NL 12x42 experience?

FlyGuy

WKR
I currently have 10x42 Slc’s, the first alpha glass I’ve ever get owned. I but I hunt elk deer, bear, coyote, sheds, and just about any western animal you can think of. Approximately 2 -3 months of the year I’m not using binos most of the time. I think I use them more than most people. I’ve used 10’a all my life. However people seem to be selling 12’s for 10’s. Are these easterners? Or are they actually hard to hold off hand?

I’m not sure if you mean people are selling 12’s “in general” for 10’s; or specifically 12x NL pures for 10x NL’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't have any issues hand holding them but I've seen others say the rest helps them. I borrowed a rest and it might have been better but it wasn't big for me so I haven't bought one. I only have the 12's for when I'm not carrying my 15's as my primary large glassing optic.
Same here exactly… I am going to get the 8x too at some point, but I don’t have any issues hand holding the 12x NL, I was worried about getting the 12x but I would buy them again if I could do it over… I like them a bunch

I ran the slc 10s and slc 15s. The 15s were incredible for long distance and the 10s are probably great all around binos in general, but i ended up selling both of those to fund the 12s. the 12s are truly amazing. the field of view is just tough to beat and the edge to edge clarity is unreal. Before i looked through the 12s I really had it in my head about the shake factor so I was just paying more attention to it than i really ever have with 10s but what it really came down to was both the 10s and 12s were had similar shake to me. I plan on getting some compact 8s and bringing both pair when i need to. I don't think that a guy can get away with just one set of binos but the 12s seem to be a great way to go if you could only have one set of binos for multiple situations but I will have some compact 8s come hunting season.

I got some this past febuary. I dont feel hand holding is much issue espeacially once i found how to hold them in my hands just right. The Frp was worse for me, but i might have a weord shaped head cause most people love it. I thought i couldnt get my eyes close enough

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
I use the can of by bow a lot already to steady up a quick look. Be careful boys, you are slowly talking me into the 12’s….

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure if you mean people are selling 12’s “in general” for 10’s; or specifically 12x NL pures for 10x NL’s?

Seems like people are selling/trading NL 12’s for NL 10’s

Kwa_bena

FNG
Is this a quick detach? Or do you need a larger Bino harness to accommodate the forehead rest?

According to Marsupial gear you need a midium with the head rest on. But depending on what you have now it might work with the headrest on as well. It’s a quick detach

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I guess my choice will probably come down to what kind of deal I can find. Sounds like I can’t go wrong with either the 10’s or the 12’s

huntnful

WKR
It honestly shouldn't even be a dilemma in my eyes. Glassing 600 yards - 2 miles, 80% off a tripod with a little bit of hand holding here and there... GET THE 12'S!!!

I have the 12's and never, not once, felt like I wish I would have gotten the 10's. I use a tripod 95% of the time though. Easily glassed elk at 3 miles easily and deer at 2 miles.

Also, if you just started using a tripod last year, you'll only begin to use it more and more and more.

6.5x284

WKR
I have the 8x and 12x NL. I run the 8x 85% of the time. Such an awesome bino. I run it off a tripod like I do my 12x. The FOV is massive, and they are a lot brighter at first and last light. Both are awesome. Having both I would pick the 10x if I could only have one. I use 12x more to scout and 8x more to hunt. If I'm backpacking in, I generally take 12x and a spotter. The 12x are pretty stable for a 12x, but compared to the 8x you feel like you're having a seizure!

huntnful

WKR
I have the 8x and 12x NL. I run the 8x 85% of the time. Such an awesome bino. I run it off a tripod like I do my 12x. The FOV is massive, and they are a lot brighter at first and last light. Both are awesome. Having both I would pick the 10x if I could only have one. I use 12x more to scout and 8x more to hunt. If I'm backpacking in, I generally take 12x and a spotter. The 12x are pretty stable for a 12x, but compared to the 8x you feel like you're having a seizure!
Great view point. I only backpack in and only hunt big country. Use 12’s and a spotter like you stated. But if I was glassing a lot of country under 1000 yards, those 8’s would be $$$!!

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Would you care to share which state/ which type of terrain you are glassing? Around here, 8x’s aren’t even heard of. 10’s are going rate

6.5x284

WKR
Would you care to share which state/ which type of terrain you are glassing? Around here, 8x’s aren’t even heard of. 10’s are going rate
I primarily hunt Western MT and Central WA. Archery, I'm generally in thick timber. Rifle, I'm generally hiking to glassing points to locate animals for that day or the next days hunt. Pretty much all glassing is off a tripod unless I'm just stopping for air on a hike or giving a cut or ridge a fast glance. I've picked up a solo mule deer buck at 1.2 miles with my NL 8x with bad light (looking into sun). Just a couple weeks ago I glassed a solo mule deer at 4.2 miles with my NL 12x in perfect light (sun lit up him in summer colors and the hillside, he practically glowed).

I used to be a die hard 10x and 15x guy. I forget which podcast but listened to a Swaro engineer explain why the 8x42 binocular is perfect in terms of lots of nerd eye/light/pupil/design stuff so tried one. After having one, I like it better than any other power combo. Especially at dawn/dusk. I haven't timed it but I bet it's close to 10 minutes extra glassing time compared to my 12x NL.

Nothing wrong with the 12's. Love them and use them a lot. But if I could only have one I would 100% take the 10x and split the middle.

edit: I think the most important thing is to glass off a tripod. I keep seeing guys saying they can hand hold the 12x NL as good as 10's. Just cave and buy a tripod and you'll 100% see more animals. I would bet money if you could take a 8xNL, 10xNL, and 12xNL and cover the center caps with the power numbers and let 100 people pick their favorite without knowing the power, the 12xNL would be last.

Last edited:

Siggy111

FNG
I’m using 12’s without issue. I have the headrest and prob use it 50% of the time. The loss of light during hunting is minimal. I travel the west and northwest frequently and view mtn tops. The Swaro’s are amazing. No regrets.

I’m in the market for NL Pures and I’m on fence between 8x and 10x. I bet the 8s with the headrest would be super steady.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for NL Pures and I’m on fence between 8x and 10x. I bet the 8s with the headrest would be super steady.
I've got the 8x42 NL with the headrest and love them. The FOV is so good it makes everything else seem like looking through a pipe. I compared the 8's to the 10's without the headrest outside at Sportsman's. The 10's were shakey enough that I couldn't decipher more detail at 1-2 miles than I could with the 8's. (with my elbows resting on a planter and holding the brim of my hat). Also looking into the shade with the 10's at that distance was a good bit darker than the 8's. If you put the 10's on a tripod I'm sure they would show more detail than the 8's in the sun, but I'm not so sure looking at the shade. The larger exit pupil makes for an very relaxing viewing experience.

I bought Meopta 15x56 to pair with the 8's for longer glassing but found them to show such a slight bit more detail than the NL 8's that I decided to sell them and get a spotter for longer glassing. The clarity of the NL 8's is that good.

Shraggs

WKR
Back a few years ago I posted a thread comparing swaro el vs meopta 12. I timed that I can hand hold them close to two minutes before I need a rest. I have a few 8s, the 12 el and meopta 15. The later weight becomes a challenge more so then the magnification. But 12 vs 10 vs 8 I believe reveals how unsteady one is positionally.

If you can barrow a 12 vs your 10. See for yourself how you individually fare. Hand hold a target with details that’s close say 100 yards to take magnification off the table. See which one has more detail.

Doing this myself and 400 yards and in 8 alpha beats 10 12 and certainly 15 alphas. My 26 oz ZEISS fl only gives my a few seconds fatigue advantage over the 35 oz 12 el. I actually placed deer mounts in trees for this test.

Now slightly stabilize (not a tripod) and things start to change. Personally I can’t get a bino harness to ride high, and i carry in a shoulder rig so I like it lower. Standing, I get my elbows on the harness and the micro shaking begins to disappear and the higher powers begins to separate - beyond a few hundred yards. Not as stable as tripod but remarkably so for standing.

As many have stated, a leap was taken and most are pleased. I think you might be over thinking the hand held shakes thing based on a the “product” - but if the 12 makes sense for your nearly a mile of spotting game get them and go into thinking you may need to tweak your “form” to get the most while hand holding. In this case swaro has added an option to stabilize is a bonus.

My 2 cent into the kitty.

FlyGuy

WKR
Back a few years ago I posted a thread comparing swaro el vs meopta 12. I timed that I can hand hold them close to two minutes before I need a rest. I have a few 8s, the 12 el and meopta 15. The later weight becomes a challenge more so then the magnification. But 12 vs 10 vs 8 I believe reveals how unsteady one is positionally.

If you can barrow a 12 vs your 10. See for yourself how you individually fare. Hand hold a target with details that’s close say 100 yards to take magnification off the table. See which one has more detail.

Doing this myself and 400 yards and in 8 alpha beats 10 12 and certainly 15 alphas. My 26 oz ZEISS fl only gives my a few seconds fatigue advantage over the 35 oz 12 el. I actually placed deer mounts in trees for this test.

Now slightly stabilize (not a tripod) and things start to change. Personally I can’t get a bino harness to ride high, and i carry in a shoulder rig so I like it lower. Standing, I get my elbows on the harness and the micro shaking begins to disappear and the higher powers begins to separate - beyond a few hundred yards. Not as stable as tripod but remarkably so for standing.

As many have stated, a leap was taken and most are pleased. I think you might be over thinking the hand held shakes thing based on a the “product” - but if the 12 makes sense for your nearly a mile of spotting game get them and go into thinking you may need to tweak your “form” to get the most while hand holding. In this case swaro has added an option to stabilize is a bonus.

My 2 cent into the kitty.

That’s a good test. I would have never considered 12’s myself before the NL’s. They really have changed the game, at least for me. I’d be curious what your own personal results would be if you retested but replaced the EL 12’s with NL’s + headrest.