NM 16B help

CX5Ranch

WKR
I am guaranteeing you I would tell my boss I'd be back in a couple weeks. If he said no I'd say get that check ready asap. And I'm not kidding. If you're any hand at all he'll say kill a biggun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Haha, I love this forum. These replies are golden. Best of luck on your hunt, hope you can swing more days off!

I was in a nearby unit last year. It was 85 deg, we hiked a lot. We needed at least a gallon. We almost found ourselves in big trouble without enough water 1 day. We never found a water source to use our filters. No water...it’s bad news.

You have a once in a lifetime tag. If you’re not going to put in the time /effort for the tag you drew, I wouldn’t expect much from your hunt. Nothing is given out there, need to earn it.

Sorry a little jealous of the tag and sick to my stomach at the same time. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LWC

FNG
Tell us more. Where are you coming from? 3 days to hunt? 5 days total? Like everyone else has said. 3 days isn't nearly enough time to hunt elk. Maybe if you are a NM resident and live close enough to scout numerous times. If you can only hunt for three days, you really only have 1.5 days to hunt in order to have enough time to pack something out.

Thomas11

WKR
Turn in your notice and go for 10 plus days! That unit can turn up a giant. But the country will swallow u. The B unit is all wilderness and very remote just to get to the boundary. Hell it will take u three days almost just to get to the unit boundary depending on where u coming from. I’ve hunted it and we were 5 hrs to the nearest gas station from the truck

KHNC

WKR
A couple of good friends of mine hunted B for several years, back in the 90's . They hired a couple to pack them in 12 miles. Once someone killed , one of them had to hike the 12 miles back out to notify the packer. On their last trip one of them killed a 404 at a waterhole. This was in 2001 just prior to 9/11. They ended up getting stranded in NM for about 10 extra days due to no rental cars or flights. Im sure there are still some serious giants in that area now.

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
You need to have a plan on how you are getting one out. Killing an elk is easy, unless you have 5 friends, it could take you days to get one out of that country.

cgasner1

WKR
Post cracked me up because before I started scrolling down my thought was I’d quit have done it before guess I’m lucky to work in skilled labor where it’s not a issue best of luck man I’d go against save Ramsey on this one if you have to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jcarb

jcarb

FNG
Tell us more. Where are you coming from? 3 days to hunt? 5 days total? Like everyone else has said. 3 days isn't nearly enough time to hunt elk. Maybe if you are a NM resident and live close enough to scout numerous times. If you can only hunt for three days, you really only have 1.5 days to hunt in order to have enough time to pack something out.
I’m from New Mexico luckily so I’ve done plenty of scouting and pretty much have a lay of the land and where I need to hunt and where elk stay a lot of the time. I was able to swing a week at work! I was looking to make sure I have everything that would be needed.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
Lots of gear list threads and videos out there.

Can you tell us what gear you have and where you think you have gaps in your kit?

You can’t cheat the mountain

I've hunted mullies there before and you definitely need more time than 3 days. We hunted muzzleloader and could find any mullies, but we were covered up with elk. Water was tough to find.

codym

WKR
Rain gear, water sources and help. I killed a bull in 16 b last year first archery and guided a worker to a bull on the 2nd rifle. One came out on mules one on our backs. The rifle bull was October, shot him at the end of the day got to him at first light the next morning and packed him 7 miles. That meat was close to turning. Better have a plan to get it out quick.

Oh yeah almost forgot. Take bear spray and or a sidearm. Buy a bear tag. Then go kill an elk ;) 16 b is a wild and rugged place. Prepare yourself for that.

Attachments

• PICT0023.JPG
    PICT0023.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 31
Riplip would you still be willing to share some info on 16B? I drew 2nd archery for this fall. Currently in mass information gathering. Also looking to book an option to pack me in and out, or at least a pack out option due to the heat as everyone has already mentioned. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!