NL Pure 12x42 field use

luv2huntelk

Lil-Rokslider
I've read reviews of the NL Pure 12x42 by several columnists, but looking for more reviews from others regarding these binos. The top notch quality is a given and I have Swaros myself. I'm concerned with the steadiness of 12X binos in all situations outside of tripod usage. What's some of your feedback regarding these binos in your hunting situations? Does the forehead rest completely counter the lack of steadiness factor? What say you with experience with these?

WRO

WKR
I've read reviews of the NL Pure 12x42 by several columnists, but looking for more reviews from others regarding these binos. The top notch quality is a given and I have Swaros myself. I'm concerned with the steadiness of 12X binos in all situations outside of tripod usage. What's some of your feedback regarding these binos in your hunting situations? Does the forehead rest completely counter the lack of steadiness factor? What say you with experience with these?
I run 12x50els handheld with no issues, I can only imagine the nls are better with the big fov, I'll know sooner than later.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Too unsteady for me. Most people like 10's. I prefer 8s. FOV and steadiness are more important to me. I guess the main argument for people to go to a higher power in NL's is you get the higher magnification with the FOV of the next size down. 12x NL's are gonna be just as shaky as any other 12x bino when free handing. Again, I like the 8x NL's for less shake and greater FOV. I mostly archery hunt though and have spotters for looking far away.

skierhs

WKR
I run the 12xNLs. I run them without a tripod plenty or head rest. I do go back and forth if I want a 10x pair instead. The big thing for is that this suplements between a 10x and carrying around a 15x all while I carry a 95mm spotter. I have been happy with the 12x so far and highly doubt I'll switch over to 10x. If you are able to use anything to steady the binos theyre worlds better of course. It comes down to how much will you be doing longer glassing sessions without a tripod. If you are using the binos for long glassing sessions without a tripod, then you'll hate the binos. If you're using a tripod for long glassing sessions then the draw backs of the 12x will be far less. I will say, bow hunting with the 12x and looking at elk within 80 or so yards can become rough with shake when you add in the adrenline. That being said, its not something I do or focus on daily.

marktole

WKR
I got a pair of the 12x NLs, what sold me was the FOV is the same as a pair of 10x50 ELs, which is what I was using before. (The 10x50 ELs are for sale in the classifieds if anyone wants to jump on that.) I was always unsure about giving up FOV for more power, but the NLs FOV spec made it seem like a no brainer. Same FOV with 20% more power? You bet, sign me up.

I have been very impressed with the 12s. I was a little concerned about hand shake as well, but the few times I have had them out turkey hunting (not quite the same test as a high country mule deer or elk hunt, but field experience free handing them none the less) it has not been an issue for me. I did not get the forehead rest with them. I would say that I can free hand the 12x42s as well as I could my 10x50s and the reason for it is the ergonomics of the NLs. I thought it was more of marketing gimmick from Swarovski than an actual benefit, but it helps. Hard to explain without feeling them and experiencing it for yourself, but they just fit in your hands so nice and it makes it easier to handhold, I think. My ELs felt blocky after switching back and forth between the two. Now, granted, I haven't done a ton of looking through them freehand past maybe more than 1,200-1,500 yards, but if I am looking that far or farther for any period of time longer than a few minutes they are going on a tripod anyway.

I had read a few other users describe looking through the NLs as "the eyebox is pickier than ELs," meaning it was hard to get a good picture due to eye relief causing shadow or black spots. I would agree with this AT FIRST, because they do take a little getting used to. After I had my diopter and eye cups set and was used to pulling them up to my face where they needed to be, it was a non issue.

Over all I really like them, can't wait to get some use off a tripod with them. 10s are awesome, but I felt like I wanted more bino on several occasions while glassing off a tripod on some of my hunts and I didn't want to own and carry 15s and 10s. 12s fit the bill for me really well and I have been pleased with the large FOV, steadiness when free handing, and overall performance. The image is crystal clear and looks amazing edge to edge.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
These real-world field impressions are good to hear. Please keep ‘em coming?

I’ve got a set of 8x42 SLC. They were great in WY this past fall. But I felt under-magnified. Not by a huge amount, but I did. I’d like to step up to the tripod game and maybe do a 12x-15x, but I have a lot of reservations about buying a set of NLs and then deciding later that I needed the 15. Where we were, there would have been little to no place for a spotter (too tight in the trees and canyons).

I’d imagine that hunt-rental will get some business from me this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
I’m amazed at how steady I hold these things. I’ve never owned a tripod, but was planning on getting one for my first set of 12s. Now I honestly don’t think I need to. I have a set of 8x32s and I can hold these 12x42s just as steady

Outwest

WKR
Checked out a buddy’s pair this past weekend. I only use 10x42s and hand-holding those NL 12s, they walk, talk and act like 10s with extra magnification and an IMAX feel. Really impressive binoculars.

WRO

WKR
I’m amazed at how steady I hold these things. I’ve never owned a tripod, but was planning on getting one for my first set of 12s. Now I honestly don’t think I need to. I have a set of 8x32s and I can hold these 12x42s just as steady
Tripod will make them it better, you'll catch way more detail.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jeverett

FNG
Tripod is by far the way to go when glassing at range. What distance are guys trying to hand hold 12s and glass up animals with. The one scenario that sticks out to me is if you are stalking and just want the additional power but at that distance I would rather have 8s

coues32

WKR
These real-world field impressions are good to hear. Please keep ‘em coming?

I’ve got a set of 8x42 SLC. They were great in WY this past fall. But I felt under-magnified. Not by a huge amount, but I did. I’d like to step up to the tripod game and maybe do a 12x-15x, but I have a lot of reservations about buying a set of NLs and then deciding later that I needed the 15. Where we were, there would have been little to no place for a spotter (too tight in the trees and canyons).

I’d imagine that hunt-rental will get some business from me this fall.

I ran 12x50s els every time I went out, even having 8x32,10x42 els even archery.
Now have 12nls and just picked up a 2nd pair and sold 12 els. They are so small in the hand. I don't pack my swaro 15hds unless wife or kids go. Outdoorsmans adapter, btx or spotter is all u need

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I thought the nl 12s were better for hand holding than the 12 els I had. One thing that doesn't get talked about is how much cleaner the image is. I think you can get away with less magnification in the nl. They're just that much better. The head rest is legit to. Definitely helps but I would still plan on using a tripod for the 12. I've tried the 8s also and was able to make things out better with nl 8s than I could el 10s. I ended up ordering the 10x nl with headrest.

BBob

WKR
NL’s total package is amazing, there isn’t anything else like them. I hand hold them with no forehead rest fine. They aren’t big at all to start with but the ergonomics make them feel even smaller in the hand. I went with 12x like many before me that are using BTX sized glass to cut down on weight. In a perfect world I’d have 10’s on my neck, 15’s and BTX in the pack. In practice having all three wasn’t worth it and pretty much never used the 15’s when carrying the big glass. The eye relief and FOV with the NL’s is crazy good and makes for really great glassing off a tripod.

I mostly glass of a tripod if it’s not just a quick look and the 12x nl is great. I feel it really shines 300+ yards and feel the only thing i don’t like is the sub 300 yards but I’m getting used to that feeling like i want to zoom out. Handholding for me is fine for quick looks and short range. Use the bill of your hat or i use my gun bearer as a brace to get real steady.

I have been running the NL 12x42 since March. Took them on a Ibex and barbary hunt in NM right when I got them. Plus, several outings glassing for sheds and spring brown bear hunting in Alaska. I have had them side by side with the new TA 10x42 EL (slight blue tint), 15x56 SLC(lower quality of glass), 10x42 NL. Before these, I had the 12x50 EL. I'm a freak about glass so here is my honest opinion without any hype. I just got the forehead rest and honesty disappointed, these binos benefit greatly mounted on a tripod.

Pros- Glass is slightly better then the EL. FOV is better, not life changing. Size and weight is freaking amazing, ability to install the tripod stud was easy and cheaper

Cons- Depth of focus feels reduced, I'm not getting the same "infinity clarity" as before, still hard to hold still like all other 12x.

Guys will claim to be able to do this but you're really going to miss the more stable image from 10x from off hand. It's just how it is. Put them on a tripod and they'll blow your mind how much you're missing from off hand. Even resting them on a hiking pole will stabilize the image significantly.