NM Barbary Sheep units 29 & 30

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
A friend and I have drawn the Barbary sheep tags for New Mexico in units 29 and 30 and I have been talking with a few people and pouring over information online and onXmaps. We have taken 15 days off so will be down there for the first half of February. I figured I would reach out to this group for any helpful tips as well. I know animals are where animals are.

So far I have read up on them enjoying cholla cactus fruits and an association with them, there is variability in how the wind affects them and that in extremely high winds they can be found in deep and steep canyons. A this time of year the rams will be in smaller groups away from the larger groups of mostly females. We have both talked about this a lot and do not plan on being picky and will enjoy the whole experience and be happy with what we find and will take advantage of any opportunity provided. Of course the final and major thing is glass, glass, glass, and then glass some more. When glassing look for any "V" that stands our and inspect it a little more. We will both be set up with binos and spotters on tripods to scan and pick a part the country the best we can. The Rim in the Lincoln National Forest looks good as well as some areas in the Guadalupe Escarpment Wilderness Study Area along the Texas border to me based off internet scouting. We do not plan on having a stationary base camp, but will be mobile and making day treks, bringing plenty of fluids, and then returning to the pickup to camp for the evening or move in different directions if needed.

If anyone feels like sharing some other pointers I would be more than thankful. I know I will have some beautiful photos of the field to share when we return and hopefully there might be a few other more specific photos as well!

-Brett

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been trying to draw for about 6 years no luck for me yet. I wish I had some info to help you guys out but got nothing. Good luck hope you post a trip report when you finish your hunt. Subscribed to follow along

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

smitho

FNG
I don't know anything about those units but I went with a buddy on his OTC hunt last year and had a blast. Couple things that you probably already know but I found out the hard way. Every damn thing down there sticks or pokes so good heavy duty boots help a lot, theres too much cactus to try to avoid. Trekking poles definitely made all the difference, I didn't have any to start but my buddy lent me his extra pair and they kept me from busting my butt numerous time. Also in the area we were at a little rope could be a lifesaver as we ran into some pretty nasty terrain where it would have been safer if we would have had some rope. Anyway keep us posted and good luck

OP
R

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. Curious as my friend and I were just talking about camping. I initially planned on just using my 6-man, but he is worried about all the different things that could crawl in (i.e., millipedes, centipedes, uncommon spiders that we don't know) and since we haven't been in NM before I was wondering what is roaming around that country at that time of the year? Should be just take a regular tent?

Last edited:

jspradley

WKR
Thanks for the replies. Curious as my friend and I were just talking about camping. I initially planned on just using my 6-man, but he is worried about all the different things that could crawl in (i.e., millipedes, centipedes, uncommon spiders that we don't know) and since we haven't been in NM before I was wondering what is roaming around that country at that time of the year? Should be just take a regular tent?

It'll likely be rather buggy at that time of the year... I'd personally bring a tent if bugs are going to a concern.

El_fuego

FNG
Just came back from a otc hunt. Expect very rough terrain, you’ll glass from the bottom and hike your tail off to get a shot. Take your time and pace your hike, they won’t travel to far from where you glassed em. Didn’t notice any bugs out at all if they changes your thoughts on tents. Cold cold nights, nice days. Good luck.

OP
R

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
The hunt was a great time (if you enjoy being dusty, dirty, smelly, a little dehydrated, and grinding out the days like I do). After a few vehicle issues getting down there we were pretty excited to get in the hills. I'll write up something a little better later with a few photos, but long story short we were both able to punch our tags after a long week and then with time left got a few javelina. I finally know what hardcore eye fatigue feels like and it is amazing how glassing and waiting for rocks to move from sun up to sun down makes time fly by...............I personally struggled either not looking in the right spot at the right time or maybe I just didn't have the eyes this round and my buddy found the Barbary sheep before I did, in fact I found a guy taking a dump on a side hill 2 miles away before I even found a sheep (if someone here was down there hunting in a group of 3 and you were the only one without a tripod for your binos I am sorry I spotted your bag of TP and snow white thighs moving in the distance!). We saw some dandies one evening just after sunset without time to make ground on them, but like I said we were not going to be picky. I shot a female with 17" horns and my buddy shot one a little smaller.

bigharge

WKR
Congrats on a successful trip. I was starting to believe there weren't any sheep in unit 30, but hearing your success encourages me to keep at it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Baerman

FNG
RamDreamer...This post is a little outdated but I DM'd you with some general questions about the area if you are still lurking around.
Thanks!