NM Antelope

Well my son pulled first rifle on his last choice for antelope. And please let me leed in with this. I am not asking where the big bucks are, or where "secrete rock" is. I am asking if anyone has any knowledge of this unit that could recommend a good camping spot for the Jumping Jack, and just some general info on the unit. We will show up early to scout, not afraid to work, and just looking for some info if this hunt will be a "fun hunt" for my son, or "shot the first buck you see".

Thank you a heads for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

twdjr

WKR
Congrats to your son!

Not familiar with the unit. Looking at the map it appears most of the state land is in the North and Eastern part of the unit.

CAM_D

FNG
Well my son pulled first rifle on his last choice for antelope. And please let me leed in with this. I am not asking where the big bucks are, or where "secrete rock" is. I am asking if anyone has any knowledge of this unit that could recommend a good camping spot for the Jumping Jack, and just some general info on the unit. We will show up early to scout, not afraid to work, and just looking for some info if this hunt will be a "fun hunt" for my son, or "shot the first buck you see".

Thank you a heads for any help.
How did it go for you? 3 of my kids drew doe tags this October. I've only ever archery hunted pronghorn. I've driven through that area and there are a lot of animals, but like you I'm looking for a place to put the pop up camper. I hope your son had a great time.

Last edited:
Following as well. I drew a buck tag for August. I’m planning on the first night staying at Mills Rim Campground, then playing it by ear. I was planning on bringing a trailer, but my friends in NM scared me away with their tweaker stories…

All New Mexico State land is a go for hunting, right? I can’t find anything that says otherwise.

CAM_D

FNG
Following as well. I drew a buck tag for August. I’m planning on the first night staying at Mills Rim Campground, then playing it by ear. I was planning on bringing a trailer, but my friends in NM scared me away with their tweaker stories…

All New Mexico State land is a go for hunting, right? I can’t find anything that says otherwise.
State land allows hunting but no camping.