farther forward than you do on an elk. More importantly than anything, make sure you can shoot whatever you take well in a field environment. Flinches have caused far more wounded and unrecovered animals than taking too little gun.
Thanks. And congrats on your Nilgai. And thank you for the shot placement advise.

While I appreciate the response to my post, I don't have and don't shoot the Barnes TTSX and it was not listed as an option. We got Nosler 180AB or Hornady 212gr ELDM to choose from here.

The resumes above of the two rifles I need to choose between were me behind the trigger on all but a couple of the 300PRC kills - I let a buddy use it on a hunt we were on and I let two guides kill javis with it. Not to say I won't miss or flinch but I am comfortable with the two rifles. None of the animals referenced above were taken from a shooting bench and I can shoot the both well in a field environment.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
The nilgai I have shot, and have seen others shoot, were with a 300WM shooting 180 gr ballistic silvertips provided by the guides in a camp gun. Well placed shots dropped them. Poor shots didn't. I think either would be fine. I'd go with the accubonds if it were me.

We rode in high rack trucks, but always got out of the truck and shot off sticks, or the mirror, or other reasonable rests.

The eldms are a fantastic long rang bullet but at the distances you’ll probally be shooting from a high rack I’d go with the accubond. Those are my two favorite bullets though. I shoot eldms in all my 6.5s and .270s and accubonds in my .30s.