NL moose, drive in camp suggestions-Effords, hideaway lodge, others?

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

I know fly in hunts are probably the most popular, but we are hunting moose with renfros in Alaska this coming season on a fly in, so looking to do something little different.

We are considering doing a land based moose hunt in NL in 23 and looking for suggestions? Not really looking to just road hunt, but I have seen some you drive to a certain point, and then drive a ways on atvs to a camp that you would hunt from by atv or boat and then hike.

I’ve seen effords and few others offer these type of hunts but looking for feedback from others that have done these hunt’s. We are still looking for high success and a great trip just something little different than the fly in hunt.

All feedback you guys provide is appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

Trial153

WKR
My first NL bowhunt was based out of a Drive in camp, they are no longer in business as the sold their area. I after that hunt, even being successful I said I wouldn’t hunt again out of a drive in camp in NL. My next two hunts were fly in and next years is also

I am sure there is are some decent ones however you will need to vet them well. Eddfords, roberts and tuckamore all offer drive in camps and they have fantastic reputations

I did a drive in hunt. Locals everywhere. We were always behind the early bird locals field dressing their Moose. It was discouraging to say the least. The outfitter felt bad, so he invited me back late season. I did eventually get a Moose, but it took my 2 trips to NL.

Tjwjr89

FNG
I did a fly in hunt with Effords a couple years ago. I have nothing but good luck things to say about them. The fly in camp had an awesome cook, comfy bed, and a hot shower. Not to mention awesome hunting.

RS3579

WKR
Pm me. I’ve hunted with The Hide Away Lodge. I’ll tell/answer all your questions. Great people.

Sako76

WKR
I did a drive-in hunt with Bob Efforts in 2015, the worst hunt I've ever been on. Efforts sold his Gander Rover camp after 5 of us booked the hunt, he never told us that he sold the camp. One of the references who got back to us a month after we called told us.

He put us in his fishing camp on a lake with about 100 house on it. It was a 2 1/2-3 hour drive one way to the hunting area that was loaded with local road hunters.

The guide were on their early 70's and late 60's and they were not familiar with the hunting area. We literally road hunted every day, the guides refused to get out in the woods and hunt. We asked Efforts wife to have Bob talk to us and she always said "he's flying"!

When we went down one road, 2 or 3 local trucks would be coming out and there would be 1 or 2 trucks with local hunters behind us. I don't know what would have happened if we saw a moose.

The guides drove us through a lot of ground that was being tree planted where we had to case our guns with some days this being the majority of the hunt since the guides didn't know the area.

Two of us never saw a moose, one guy saw a vow and calf and two guys shot 25" bulls from the road.

I would stay far far away from Bob Efforts.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman