NM 2’s, January archery

Bobbyboe

WKR
I drew a January archery tag for one of the 2’s. I’ve rifle hunted the 2’s a few years ago and was able to take an upper 160’s buck. Now, that hunt was in October and the weather on this archery hunt will be considerably different. I am wondering if anyone could give some general advice on the type of terrain and cover to focus on during the January hunt? It’s my understanding the rut is over, so is this a food focused, or warm cover type of hunt? I’ve kept the post vague as I don’t want/intent to blow any one’s spots up.

Thank you in advance.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding of these units, is some variability. With 2c being less deer density vs 2 a/b. I had the January tag a few years back. Did see 2 outstanding bucks with does, both times from higher vantage points far away. But didn't get a stalk in. Never saw them again. Did see a lot of smaller bucks 3 by's and smaller 4 x 4 with does every day. I did see some bigger bucks bachelor ed up. I did see the smaller bucks routinely in the sage flats with does. The bigger bucks were in more of the choppy terrain, with more folds in the P& J country. Think I saw more elk on that hunt than deer. I didn't harvest so maybe you can take away what not to do. Would love to see how you end up on this hunt.

Was a lot of snow the year I had the tag. Take tire chains.... and a shovel or 2.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I’ll bring this post back to the top. I’m finalizing plans and narrowing down good looking areas. My trip will be Jan 1st through the 6th.

Anyone else have advice?

Trencher

FNG
It seems these hunt areas and dates are somewhat weather dependent, how’s the outlook is the winter weather on par this year ?

Be prepared for biting cold and slick caliche with ruts so deep you drag your oil pan for miles. Or it will be nice with dry/deep ruts. Tire chains are a must IMO. We never needed them, but real close...

Deer all over though!

bohntr

WKR
The rut is on right now in that region……roads are like concrete in the morning……slick as snot in the afternoons. Better bucks will be away from most public roads and in those bitterbrush patches. You may see a little rutting activity, but for the most part it will be a post rut hunt, from my experience.

CAM_D

FNG
I’ll bring this post back to the top. I’m finalizing plans and narrowing down good looking areas. My trip will be Jan 1st through the 6th.

Anyone else have advice?
My son is hunting the January archery youth hunt in 2b. This is his first archery hunt, and he's been preparing every day. I've hunted 2c in January about 4 years ago and there were deer everywhere. They're used to seeing all the trucks from the well workers passing by, so they aren't typically worried about them. I took a decent deer on the 3rd day. My buddy missed at least 10 shots on that hunt, and went home without a deer. The mud is a real concern. When it's frozen, it's fine, but the afternoons can get really sloppy.

I hunted 2b several years ago and it snowed 12-24 inches a couple days prior over the unit. Wish I had snow shoes as the snow got crunchy and very difficult to walk thru. Tons of deer but getting close was tough under the conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CAM_D

FNG
I hunted 2b several years ago and it snowed 12-24 inches a couple days prior over the unit. Wish I had snow shoes as the snow got crunchy and very difficult to walk thru. Tons of deer but getting close was tough under the conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I experienced that crunchy snow the beginning of my 2C hunt. My son and I will take snow shoes this time just in case.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Don't look past the advise to bring chains for all four tires.
Look where other aren't looking, seems simple but lots of road hunters that never get 100 yards away from truck.
Hope for cold and snow, Good luck!

Wapiti1

WKR
I'll be in 2C. Hoping for NO snow so I can stalk. Unless you can float on air, nothing can get you close in crunchy snow.

Talked to several folks, and antler size is good, but not great this year. Rain came a little late.

Really looking forward to it. Different country and hunting than I typically do for muleys. Should be a lot of fun.
And I don't have to get up at 3am or get to bed after 10pm.

Jeremy

CAM_D

FNG
Don't look past the advise to bring chains for all four tires.
Look where other aren't looking, seems simple but lots of road hunters that never get 100 yards away from truck.
Hope for cold and snow, Good luck!
I took chains the first time I went out to 2C, and needed them because I was on regular tires. I slid off the road twice that trip. When I went back I was on 35" mud terrains and didn't have big enough chains for them. We didn't ever come close to being stuck. I am hauling a side by side up this time and will drive that if the roads get bad enough. After typing this, I'm sure I'll get stuck this year...

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Honest?

Why the higher preference towards the Jan season. Rut can't be the only factor. Guess I'd rather not deal with snow, chains and shoveling, would opt to bake in the sun personally.

But after dealing with snow in the Dakotas for 6 months a year. Maybe my view of winter is a little distorted to what they deal with.

CAM_D

FNG
Honest?

Why the higher preference towards the Jan season. Rut can't be the only factor. Guess I'd rather not deal with snow, chains and shoveling, would opt to bake in the sun personally.

But after dealing with snow in the Dakotas for 6 months a year. Maybe my view of winter is a little distorted to what they deal with.
The big deer get pushed down from Colorado that time of year too.

Wapiti1

WKR
Honest?

Snakes. I have little fear of snakes in January.

Jeremy

It’s a fun hunt but it can get bitterly cold! Not many snakes there even during the early hunt. Rut is over during this hunt. There might be a few stragglers but it’s over for the most part. The deer do not move into 2c from CO. That would be 2b and 2a. That doesn’t happen often though because the weather doesn’t push them that far south till later. If there isn’t much snow around Ignacio then the deer have no reason to move farther south. Used to hunt it every year when it was otc and all one unit instead of 3 subunits.